U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,263,144 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have one? Me and my husband were looking at the prices, and for that amount of money..."it better be good"!!!We were just wondering do you have any experience with this bed? All the answers will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 AM

13,371 posts, read 39,849,862 times
We have one.

Pro: I love how it feels, the way it is firm yet conforms to my body.
Most of the year, I sleep like a baby on it.

Con: It took my husband longer to get used to it.
Also, I think during the warmer months it retains heat a bit. This could be because we have an older model (we've had it for several years.)

Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 AM

60 posts, read 315,905 times
I've owned a Tempurpedic for over a year now (maybe two). Before that, I've gone through several very expensive beds to try to help with my back pain that I suffer only at night (for many years) -- pain bad enough to where I couldn't roll over.

I have a Tempurpedic Deluxe. They come in several types that also range in prices. For me, it all started with a $99 pillow, and went from there. I checked out several web sites to view the different types of mattresses. Although I think the sites all charge the same price for that particular model - but it's good research.

Now, how do I like it? I love it. Slept pain free until just recently, I've been getting back pain again, but I wouldn't ever go back to a regular spring mattress. I don't feel the pinch points on the hips like I did on an innerspring. I also have several of their pillows, and use different ones frequently. The bed is a bit warmer than an innerspring mattress, but I like that in the winter. In the summer, I have a mattress pad (from Tempurpedic), and it seems to cut down on the warmth a bit. I also suspect that since it's warmer in the room, the mattress is a little softer (or it might have just broken in), hence my recent back pain.

I believe that Tempurpedic will let you try it out for 3 or 4 months. Might be worth looking into.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 47,561 times
I have one too and love it. I bought it cheap from a friend who needed a larger size. Mine is old and I plan to buy a new soon.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,146,070 times
I had one, HATED it...my husband and I gave it to the daughter.

Found out by accident when the house across the street exploded in Feb 2003 and the gas lines in the neighborhood were shut off for 4 days in -10 degree weather, that it WILL freeze, HARD as a rock.

We never got comfortable in it. It was too hard. My body ACHED from sleeping in it. Hard to roll over. It was okay if you slept in one position all night long. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 03:33 PM

12,695 posts, read 20,806,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Does anybody have one? Me and my husband were looking at the prices, and for that amount of money..."it better be good"!!!We were just wondering do you have any experience with this bed? All the answers will be greatly appreciated.
I know what you mean - even second hand tempurpedic mattresses are costly! They used to let you try the bed out for free for several months and if you didn't like it then you were not obligated to buy it - I wonder if that is still the case. In any event, I bought mine about two years ago and have never regretted it. I used to wake several times during the night in pain, trying to re-position myself so that I wouldn't be in agony (in my old beds).

It may be true that the bed is good for sleeping in one position all night long - because you will sleep soundly and wake up in the same comfortable position full of energy instead of fussing around all night long on a spring bed, looking for a comfortable position over and over.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,146,070 times
Quote:
It may be true that the bed is good for sleeping in one position all night long - because you will sleep soundly and wake up in the same comfortable position full of energy instead of fussing around all night long on a spring bed, looking for a comfortable position over and over.
While that may be great for some, for others, it means waking in agony from being too stiff. I need to be able to move while sleeping to avoid being stiff. Wasn't able to do that in mine. Liz

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,082,584 times
Whatever you do, don't buy a Sleep Number bed. My 3 word summary on it is:

Glorified Air Mattress

Wasted $2k, I hate it and sleep in the recliner. My wife sort of likes it, but she thinks it is no better than a plain old Sealy Posturpedic as far as comfort goes.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

216 posts, read 1,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
We bought a tempurpedic as a "last resort" because my husband was having so much trouble sleeping because of his back. We heard good things, so we jumped in. We are so glad we did! In his words "it has changed my life." We both sleep so much better, and are not constantly being woken up by the other one flipping around.

It does take a few weeks to break in. It is extremely stiff at first. We let our kids jump on it to get rid of that initial firmness too! They loved it of course. Now, after six months, it seems like a custom bed.

It might take some time to get used to. It is very different than traditional mattresses. I would never go back to a traditional mattress again though.

I wish you well!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,263,144 times
THANK YOU GUYS!!!I'll make sure to leave you a rep point. Thank you for taking some time to answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness