U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,813,330 times

Advertisements

I have had GERD for years. I've been scoped and have no ulcers or anything. Doc has me on 80mg a day of omeperazole, which is not recommended long term, but no other tests have been done. Here is the big issue, here is the big problem... I have a lot of night time reflux (no I do not eat before bed) and am aspirating quite a bit of acid. I sleep on my left side and so most of it goes to the left lung. I recently started exercising to try to lose weight (hoping to help the GERD) but when I start breathing heavily I have sharp pains on the left side of my lung. All the doc is doing is ordering heart related tests even though I had a chest xray and MRI of the lung which were all fine. Is the doc doing the right thing? I am almost positive it is damage occurring from the acid and think I need to see not only a Pulmonologist, but a Gastroenterologist too! Don't know what to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
There are many effective meds out there. Ask for new, more, different, stronger. You can find something that will work for you. Losing weight is another step in the right direction.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,614 times
I had heartburn at night and pain in left chest under ribs. Then started getting dizzy. Went to doc and it turned out to be kidney infection!!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,617,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I have had GERD for years. I've been scoped and have no ulcers or anything. Doc has me on 80mg a day of omeperazole, which is not recommended long term, but no other tests have been done. Here is the big issue, here is the big problem... I have a lot of night time reflux (no I do not eat before bed) and am aspirating quite a bit of acid. I sleep on my left side and so most of it goes to the left lung. I recently started exercising to try to lose weight (hoping to help the GERD) but when I start breathing heavily I have sharp pains on the left side of my lung. All the doc is doing is ordering heart related tests even though I had a chest xray and MRI of the lung which were all fine. Is the doc doing the right thing? I am almost positive it is damage occurring from the acid and think I need to see not only a Pulmonologist, but a Gastroenterologist too! Don't know what to do....
They have to rule out any cardiac involvement, so yeah it's the right thing to do.

Anyway, I feel your pain. Literally. I take Prilosec every day and it works for me. Zantac and Tagamet and Pepcid never did work.

When I had it bad, I had to put two phone books under the feet of the head of my bed to sleep on an incline.

Not eating crappy food and learning how to cook myself also made a huge difference.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM

380 posts, read 1,045,455 times
I had GERD, I had a camera put down my throat and everything because I had never been sick before. I didnt want to take Nexium anymore so I researched... and only 1 product totally wiped it out, Its called Digestacure. read it before you buy it... a year ago they were like $70 a bottle. but totally worth it. no more Doctor's no more Pain in the chest and burping is what I did too. Please read about it and God Bless You.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM

29,720 posts, read 47,472,880 times
In some cases a diet high in meat can cause your alimentary system to be more acidic, more focused on digesting meat. Which means it is also trying to digest itself.

A shift toward a more vegetarian diet may help. I am not suggesting that you become vegetarian, but honestly a portion of poultry or fish 2 or 3 times a week is more than enough animal protein anyway, even for body builders and athletes. Our modern culture pushes us to eat red meat in every meal, but that comes from marketing, and not a health standpoint.

Our modern diet has brought along with it many modern diseases like 'non-over-eating-obesity', diabetes, ulcers and heart disease.

A diet that is: High carb, high in processed gluten, refined sugar, lo-fiber, and focused on animal protein; simply is not good for us.

In general terms [obviously all general statements will include over-simplifications] a better diet is one that has low carbs, has little or no processed gluten, no refined sugar, is high in fiber, and only on occasion includes animal protein.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
My cause was a loose "connection" between my stomach and my esophagus. It was tightened up during another surgery and now I have far fewer problems although I still need to take Prilosec.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
I have suffered from very mild GERD symptoms over the past year and the only thing that helps me is to stop eating at least 2 hours before bedtime; I find sleeping on my right side is better for me; and I also take a calcium carbonate/magnesium blend supplement before bed every night. Calcium carbonate is not the best form of calcium to take, but it is what is found in Tums so for this purpose, I find it the best bet.

I think you're wise in visiting your doc and also trying to lose weight.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
Quote:
I sleep on my left side and so most of it goes to the left lung.
You may need to either prop the head of your bed up on risers or learn to sleep on your back propped up on a pile of pillows.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,617,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In some cases a diet high in meat can cause your alimentary system to be more acidic, more focused on digesting meat. Which means it is also trying to digest itself.

A shift toward a more vegetarian diet may help. I am not suggesting that you become vegetarian, but honestly a portion of poultry or fish 2 or 3 times a week is more than enough animal protein anyway, even for body builders and athletes. Our modern culture pushes us to eat red meat in every meal, but that comes from marketing, and not a health standpoint.

Our modern diet has brought along with it many modern diseases like 'non-over-eating-obesity', diabetes, ulcers and heart disease.

A diet that is: High carb, high in processed gluten, refined sugar, lo-fiber, and focused on animal protein; simply is not good for us.

In general terms [obviously all general statements will include over-simplifications] a better diet is one that has low carbs, has little or no processed gluten, no refined sugar, is high in fiber, and only on occasion includes animal protein.
All so true. I have a steak on occasion but since I started eating more fish and chicken and less meat in general I've been much better.

Processed food is crap. Restaurant food is laden with salt and fat.

Learn to cook, people! It's really not that hard, it's cheaper and much healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness