Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times

Advertisements

I believe the last time I vomited was in 2000. It occurred the morning after a particularly heavy night of drinking. My cousin was in town, and I drank so much on the night in question that I simply passed out. When I woke up, I lit a cigarette and immediately projectile vomited across the living room floor, emptying my entire stomach contents in the process. I spent the rest of the day dry-heaving in a state of unimaginable misery.

I don't drink now, however I was in my early 20's back then, and it wasn't uncommon for me to get wasted like that. Having said that, in the interim between then and now I've suffered multiple flu viruses, one bout of pneumonia (which made me decide to quit smoking), and a small handful of drunken episodes on par with the one that made me barf the last time. However, I haven't puked at all......in twelve years.

Most people that I know vomit at least several times a year. My sister vomits quite often, as do other members of my family. My girlfriend vomits at the slightest hint of nausea. Usually any digestive issues I have are of the lower intestinal tract variety though. I consider myself extremely lucky to not be a frequent vomiter, as I absolutely hate the act of doing it. I do however find myself to be alone (at least in the circle of people who I know personally) in the rareness of my vomiting.

Am I a medical anomaly because I no longer vomit? Will I vomit more frequently as I become older, or will I continue to be blessed with this "winning streak" that I've had over the past decade and change? I know you're probably laughing at me right now, but this is a serious health question that I'm asking. Most people tell me it's weird that I don't vomit, so I'm just trying to broaden the number of opinions on my odd circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
No, that just means you should be grateful. Your family and your GF, on the other hand... how do they function if things make them sick that often?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I opened this thread because I couldn't imagine why anybody would bring it up(no pun intended)
I can't begin to remember when anyone in our household last did....except the dog.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I believe the last time I vomited was in 2000. It occurred the morning after a particularly heavy night of drinking. My cousin was in town, and I drank so much on the night in question that I simply passed out. When I woke up, I lit a cigarette and immediately projectile vomited across the living room floor, emptying my entire stomach contents in the process. I spent the rest of the day dry-heaving in a state of unimaginable misery.

I don't drink now, however I was in my early 20's back then, and it wasn't uncommon for me to get wasted like that. Having said that, in the interim between then and now I've suffered multiple flu viruses, one bout of pneumonia (which made me decide to quit smoking), and a small handful of drunken episodes on par with the one that made me barf the last time. However, I haven't puked at all......in twelve years.

Most people that I know vomit at least several times a year. My sister vomits quite often, as do other members of my family. My girlfriend vomits at the slightest hint of nausea. Usually any digestive issues I have are of the lower intestinal tract variety though. I consider myself extremely lucky to not be a frequent vomiter, as I absolutely hate the act of doing it. I do however find myself to be alone (at least in the circle of people who I know personally) in the rareness of my vomiting.

Am I a medical anomaly because I no longer vomit? Will I vomit more frequently as I become older, or will I continue to be blessed with this "winning streak" that I've had over the past decade and change? I know you're probably laughing at me right now, but this is a serious health question that I'm asking. Most people tell me it's weird that I don't vomit, so I'm just trying to broaden the number of opinions on my odd circumstances.
I have the same problem, I can count on one hand the number of times in my life I have actually done that. I have on occasion gotten the dry heaves and I don't know what's worse; throwing up or not getting whatever your body is trying to get rid of out of your system.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
1986 here.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM

233 posts, read 753,319 times
I find I can hold it back a lot of times...one thing though --> one of my friends in college gave me something that tasted like synthetic orange and later made me vomit like crazy, that orange taste was just so bad ... now I kind of have a weak stomach, I dont vomit but I get nauseous and start gagging easily

i mostly find it funny and try not to fight it...

i usually vomit once a year... usually around xmas time when i am around a lot of people ... uh oh its getting that time...

Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
I rarely vomit too, which is good because I have a vomit phobia! Last time I threw up was in April 2008. Hopefully I can continue that streak for a few more years.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
About a month or so ago, I started taking a "whole food supplement" and there was something in it that really did not agree with me. I took them fine for 9 days and then on the 10th day I got sick and threw up...oh...I thought maybe it was the flu or something I ate.

Unfortunately, I tried again the next day and I can honestly say I could not have been sicker if I'd had food poisoning. I was laying on the bathroom floor, as sick as a dog for at least 30 minutes. I had to keep telling myself to lay on my side instead of my back so if I threw up again, I wouldn't choke.

I threw the supplements away the next day.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Well I almost never do either, even when I really want to. I get motion sickness pretty badly and the nausea gets so bad that I wish I could, but it won't happen. Another time I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and took an adderall by accident--it was like 12:30 am and I usually take them first thing in the morning but I was so grogged I didn't know what I was doing. I tried to gag myself to throw it up, but it was useless. I guess it means we have a little "trapdoor" in working order, eh? I mean, I rarely get heartburn either.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
I've been with my husband 11 years never once seen him vomit. The only time I've vomited since middle school was when I was pregnant and god help me did I puke like no other for all 37 weeks I was pregnant multiple times a day. I'm fairly certain I feel as if I've reach my vomit limit for the next 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness