Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,380,432 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many different opinions here on how to treat the acne.

But your post didn't ask how she should treat her acne. You are concerned because she becomes defensive when you try to talk about the topic. I can totally relate to that.

I started getting cystic acne in my senior year of H.S. I went to a dermatologist who made it worse. I would occasionally talk to my mom about it, but no one else. My dad would talk about my acne behind my back but always within earshot (i.e. asking if someone was going to do something about my skin).

In my early years of college, I had a boyfriend who ordered an acne treatment plan over the phone and left it on my porch for me. I was humiliated. He then told me I wasn't fooling anyone with trying to cover up my skin with makeup and he thought he'd help me out. We broke up soon after.

My acne affected not only my appearance, but my self esteem and my confidence. I hated going out, I hated going to work, I hated facing people. It took me 10 years and tons of topical and oral treatments before giving in to my doc's suggestion to try Accutane. It worked, without side effects, within 3 weeks. As an adult, I now use Proactiv and the pill to keep my skin clear. And I am from the philosophy that stripping your skin of natural oils will make acne worse. I also believe occasional sun exposure helps...at least for me.

You have to let your daughter work it out on her own. Maybe just let her know you're there to talk to her and help her out if she needs advice regarding a skin regimen or treatment plan. She'll come to you when she is ready. Putting a person with acne on the spot is one of the worst things you can do. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,975,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Wow, so many different opinions here on how to treat the acne.

But your post didn't ask how she should treat her acne. You are concerned because she becomes defensive when you try to talk about the topic. I can totally relate to that.

I started getting cystic acne in my senior year of H.S. I went to a dermatologist who made it worse. I would occasionally talk to my mom about it, but no one else. My dad would talk about my acne behind my back but always within earshot (i.e. asking if someone was going to do something about my skin).

In my early years of college, I had a boyfriend who ordered an acne treatment plan over the phone and left it on my porch for me. I was humiliated. He then told me I wasn't fooling anyone with trying to cover up my skin with makeup and he thought he'd help me out. We broke up soon after.

My acne affected not only my appearance, but my self esteem and my confidence. I hated going out, I hated going to work, I hated facing people. It took me 10 years and tons of topical and oral treatments before giving in to my doc's suggestion to try Accutane. It worked, without side effects, within 3 weeks. As an adult, I now use Proactiv and the pill to keep my skin clear. And I am from the philosophy that stripping your skin of natural oils will make acne worse. I also believe occasional sun exposure helps...at least for me.

You have to let your daughter work it out on her own. Maybe just let her know you're there to talk to her and help her out if she needs advice regarding a skin regimen or treatment plan. She'll come to you when she is ready. Putting a person with acne on the spot is one of the worst things you can do. Trust me.
ok, I did something similar, but with a little different approach and outcome.
I began dating someone who had some acne, he was 21. I ordered him Proactiv[ this was after several months of dating] It cleared his face within one week!
Fast forward 20 years, he is now my husband and we have a 14 year old son with acne. This time the Proactiv didn't touch it! I tried everything with my son, including a dermatologist, antibiotics, many different products.
Then I found the book "Clear Skin" by Dan Kern. This regime works! And it is fast and easy. In a nutshell, it's using 2.5 % benzol peroxide very generously on the face twice a day [I think someone else mentioned this]
Maybe just get the book for your daughter and hopefully she will give it a try. Lots of other important info in there as well.
Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM

296 posts, read 636,418 times
i have the same problem and im over 35 but under 45. stated on birth control when i was younger..skin cleared up. went off after my hysterctomy and my skin was horrendous. went back on birth control. skin cleared up. so it was hormonal for me. gonna try bioidentical hormone testing soon. see what im missing. maybe she could try birth control pills. my daughter just started them for her skin.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 AM

16,847 posts, read 10,474,700 times
I hope you are still monitoring this board because this is a pet peeve of mine. I once suffered from acne... not anymore. This is 2011 and there is a way to cure, and mean cure acne. There is a drug called "Accutane". Accutate CURES acne. It doesn't make it better,it doesn't make it go away for a few weeks, it doesn't cover up the acne so it doesn't look so bad. Accuate makes Acne dead, gone, history. There are some side-effects that you should discuss before treatment. However, if you are at the end of your rope, have tried all of the other treatments to no avail, and still have a problem with acne, then I strongly suggest that you try Accutane. I get no money for this. This is just one internet person to another who thought his life was ruined by acne and discovered that there are other options...

Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Accutane ... There are some side-effects that you should discuss before treatment.
Yes, please DO discuss the side effects of Accutane with your doctor before trying it. My adult daughter tried to kill herself one month after starting Accutane. She had to be hospitalized and was taken off the Accutane, after which she never even thought about trying it again.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 AM

16,847 posts, read 10,474,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Yes, please DO discuss the side effects of Accutane with your doctor before trying it. My adult daughter tried to kill herself one month after starting Accutane. She had to be hospitalized and was taken off the Accutane, after which she never even thought about trying it again.
I agree. Accutane is a powerful medication and can have side-effects. You need blood test to check you triglyceride levels and you will be very dry. There may also be psychological side-effects. The treatment should be monitored no doubt. But I still think that the result of being acne free (forever) is something worth investigating.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,975,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I agree. Accutane is a powerful medication and can have side-effects. You need blood test to check you triglyceride levels and you will be very dry. There may also be psychological side-effects. The treatment should be monitored no doubt. But I still think that the result of being acne free (forever) is something worth investigating.
Um, psychological side effects vs being able to CONTROL the acne with a topical treatment?....... I'm thinking, I'd rather have some zits than potentially have my entire psyche changed.
It's like the commercials you see on TV for perscription drugs where people are talking about how wonderful it is. Then some one comes on to say, "side effects may include, A,B,C,D,E, and maybe even death!" Yeah! that sounds great, get me some of that.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post

A viable treatment i thought would be an obvious need.

PS. I'm the concerned Dad which might explain her reluctance to talk to me about it..

Thanks for all the responses so far..

Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,219,633 times
I used clindamycin Cleocin-T lotion (prescription) when I was a teenager, it reduced my acne by 90%. All of that over the counter stuff is crap.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,589,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Um, psychological side effects vs being able to CONTROL the acne with a topical treatment?.......
Accutane is not supposed to be used on patients with acne that can be controlled by other means. It is for severe recalcitrant (unresponsive) acne, not for minor acne that responds to topicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness