U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 PM

7,439 posts, read 2,341,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No she is 75. She camps, goes to amusement parks, white water rafter, canoeing....

You make your choices, which is everyone's right, but trying to convince others that all these supplements will give good health when it is not working well for you could prevent them from getting the appropriate help.

You started grape seed because you once read it might help with cancer. You are just another pill popper, Rx or supplements, you are looking for a miracle in a pill. The only difference is Rx contains what is advertised, your supplements don't, and you don't even care.

I think what we are seeing mostly is the placebo effect, if someone believes something, sometimes that is enough. But what you are finding is that is not always enough, sometimes you need a trained professional.

And Dr. Google is not one. Every whack job in the world has a website. You do know how page views and advertising work right?
And again I don't like to be compared to anyone on public forums especially. I'm glad your mom does all she does, we all choose our paths, and my choice has been alternatives for the last 25+ years. I certainly don't talk about your health issues and RA that you've brought up. And certainly don't compare you to no one else nor anyone here for that matter.

And yes I am holding faith that I won't end up with cancer(s) due to what I take. And that is my choice, Mikala. No one else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 2,534,038 times
I have only had my "very own" personal doctors twice in my life. A pediatrician 58 years ago. An OB/GYN 33 years ago, which was my last regular doctor visits. I have had maybe 4 quick work physicals in my entire life. Other than that, I have been to a doctor twice in three decades. Once for hives (total waste of time) and food poisoning. I haven't had the flu in decades and never went to a doctor when I had it. Caught that stomach flu from my grandson 2 years ago, but that was over in 24 hours all by itself.

So other than those two times, I haven't been to a doctor on a regular basis in 33 years since my younger daughter was born. How many people today my age can say the same? No doctor equals no medications, or tests. Other than a vaccination in 1969 going overseas, my last vaccination was in 1952, for a total of about 5 when I was a child. Compare that to kids, and adults, of today.

While people like me may be in the minority of the general population for our age, even at only 10% that still has to equal millions of us.

We do exist, despite what media tells you.

Edit: I am probably going to get a lot of flack for this comment, but it seems people my age like to brag about how many medications and how many "procedures" (that is an OFFICE term) they have had. It is something to be PROUD of? Sorry, but I do not think so. You are proud of being sick???? No, it is not a given of old age.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-12-2017 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have only had my "very own" personal doctors twice in my life. A pediatrician 58 years ago. An OB/GYN 33 years ago, which was my last regular doctor visits. I have had maybe 4 quick work physicals in my entire life. Other than that, I have been to a doctor twice in three decades. Once for hives (total waste of time) and food poisoning. I haven't had the flu in decades and never went to a doctor when I had it. Caught that stomach flu from my grandson 2 years ago, but that was over in 24 hours all by itself.

So other than those two times, I haven't been to a doctor on a regular basis in 33 years since my younger daughter was born. How many people today my age can say the same? No doctor equals no medications, or tests. Other than a vaccination in 1969 going overseas, my last vaccination was in 1952, for a total of about 5 when I was a child. Compare that to kids, and adults, of today.

While people like me may be in the minority of the general population for our age, even at only 10% that still has to equal millions of us.

We do exist, despite what media tells you.

Edit: I am probably going to get a lot of flack for this comment, but it seems people my age like to brag about how many medications and how many "procedures" (that is an OFFICE term) they have had. It is something to be PROUD of? Sorry, but I do not think so. You are proud of being sick???? No, it is not a given of old age.

The less I can go to doctors, the more Proud I am. I did go to allergist a lot before I found grape seed ex and was a young trusting person that his "stuff" would cure me. Looking back, oh my what I didn't know and all those people lined up in his office for their weekly injections...he even gave me instructions on how to inject myself at home with his "curing" solutions...bullroar.

I have NOT gone to an allergist or taken allergy meds since 1995...I'm Proud of that.

Living with OA I do a lot on my own and don't run to docs for their drugs, and I'm Proud of that.

If I didn't have to check in with my integrative MD for refills on my few meds: thyroid and BP meds, I could see me never going to a doc's office.

But I may break down and go see the ortho surgeon for my knee, he saw me in Jan when I was in a wheelchair. Thank goodness I'm so much better and stronger but still dread a surgery on knee. That 4.5 months of hospital/rehabs was a once in a lifetime ordeal and I'd love to never see a rehab again.

Keeping healthy is something to be very proud of.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 PM

20,193 posts, read 13,449,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And again I don't like to be compared to anyone on public forums especially.
But YOU compare yourself all the time. You denigrate those who take medicine and go to doctors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 2,534,038 times
Jamin, \and I are basic agreement with modern medicine but we have our different paths to the same outlook. I take no supplements whatsoever, and basically just follow my instinct on what to eat, which since childhood 50+ years ago has never included fast food. Semi-vegetarian based on tastes alone. Anemia as a child and young adult. "MANGA was all I ever heard as a skinny kid". Can I have a SALAD, Mom?

While I have never liked meat, if I get a craving for it once in a while, I go with it. To me that means my body is telling me that I need it, or some kind of vegetarian substitute for it (beans, dark green veggies). I do believe you are what you eat. Raised in an Italian immigrant culture, and I can tell you it was not at all like your Olive Garden menu.

I had all those now "deadly" childhood diseases and survived as did millions of those of my generation. Add FLU to that also. I believe we humans are equipped with an immune system that is meant to protect us after having these diseases into our old age IF we do not artifically interfere with it.

As Jamin has said, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". My philosophy totally. You only go to a doctor when you are actually (very) sick. Otherwise, leave it alone. People today think only medicine has keep you alive.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Jo, it's true we've arrived at where we are on different paths...but arrived.

I was raised in 1/2 italian home and ate meats from day 1, spaghetti, breads, sweets, oh my goodness the sweets.... I was not a sick kid/adult with the exception of the nasty allergies and sore throats...I've talked about that here. Yes, my supps have made a huge difference in the last 25 yrs or so.

My mom always said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...and she limped to her death at 91. I'm limping much earlier than her as I did the hip replacement and she never did. Overall she did much better than me with no joint surgeries.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 3,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
From my perspective, observing many people, the 50s are a decade of reckoning for most. A person can correct poor eating and personal habits to get on a healthier road and carry them to next decade (or decades), or they do nothing and let the past pattern get the best of them. Many take the easy way out, and fade away. It can be hard to reverse decades of eating and living a certain way. And you could make a case that life is less fun these days, compared to more simple times. People have more "stuff" on their plate (more overworked), less free time, crazier/more dysfunctional politics, more awareness of issues regionally and around the world, less family time and connection, etc.
Totally agree - your 50s are the decade in which the consequences of your lifestyle choices, genetics, stress, etc. become obvious. With aging your ability to recover and overcome has declined. Most people still in decent shape in their 50s may make changes and extend their healthy lifespans into their 70s and beyond. People who continue to pursue harmful habits and make unhealthy choices can easily be dead by 60 and are increasingly likely to be in very poor health in later years.

Here is a list of things that commonly begin to become significant concerns to people in their 50s. I am leaving out the obvious ones (smoking, excessive drinking, poor diet) that just about everyone recognizes as serious health risks.

-A lot of sun exposure in your teens and 20s? Chronic skin problems likely in your 50s.
-Excessive/improperly performed impact exercise decade after decade? Joint problems, tendonitis, knee replacements, etc. are likely in your 50s.
-Workaholic/high stress career? Burnout and/or inability to adjust to corporate downsizing, layoffs, unexpected early retirement likely to be issues in your 50s.
-Inattention to relationships/frequent moves and business travel during your career? Divorce, isolation, loneliness may be serious issues once career is no longer your primary focus, likely in your 50s.

There are others such as sexual promiscuity, marital affairs, and high-risk occupations too. I wonder how many people in their younger "go-go" career/child raising years would heed the warnings of someone older regarding all this? Plain old aging and your genetics are going to affect your health eventually, so why accelerate the process.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,673,022 times
excellent post Birdman03!!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,411,622 times
To each his own. I think some people are doctored to an extreme. I have friends that go to the doctor for every little thing. For every pill you take there is a side effect that may be detrimental. I prefer to stay away from doctors unless it is absolutely necessary and that is rare. I have only had 1 'check up' in 25 years and that was one too many.

Genetics plays a huge part in life/death IMO.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM

3,843 posts, read 1,193,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Are you seriously saying that mammograms cause breast cancer? Explain to me why women find out they have breast cancer at their FIRST mammogram including myself? And no, don't pull out the "family history" excuse. No one in my family had or has breast cancer.

Are you claiming that women are not told how to "go through menopause naturally"? By their mothers, sisters, aunts, friends? Every woman goes through it unless they have had all hormone-producing organs removed, its not some big secret conspiracy. I don't know any women who didn't do it naturally.
Did your first mammogram show cancer? Or did it show something suspicious that might be cancer?

My cardiologist got away with that once. He saw something suspicious and recommended a heart cath, which turned out to show nothing. But he got a bunch of Medicare money for his effort. And I went through a totally unnecessary procedure, complete with anesthesia. They won't fool me again with that little trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness