U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:33 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,779,652 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am being a big baby. I am hardly ever sick, so the sore throat is driving me nuts. I can't sleep. I have tried the Cloraseptic spray, it's just nasty.

What is the cure?

Help? koff koff koff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
It's an old tried and true method.
Gargle with warm salt water.
It works.
Zinc lozenges are also helpful.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,760,113 times
Nine times out of ten my sore throat is caused by post-nasal drip b/c of allergies. When I stop the drip, the sore throat goes away. My allergy meds work for this. I think you need to find the underlying cause of the sore throat. When I had a really sore throat that lasted more than a day or two it ended up being strep. Hopefully, that's not what you have.

I truly haven't found anything to actually relieve the sore throat pain. I suppose cold drinks/popsicles help, but only as long as they're actually touching my throat. I did see some herbal teas for sore throat, but haven't tried them.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:34 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I like to drink Club Soda when I have a sore throat. It burns at first a little, then it numbs my throat. You can drink as much as you want with only burps as the results. OJ also burns then numbs but I think the soda does a better job of it.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM

13,118 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I like to drink Club Soda when I have a sore throat. It burns at first a little, then it numbs my throat. You can drink as much as you want with only burps as the results. OJ also burns then numbs but I think the soda does a better job of it.
I always gargled with Coke and Pepsi. I think that helps.

Sometimes wearing a painters mask also helps - you breathe in warm, moist air. That helps clear up your sinuses and stops some of the post nasal drip - which in turn; helps your sore throat.

A good long hot shower also gives temporary relief - sometimes enough relief to finally get some sleep. It will free up you sinuses.

I think a lot depends on what actually caused your sore throat. Some are not as easy to cure as others. Strep throat might require a trip to the doctors and a good dose of antibiotics - you donít want to play around with strep.

PS For anybody that ever gets a kidney stone. Hot showers running on my back were the only relief I had from pain while passing kidney stones. I had all the pain killers - but hot showers seemed to work best. Of course sooner or later your furnace runs out of fuel or you turn into a prune!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 PM

85 posts, read 158,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's an old tried and true method.
Gargle with warm salt water.
It works.
It offers temporary relief, but it doesn't fix the problem. The smell of salty water is also enough to make you vomit.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
It offers temporary relief, but it doesn't fix the problem. The smell of salty water is also enough to make you vomit.
That's actually not true ... at least not in my experienced.
For me, it's been a cure.
Salt water flushes out post-nasal drip and other bacterial material and a salty environment prevents bacteria from growing.
And it doesn't make me want to vomit.
Another good very old and tried and true solution for general health of the nose (excellent preventative and remedy for sinus infections) and throat is flushing the nose with salt water by using a nedi pot.
It may seem gross at first but once you get used to doing it, it's easy.

Sore throat -- what REALLY works to get rid of it?-images.jpg

Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
I'm extremely sensitive to sore throats, it's my most hated part of a cold - I'll take 10 runny noses for one sore throat. Honestly, when it's really sore and not just scratchy, like enough to keep me up at night, I find no gargles/lozenges really help; in these cases I just tend to take a tylenol, it tends to be much more effective for me. Gargling with salt water IS really good though to soothe, kill bacteria, and generally make the sore throat go away faster. I find if I start gargling really often as soon as I even get the tiniest tickle, it often won't even develop into a sore throat or if it does it's much milder. Same for nasal saline rinse and congestion.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:23 PM

17,281 posts, read 3,518,148 times
Warm salt-water gargle is the medically-recommended way of reducing sore throat pain. As stated, the cause is what needs to be determined...allergies/post-nasal drip are big offenders. If you have severe throat pain with fever, possible strep so see your MD asap.

Chloroseptic spray is hard to tolerate but I have used Chloroseptic Lozenges with good relief. With OTC pain reliever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm extremely sensitive to sore throats, it's my most hated part of a cold - I'll take 10 runny noses for one sore throat. Honestly, when it's really sore and not just scratchy, like enough to keep me up at night, I find no gargles/lozenges really help; in these cases I just tend to take a tylenol, it tends to be much more effective for me. Gargling with salt water IS really good though to soothe, kill bacteria, and generally make the sore throat go away faster. I find if I start gargling really often as soon as I even get the tiniest tickle, it often won't even develop into a sore throat or if it does it's much milder. Same for nasal saline rinse and congestion.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,509,764 times
The salt water never worked for me (perhaps for a few minutes, but it would always return shortly). I don't mind the chloroseptic, but the most that would last is an hour or so. The only thing that worked for me quite well was some ibuprofen (if you can take it, people with kidney problems should not). One or two of those, and I will not feel the sore throat for a good four or five hours. Of course, if it lasts for more than a few days (and the dose has increased to 600 mg--three tablets), then I would have to resort to lozenges and just dealing with it. But at least it helps at first. And if it is a chronic sore throat, as someone mentioned, the only way to deal with that is dealing with the source of it (most likely post-nasal drip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness