Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone has ever had this, or know someone who has? If so, did anyone experience any hair loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,763 times
Yes. I was hospitalised for 18 nights with this vile disease and medics tell me I am lucky to be alive. My hair has been falling out in handfuls for a month (I have been out of hospital for 2 1/2 months) and is now thin, weak and stringy. Doc says it is a side effect of the very strong antibiotics used to fight the infection, and it may reverse after 6 months - by which time I expect to be completely bald. While, of course it is better that the alternative (death) I do find this ver distressing.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM

324 posts, read 654,967 times
haven't heard of anyone getting this for years and years.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My BIL caught Legionnaires approximately six years ago. The health department tracked it to his dentist's office. He wasn't the only patient who caught it. He still has his hair, but he has been fighting recurring pneumonia ever since. He was the healthiest person prior to Legionnaires and now he's constantly battling infections.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
There is a Facebook group in which I posted about this named "Legionnaire's Support Group". I have learned there are many people who experience major hair loss at three-months out. The good news is that it starts re-growing at six-months out (I hope). I had Legionnaires the beginning of December, 2022 and started losing my hair the beginning of March, 2023. It fell out in Huge amounts during March. I've probably lost 60% of my hair. I am hoping the re-growth period will begin in June, 2023.
I have also learned that this was likely cause by the massive amounts of antibiotics I was fed in order to cure the disease.
I'm just grateful to be alive, and I've purchased a wig in order to feel my best. I hope this helps!

Old 05-21-2023, 09:49 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Stressful events such as a serious illness can cause a condition called telogen effluvium.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ut%20treatment.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:58 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
There's nothing particularly magic about Legionaire's Disease-- just another bacterial infection often missed, discounted as a "summer cold." The bug likes to live in the water reservoirs associated with AC systems (Ever been near one and felt that fine little mist in the air? That's often contaminated with the bug...

It got it's name because it wasn't a recognized infection prior to the summer of 1976 Veteran's convention in Phila where a bunch of fat, over-50, drunken carousers (impaired immune systems) all got it at the same time and there was an exceptional degree of morbidity and mortality associated with the out-break....In restrospect at that time, we realized the bug has been around for a long time and we just didn't know it.

I'm not aware that it causes any hair loss, although, as Suzie points out, any severe illness can cause that. I also seached it, and found only this research report title (no article or synopsis available) that apparently they've seen an increase in alopecia areata (small bald patches, usually auto-immune in nature) with it. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8080419/

Like any infection, severity and impact has more to do with the pt's ability to fight it than on the virulence of the bug itself.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:44 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
haven't heard of anyone getting this for years and years.

It's still fairly common to see outbreaks of LD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness