U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 AM
 
33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Reputation: 28484

Advertisements

My daughter is a beautiful young woman of 20yrs old her only problem is severe acne,She gets really mad if i initiate conversation about various solutions to the problem so i now keep my mouth shut..
She's tried just about everything on the market all to no avail,and seen dermatologists,it really bothers me that it really bothers her but i cant see anything i can do about it.
Does this acne ever go away?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 AM
 
14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
Reputation: 20214
I had acne from the age of 12 until I was 30. I tried everything and nothing worked -- until one day when (at the age of 30), out of desperation, I used plain ole rubbing alcohol. That worked! My skin was soon totally clear. I've been using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5-6 times a day for the past 35 years and my skin is lovely...very soft and smooth with no wrinkles at all.

I hope you can convince your daughter to try rubbing alcohol. What does she have to lose? It never dried out my skin but, even if it had, I'd rather have had dry skin than acne.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I had acne from the age of 12 until I was 30. I tried everything and nothing worked -- until one day when (at the age of 30), out of desperation, I used plain ole rubbing alcohol. That worked! My skin was soon totally clear. I've been using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5-6 times a day for the past 35 years and my skin is lovely...very soft and smooth with no wrinkles at all.

I hope you can convince your daughter to try rubbing alcohol. What does she have to lose? It never dried out my skin but, even if it had, I'd rather have had dry skin than acne.
So at age 65, you have no wrinkles at all? That's the math you're implying - you had acne until you were 30, and starting from that point, for the next 35 years, you had no acne at all because you were stripping all the oil from your skin 4-5-6 times per day.

Sorry, I don't believe you. Acne isn't caused by having too much oil. It's caused by having infected oil glands. Stripping the oil with rubbing alcohol causes the glands to produce MORE oil, to compensate for the loss. If the glands are infected, it will produce more infected oil. Until you reach an age where your glands aren't producing the oil that it used to. And then, you will strip oil, your body won't be able to compensate for the loss, and will shrivel and produce wrinkles instead.

Rubbing alcohol won't cause much damage to the skin if used on an individual, occasional zit. Used as an acne treatment, is not recommended. Alcohol kills bacteria. Alcohol doesn't discriminate between the bacteria your body needs to fight off infection, and the bacteria that causes infection. It will kill both. And make acne, which is - an infection - worse.

Acne usually goes away by itself, but some stubborn cases require antibiotics, or medically prescribed topical ointments. In certain female patients, low-dose birth control pills can control acne. For people with milder acne, over the counter acne treatments are beneficial. And - for the occasional, individual zit, a dab of alcohol will dry it up without compromising the rest of the skin.

Important for acne sufferers is to not try to "do" too much to the acne, to prevent scarring. Meaning, no picking, no scratching, no touching, just keep your fingers off it. Don't cake on the makeup - that just makes it worse. Check yourself for food alergies, and environmental allergies such as synthetic perfumes, especially in laundry detergents and fabric softeners. Change your pillowcase EVERY DAY.

Keep your face clean, but don't scrub it, and don't obsess about it. Wash at night, rinse in the morning. Keep a light moisturizer on during the day. If you are able, get some sun exposure daily.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
 
14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
Reputation: 20214
Believe me or not. I dont care. It's all true. And, yes, I'm 65 and have no wrinkles. That's one of the benefits of oily skin.

Below is a photo that I took after recent multiple surgeries when my hair was falling out from all the anesthesia.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Reputation: 18538
You sure look good for your age! But having an oily skin is what did it, not the alcohol. I spoke to a plstic surgeon recently about a procedure and she told me that oily skin was the best for aging well with little care.

To the OP: she can try taking PABA pills if they are still sold in health food stores. I took it for internal sun protection and it cleared up the adult acne I had. It also helped my teenage son and several other teens I told about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 AM
 
14,695 posts, read 18,758,669 times
Reputation: 20214
Thanks. That photo was taken the month that I turned 65. And I wasnt trying to imply that rubbing alcohol made my skin so soft and wrinkle-less. I know that oily skin ages well.

I was saying that using rubbing alcohol for 35 years hasnt harmed my skin. I know that many people think rubbing alcohol will make your skin look leathery and I was trying to explain that that didnt happen to me. I posted the photo only because of AnonChick's claim that I was lying about my skin.

My suggestion to the OP stands...that her daughter should give it a try.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Acne isn't caused by having too much oil. It's caused by having infected oil glands.
This is a common misconception/oversimplification. Acne is neither caused by having too much oil nor by having "infected" oil glands. It is caused by a tendency of the cells which line the pores to slough off into the pores at a greatly increased rate in acne sufferers compared with the rate in those with "normal" skin. These sloughed off cells mix with sebum & keratin to form a plug -called a comedone - a blackhead or a whitehead - this is non-inflammatory acne. If the comedone completely blocks the flow of air into the pore, it creates an anaerobic environment in the pore which can allow the P. acnes bacteria to grow out of control - this is inflammatory acne, in the form of pustules, cysts, etc. But all types of acne stem from that first cause - the comedone. Almost everyone's skin is "infected" with this strain of bacteria, yet only acne sufferers have acne. And not all acne is inflammatory. Inflammation (infection) is a secondary effect - a symptom, not a cause.

I would certainly not advise using rubbing alcohol as an acne treatment but it does serve a purpose - drying out the comedones causes them to shrink and that makes them easier to shed. Many acne treatments contain alcohol in the formula for this reason, even though most people find alcohol to be quite irritating, and irritation only exacerbates acne.

I advocate retinoids and retinoid-like products (like adapalene - Differin) as the only things that really regulate the production of comedones and truly break the cycle. Other products can help with some aspects of acne - for instance oral antibiotics can help with inflammation, but without something to stop the conditions that lead to that inflammation, you wind up needing to take them long term. There are consequences to taking antibiotics for a chronic condition. You can use benzoyl peroxide for its bacteria-killing abilities, but again it will not stop the comedones from forming, it only reduces inflammation. Yet if your acne is nodular (cystic), the BP can not reach under the comedone to kill the bacteria - it really only works on mild inflammatory acne. Something like salicylic acid is helpful as an exfoliator to help remove comedones but again it will not prevent new ones from forming.

To the original poster - if your daughter has tried everything, it is time to talk to a dermatologist about isotretinoin (Accutane). It is not without risks (or side effects) but it is truly effective for most people and often only one course is needed to clear a patient for the rest of their life.

Last edited by tilli; 09-30-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
 
22 posts, read 111,661 times
Reputation: 31
I don't completely agree with the idea that you absolutely must not "dry out" your skin if you have acne. I think it varies from person to person. Some people may be very irritated by alcohol, while others are not. I also don't agree that "less is more" for everyone. I've always had very oily acne prone skin. For me, an aggressive approach has always worked best. My skin is finally clear now that I use rubbing alcohol as a toner (along with other methods). I've always done the best using multiple products at once. For me, one or two mild products simply does not work. People with oily skin tend to be more resilient than others. I've heard that witch hazel is a good alternative to rubbing alcohol and less drying.

Last year I was having a horrible time with mild persistent acne. My entire face was constantly broken out in tiny little red pimples and they hurt! I even took oral antibiotics. What finally worked for me was doing light chemical peels. This is the peel that I started with and I love it. Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations
I also use Prosacea, which I love. Moderator cut: same as above mild and gets rid of redness. It's made for rosacea but works on acne too. It uses the same ingredient as the adult formula tinted Clearasil, but this stuff is clear and not drying.

I do have prescriptions which I use too. I sometimes use clindamycin antibiotic gel. Plus Tazorac cream (not gel!), which is sort of like a retinoid.

I hope this helps. I'd say the chemical peels is the most beneficial, but if I didn't use anything else along with it, I'd still have some mild acne. If I had to pick a second best product it would be the benzoyl peroxide cream.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-30-2011 at 12:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
 
22 posts, read 111,661 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My daughter is a beautiful young woman of 20yrs old her only problem is severe acne,She gets really mad if i initiate conversation about various solutions to the problem so i now keep my mouth shut..
She's tried just about everything on the market all to no avail,and seen dermatologists,it really bothers me that it really bothers her but i cant see anything i can do about it.
Does this acne ever go away?
I really feel for your daughter. I'm in my late 20's. I've alternated periods of out of control mild acne with clearish skin. The out of control periods are the worst. It's easy to be defensive and ashamed, especially if it seems nothing is working. It's nice that you're looking out for her. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was younger.

Prosacea and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide will quickly get the inflammation and redness under control. The chemical peel I recommended makes the skin look a bit worse for a few days sometimes, but it's soooo worth it! Just make sure she uses sunscreen because it makes the skin sensitive. Also, I "prep" the skin with alcohol, then "neutralize" before washing the peel off with a water/baking soda mixture to deactivate the peel. I then follow with my favorite moisturizer, Aveeno unscented baby lotion.

You're a good mom. If you've got the money, buy her the products I suggested. They're soo worth the money. She'll thank you later. When I have children I plan on helping them with the acne I'm sure they'll inherit from me and will be too embarrassed and frustrated to ask about.

It's taken me 15 years and countless product trials to find something that works well. I used to think nothing would ever work. And it's not that I "grew out" of my acne. My acne has been essentially unchanged since I was 13. If I stopped my routine I'd return to a face full of acne.

I'm going to clarify and say that I've never had cystic acne. So if that's what your daughter has, I can't be sure these products would work, but I believe they would.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
 
22 posts, read 111,661 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So at age 65, you have no wrinkles at all? That's the math you're implying - you had acne until you were 30, and starting from that point, for the next 35 years, you had no acne at all because you were stripping all the oil from your skin 4-5-6 times per day.

Sorry, I don't believe you. Acne isn't caused by having too much oil. It's caused by having infected oil glands. Stripping the oil with rubbing alcohol causes the glands to produce MORE oil, to compensate for the loss. If the glands are infected, it will produce more infected oil. Until you reach an age where your glands aren't producing the oil that it used to. And then, you will strip oil, your body won't be able to compensate for the loss, and will shrivel and produce wrinkles instead.

Rubbing alcohol won't cause much damage to the skin if used on an individual, occasional zit. Used as an acne treatment, is not recommended. Alcohol kills bacteria. Alcohol doesn't discriminate between the bacteria your body needs to fight off infection, and the bacteria that causes infection. It will kill both. And make acne, which is - an infection - worse.

Acne usually goes away by itself, but some stubborn cases require antibiotics, or medically prescribed topical ointments. In certain female patients, low-dose birth control pills can control acne. For people with milder acne, over the counter acne treatments are beneficial. And - for the occasional, individual zit, a dab of alcohol will dry it up without compromising the rest of the skin.

Important for acne sufferers is to not try to "do" too much to the acne, to prevent scarring. Meaning, no picking, no scratching, no touching, just keep your fingers off it. Don't cake on the makeup - that just makes it worse. Check yourself for food alergies, and environmental allergies such as synthetic perfumes, especially in laundry detergents and fabric softeners. Change your pillowcase EVERY DAY.

Keep your face clean, but don't scrub it, and don't obsess about it. Wash at night, rinse in the morning. Keep a light moisturizer on during the day. If you are able, get some sun exposure daily.

If you believe acne simply goes away by itself (and it may for you), I don't think you have the right incite to help this poster. She's concerned about acne that doesn't go away on its own.

BTW, if you remove oil from the pores, then there's no medium for the bacteria and dead skin cells to stew in a create an infection. It's sorta like how bacteria breeds in stagnant water. If the water isn't there, the bacteria don't have a confined area to rapidly reproduce in.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top