U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 6,665,418 times

Advertisements

Seems I have chronic morning sinus headaches. I wake up with a low-grade pressure around my face, and a lot of sinus congestion.

I find the only thing that works is pseudaphed, 2 cups hot coffee, and flonase (an RX nasal spray). I've been to doctors, they prescribe antibiotics, which help for ahwile, then it comes right back. I don't want to be on antibiotics long-term. I have a friend who was on LT antibiotics for sinus problems, she ended up with severe GI problems, nearly died from diarrhea and related complications.

So, any other solutions? Wonder if there's any LT side effects to pseudaphed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Use the Flonase at night to keep your nasal passages open. Don't know about the other question.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 102,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Seems I have chronic morning sinus headaches. I wake up with a low-grade pressure around my face, and a lot of sinus congestion.

I find the only thing that works is pseudaphed, 2 cups hot coffee, and flonase (an RX nasal spray). I've been to doctors, they prescribe antibiotics, which help for ahwile, then it comes right back. I don't want to be on antibiotics long-term. I have a friend who was on LT antibiotics for sinus problems, she ended up with severe GI problems, nearly died from diarrhea and related complications.

Seems like you might have a chronic irritant/deviation. Are there any times where you wake up fine? Are you getting enough sleep or too much sleep? Have you tried any of these things:

How to get phlegm out of your nose and throat in the morning

Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,456,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Drink plenty of water to prevent secretions getting too thick (sorry!)
Also- if you can find eucalyptus oil, or you can use vicks chest rub, stick 3 drops or a dollop into some VERY HOT water in the handbasin. Put your head over the basin with a towel over the top and down the sides of the basin so the steam doesn't escape.

I used to have a special pot that you filled with hot water and something like above, and then the top of it was shaped to fit around your nose and mouth.
Was a lot like this
Vicks Steam Therapy Portable Size: V1300

Pseudafed is not good to take longterm as it dries up secretions in your nose. Normal secretions are essential to allow your nasal cilia and hairs to trap dust and bacteria and stop them going further into the respiratory tract.
If the gunk is infected then you want it to come out, not dry up and stay up there.

If you have a real bacterial sinus infection then you would be generally unwell eg shivery, maybe a temperature, feeling achy etc.If not , then antibiotics are not usually required.

Oh- and try and cut back on dairy produce if you can.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
1. Get a new pillow.
2. Use a different detergent to wash your pillowcases, and wash them often.
3. Make sure the headboard is dusted, a few hours before bedtime, so whatever dust is there, is settled when you lay down.
4. Use breathe-right strips.

Morning headaches are often caused by old pillows. Even if you have one of those hypoallergenic synthetic jobs, just having a lump in the wrong place is enough to add pressure to a sinus when you turn your head while sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness