Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,350,947 times

Advertisements

When I had my first eye done, surgery was early in the morning and my husband and I rode our bikes in the evening. Only difference was that I could see. Easy as pie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,095,392 times
I am researching cataract surgery currently and there have been some amazing advancements in the type of lense that is inserted. Although most insurance will not pay for the lense itself, the new multi-focus lenses can eliminate the need for reading glasses. However, the importance of an experienced surgeon must be emphasized! There are various theories for selecting the proper lense with some doctors actually using different types of multifocals for each eye to insure success. Thankfully, we no longer have only the options of 'seeing near' or 'seeing far' which requires glasses after surgery, regardless. It appears that each multifocal lense is about $2,000.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,065,420 times
Modern Cataract surgery is nothing like the old days when you didn't get it until you were almost blind and the results weren't always better, the result required coke bottle glasses to see too.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,461,844 times
I had mine done about a month apart, did not have the lenses put in, had no problems and wear only reading glasses now. it was so easy, we went out for breakfast as soon as I was released. this has been about 6 years ago, I do think I need reg glasses now.

Nita

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,665,283 times
I had it done and was really afraid however the worst for me was the medicine to calm me down,
The operation was over in about 10 to 12 minutes. When I had the other eye done I knew what would
happen and asked for not too much of the medicine. Also after the operation my eye did itch and of
course I was not allowed to scratch it so did take an allergy pill which did work.
also I was told to put the eye drops into the fridge to have them cool that also did help.
I am so glad I did it and got it all over with and just need reading and computer glasses now.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,665,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I just had this done 3 weeks ago...it was a piece of cake, really it was. I too, have worn glasses since I was seven...didn't know what I looked like w/o them til I was 32. My correction was -1200 in one eye and -1100 in the other plus I have severe astigmatism...So I had my doubts, worries and concerns too. The docs know they are messing with something precious so they will use the utmost care in your case. Tell them of your fears and tell your nurses too. This is how it was for me..First they put some drops in my eye and they make the eye numb...my eye was numb, my ear was numb, my scalp was numb on that side of my face and my face was numb down to the jawline.. I am dental phobic..I know numb. Then they put in an IV and about 15-20 minutes before the doc comes on board they gave me some seditive..if it isn't enough they give you some more..they did for me because I had an anxiety attack about 19 minutes before the procedure. The doctor could have done an eyeball transplant for all I cared. The surgery took less then 10 minutes...it took longer to get ready then the actual surgery. I will still have to wear glasses because of my astigmastism but there is actually a lense they can use that will correct that too..Anyway..Think good thoughts, try to relax, and I'm sure you'll do fine.
That made me laugh since I do recall a frozen face and the IV I did not like at all. The nurse was super nice
better than the so called calming medicine. I got my astigmatism done also with the toric lens and
my distance vision no glasses to drive and just any sunglasses I want now. the second eye I didn't
have the frozen face but a bood shot eye which did go away.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM

6,955 posts, read 12,026,907 times
Default How Did You know the cataracts were "ripe"?

A year ago I was told I have cataracts but they were not "ready" to be done yet cause Medicare would not pay for them until they were "ripe". So, I am wondering how did you know when your cataracts were good to go? Was it during a regular eyeglass exam from an optometrist? I have 3 pairs of glasses which I would love to dump. One is for the computer, one is for reading and the other is a very expensive progressive that I need to see far and medium distances.
I hate all of them and never can find the right ones in the house. Should I book an appt. with an opthalmologist or just go back to the eyeglass doc? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,712,780 times
Since the optometrist cannot do the surgery, go to the ophthalmologist. Mine took about 6 yrs to get "ripe" from when I was first told I was beginning to develop them. I suppose everyone has a different timeline.
."

Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM

826 posts, read 1,929,454 times
PhxBarb - all insurances have a minimum vision threshold that has to be met before cataract surgery will be paid for. Your vision has to be 20/50 or worse, either in your glasses or with glare testing (shining bright lights or decreasing the contrast you get). Once that threshold has been met and you feel that your vision is compromised by this (i.e. it's affecting your quality of life or quality of vision), then cataract surgery can be done and paid for by insurance (Medicare typically pays about 80% I believe...and will contribute some money towards lenses and frames afterwards, which is the only time they ever pay towards glasses).

Everyone gets cataracts if they live long enough since it is just the natural lens inside the eye getting denser and harder as we grow older. Signs of cataracts are usually seen in the late 50's-60's but usually do not become a problem for several more years. Some doctors don't say anything if it doesn't seem to be bothering a patient, others will mention that they are watching them.

SouthenBelle is correct that the optometrist cannot do surgery, you'll need an ophthalmologist anyway. Some optometrists have standing relationships with ophthalmologists and will refer when they think you are ready but if you feel that your vision is foggy or blurry or dull, then you can make an appointment with an ophthalmologist to be tested to see what your best corrected vision is and how much, if any, your vision drops with glare testing. What no doctor can tell you, is how long it will be before the cataracts are "ripe" enough to come out - some progress slowly, some quickly.

Also, you will still need some glasses after surgery, at the very least to see up close for reading. Medicare pays for the artificial lens to be implanted but it is a single distance lens, usually corrects for far away objects. You might be able to see computer distance as well but will still need reading glasses. There are artificial lenses that correct for all distances (multi-focal lenses) like your progressives but Medicare does not pay for them and they cost $2-3000 each on top of the regular surgical fee.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 PM

6,955 posts, read 12,026,907 times
mskb: Thank you so much for this very helpful explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness