U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 AM

10,271 posts, read 16,748,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Few of us have spines that are perfectly symmetrical. All of us have curves in our spines. If you actually have an abnormal curvature --- scoliosis --- that is usually picked up at an early age by the pediatricians these days. If you do have scoliosis, no chiropractic manipulation is going to repair it.

It is likely that the things pointed out to you on the x rays are perfectly normal variations.

It is interesting that you do not describe muscle pain, just tension and it is improved temporarily by massage.

You do not need a chiropractor.

Evaluate your activities. Which muscles are tense? If it's your neck and back, are you doing anything to strain them: lifting children, carrying a heavy shoulder bag, heavy yard work? (My neck and shoulders have been bothering me because we have a large, stubborn puppy that pulls on the leash. ) Are your muscles weak because you are not exercising?

If you identify a problem, fix it.

If you feel "heavy," is it because you are overweight? If so, do something about it. Improve your diet. Start exercising.

Have someone in your family learn the massage techniques that you find most helpful.

Start a yoga class. That will increase flexibility, stretch your muscles, and reduce the tension headaches.

Yoga will also help with mood. I think your GP is wise. The tone of your original post does suggest an element of depression. Lexapro is a very benign drug, and you really have nothing to lose by trying it for a few weeks. You might find it helps while you do the other things I have suggested.

There is no way that a chiropractor could "predict" how many sessions you would need. He will keep you coming back as long as you keep paying. And you will be told you need many unnecessary x rays.

And chiropractic cannot do anything for your sinuses. See your GP for that.
This is a great post. And just by reading this thread, it seems that many of us had the same "abnormalities" pointed out to us on Xrays from chiros. They took plenty of my money, with not much fixed so to speak. And after working for one of them, I saw how the whole thing is really about getting as much $$$ from the insurance as possible. Please, save your money OP, and follow the advice in the above post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,626,706 times
Chiropractors definitely serve an important and valid function in the medical world. I have experienced success as a patient on more than one occasion.

However - what Suzy said, in summary form:

1. All healthy spines have curves.
2. If the curve is sideways, then it's scoliosis, and would have been detected years ago and would be accompanied by pain and discomfort walking, years ago.
3. If the curve is an extreme inward curve at the lower spine, then it would be accute lordosis and would have developed as a toddler and would have been diagnosed and treated before adulthood.
4. Humans aren't built perfectly symmetrical; one side of the body is bigger/weaker/thinner than the other. This includes the hips, and the length of the femur (thigh bone). If yours are -that- uneven, then wearing corrective inserts in your shoes will - correct it.

It sounds like your chiropractor is another one of those unfortunate types who cling to the latest "non-invasive trends" and spew them out (for a modest fee) to whoever their favorite guru has determined is worthy of the treatment. There are lots of those types out there. It's unfortunate, because there are also lots of genuine responsible knowledgeable chiropractors who don't believe their own hype, and their reputations are being ruined by the bad press of the irresponsible ones.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,334,632 times
I don't have a great deal of experience, but in my opinion, you are likely to get better results by consulting a professional physical therapist.

I had sciatic nerve pain from what an MRI indicated to be Degenerative Disc Disease. My treatment options were Chiropractic, or a steroid injection, massage, or physical therapy. I chose PT, and got excellent results.

On of the things that appealed to me about PT, was that it is all theoretical, and practitioners need only to KNOW what they are talking about, and they explained to me how my own body can be led to heal itself. Whereas Chiropractic and Massage actually required a practitioner who is capable of mechanically doing the right things, and that is a variable.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM

361 posts, read 427,530 times
jtur88 has an excellent point. I have a coworker with headaches/neck issues who sees a PT and swears by him. He says the PT did more for him than a chiropractor could. It's worth a shot...

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 468 times
Default Massage Can Do Wonders.

There are many forms of massage that can offer a variety of therapeutic benefits. Massage can help relax tight and painful muscles, improve range of motion in the joints, enhance circulation and lower stress levels. This is important because stress is considered a risk factor for many chronic diseases, and stress can make any symptoms you have worse. Since there are many therapies available, it is important to understand some basics about how massage therapy reduces stress. It may then take a period of trial and error to find the right therapist and approach.
Introduction
Massage therapy encompasses many techniques. With some types, the client gets undressed and is covered with sheets during the session, and with other types the client remains clothed. The massage therapist may use her hands, elbows or feet to administer the treatment. Some forms of massage use oils. According to the Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, some of the main forms of massage are Swedish, deep tissue, sports, reflexology and trigger point. There are also forms of massage that use warm stones and other devices to release tension and promote relaxation. Since there are so many forms available, it can also be helpful to talk with several massage therapists about what their specific types of massage offer.
Considerations
To understand how massage therapy can help stress, it is important to understand how stress affects the body. Stress can be a positive motivator, such as when striving for a promotion at work or accomplishing an important task. Stress can also be temporary, such as when you are stuck in traffic or delayed at the airport. However, the American Psychological Association states that feelings of stress can also be chronic, such during financial difficulties, chronic illness or dealing with family issues. It is not the event that is the main concern, but rather the response to the event. When the brain senses any kind of stress, various reactions take place to raise the heart rate and blood pressure, tighten the muscles and decrease activity in other areas to conserve energy. Feelings of stress that continue for long periods can have detrimental effects on the body. The solution is to find other ways of dealing with stressors along with using techniques to calm the mind and body. Massage is one of those techniques.
General Benefits
The Mayo Clinic states that when administered by a well-trained and licensed practitioner, massage therapy is safe and can help with many symptoms, including stress, depression and anxiety. Part of managing stress is taking time to shift the mind away from everyday worries and to allow the body and mind to relax. The time spent in a massage can be used to focus on relaxing the body. It can promote feelings of being in control over your health and can play an active role in managing chronic illnesses. Many massage techniques are practiced in a quiet and low lit room. Some therapists have soft music in the background and use candles or incense that give off aromas that help the body and mind relax.
Muscular Benefits
Activation of the stress response causes muscles throughout the body to tense up. When the event ends, the muscles relax. However, if stress is constant, the muscles may remain in a slightly tensed state on a regular basis. This can lead to joint aches and pains, headaches, chronic back and neck pain and other symptoms. However, the National Institutes of Health claims that massage therapy can help. A massage therapist can use various techniques to rub, stroke, stretch or apply pressure to the muscles to help them return to a relaxed state, which in turn can reduce stress-related aches and pains.
Immune and Digestive System Benefits
To have the required energy to respond to stress, the body suppresses digestive and immune systems. Circulation is increased to the heart, muscles and lungs and is directed away from areas that are not needed to help in the response. If feelings of stress are chronic, this can lead to decreased immune system activity in general, which increases the risk of colds, flus and immune system diseases. Chronic problems with digestion and elimination can also accompany chronic stress. However, massage can help restore normal circulation, improve immune system activity and play a role in restoring normal digestive system function, according to the Johns Hopkins Integrative Medicine and Digestive Center.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,207,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
NOEM...please . Also, I bought one of those curved neck support pillows and it has also helped greatly. Uncomfortable at first (and expensive), but you will get used to it. It saves me on trips to the chiropractor.
My PT taught me to use a rolled-up towel put inside a pillowcase of a fairly flat pillow instead. A cheap fix & it works well.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:31 PM

7,509 posts, read 11,227,327 times
Chiropractic is OK, but a $500 Chi machine works much better for me. The $500 is a ONE time cost, but you can keep using the CHi Machine over and over again...with no additional cost, whereas Chiropractic will set you back approx $50 every time you have an adjustment. For me anyway, the Chi machine is not only less costly than Chiropractic, it is also more effective.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM

242 posts, read 241,803 times
Get the book Pain Free by Pete Egoscue (I believe he is a PT). Costs $15 on Amazon or maybe $17. Following the advice in this book has worked wonders for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness