U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 11:54 AM

167 posts, read 394,437 times

Advertisements

Background story: Twelve years ago I was in the hospital giving birth to my son. I opted to have the intrathecal which they told me was a one time shot. I was poked in the lower back approximately 15 times because whatever they were doing back there wasn't working. I stopped counting after ten so I can't be sure but my husband was standing with me and that's his guess.

I've never had back problems in my life. I was very sore after the labor and just attributed the back pain to back labor. After some time when I realized the pain wasn't going away I thought something must be wrong. I was having shooting pains when I walked and bent over. I did PT where they did TENS ( electrical nerve stimulation ) which did nothing but make my back feel worse. I ended up in tears after one session and the older old school Dr told me I must be lying about my back problems. He swore it was a muscle problem and that my muscles just needed to become stronger. (I was active duty Marine Corps during all of this with perfect health before and during my pregnancy, it most certainly was not weak muscles)

My back still gives me problems but I know my limits. My children are not toddlers anymore so I am not constantly picking them up or bending over I just wish I knew what was wrong. I don't lift anything because if I do then I pay for it later. I spent 20 mins on my hands and knees helping my mother weed her garden and I struggled to stand upright again.

I *know* I should go back to the Dr but I just don't trust anyone. I've seen three separate Dr's since and they always want me to start the process all over again. Going to PT to see if that helps for three months then reevaluate. Nothing shows up on my X-Ray's and I've had an MRI that showed nothing as well. To add something I forgot, I've had steroid shots in my back of some sort that did nothing for me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness