U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
I have the best bed!!!! I bought a queen size softsided waterbed mattress on Craigslist several years ago. (which I wouldn't do today BTW b/c bedbugs ya know...) This is a waterbed that does not require a full-on waterbed frame. I took out the waterbed tubes and replaced them with an air mattress...I can inflate or deflate to my pleasure..I sleep with the angels every night!!!!
You could do the same with a King size and replace the tubes (or bladder) with 2 twin size air mattresses each inflated to the desired firmness. There would be no joining place because it is all in the same mattress. To make the bed look even you could still use the topper as suggested previously.
Soft side waterbeds can be found with a google search...and are reletively inexpensive considering the price of the now popular models.
Never heard of a "soft-sided" waterbed. I would LOVE to "sleep with the angels" every night, lol (what a lovely turn of a phrase!).

I will look into it, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:37 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,792,997 times
I have always preferred a hard mattress. it got to the point that my husband was waking with aching hips because it was too firm for him. We added a memory foam topper, and a feather bed over that. The bed is comfortable for both of us. But, since it didn't cure his snoring, I usually end up in the guest room anyway. That bed also has a firm mattress, with a 3" Temperpedic topper. I hate the topper. It's hot! Right now the windows are wide open in the guest room, with the heat on elsewhere.

It's crazy what we'll do for a good night's sleep.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have always preferred a hard mattress. it got to the point that my husband was waking with aching hips because it was too firm for him. We added a memory foam topper, and a feather bed over that. The bed is comfortable for both of us. But, since it didn't cure his snoring, I usually end up in the guest room anyway. That bed also has a firm mattress, with a 3" Temperpedic topper. I hate the topper. It's hot! Right now the windows are wide open in the guest room, with the heat on elsewhere.

It's crazy what we'll do for a good night's sleep.
See, I've heard that - that the temperpedic's can be "hot" My husband would hate that. But maybe with some kind of thicker cover over it you wouldn't feel so hot?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:56 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
About 7 years ago we went to replace our mattress, I didn't like the sinking feeling of the Temperpedic but didn't want anything with springs, my husband flops around and spring mattresses drive me nuts. We bought a Otis Futon Mattress, it's more like a regular mattress without the springs made out of layered high density foam. We have the Haley 110, not too firm, not too soft, I'll buy another one in a couple years, really happy with it. Otis Bed Manufacturing - Futons

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
About 7 years ago we went to replace our mattress, I didn't like the sinking feeling of the Temperpedic but didn't want anything with springs, my husband flops around and spring mattresses drive me nuts. We bought a Otis Futon Mattress, it's more like a regular mattress without the springs made out of layered high density foam. We have the Haley 110, not too firm, not too soft, I'll buy another one in a couple years, really happy with it. Otis Bed Manufacturing - Futons
Thank you so much! This looks interesting

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
I think part of the problem, is that you're sleeping on an 8-year-old mattress. A new one will likely solve the problem.

Ours is a Posturepedic. It's not a pillow-top, but it is deep-quilted in such a way that it supports various parts of the body in different ways. The area near the neck has firmer quilting than the area near the upper back, and the area around the legs is a different quilt pattern from the area near the feet. It actually does help. We don't use the box-spring that it came with, and it isn't necessary because the mattress itself has inner springs anyway. You can't flip it over.

If your current mattress -can- be flipped, I highly recommend you do so. Just like rotating tires, you should rotate the mattress. Flip it completely - the foot end should be at the head of the bed, but turned upside down so it's the bottom that's now on the top.

You'll want to turn the box spring as well, but not flip that. Just make the foot end turned to the head end.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think part of the problem, is that you're sleeping on an 8-year-old mattress. A new one will likely solve the problem.

Ours is a Posturepedic. It's not a pillow-top, but it is deep-quilted in such a way that it supports various parts of the body in different ways. The area near the neck has firmer quilting than the area near the upper back, and the area around the legs is a different quilt pattern from the area near the feet. It actually does help. We don't use the box-spring that it came with, and it isn't necessary because the mattress itself has inner springs anyway. You can't flip it over.

If your current mattress -can- be flipped, I highly recommend you do so. Just like rotating tires, you should rotate the mattress. Flip it completely - the foot end should be at the head of the bed, but turned upside down so it's the bottom that's now on the top.

You'll want to turn the box spring as well, but not flip that. Just make the foot end turned to the head end.
Thanks for chiming in

We have rotated and flipped the mattress regularly.

It has always been too hard for me, but in recent months it has become unbearable what with all the pain I am experiencing. Of course, my husband still likes it

I do think the fact it is 8 years old could be part of the problem. But it came with a 20 year "gaurantee" so hubs thinks it's still "young". Plus, it was so expensive he just can't believe we won't get more use out of it before replacing it.

However, he is open to doing that, if I can come up with something we can both be comfortable on

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM

416 posts, read 536,333 times
Around ten years ago I started having similar problems, waking up feeling physically abused, sitting and standing cured the aches, but laying for around four hours would bring them back. Thought it was the bed, so got a new one, that didn't solve the problem. Adding cushions(Memory foam and regular foam) reduced the pain and prolonged how long I could sleep, but the problems never went away until this year. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, since getting my C-Pap, I have no problems sleeping.

@ Mattie
You may want to have your husband do an overnight sleep study.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,703,728 times
We bought a firm mattress and couldn't sleep on it, it was like laying on the floor.
We exchanged it for a medium firm and it's fine.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
Around ten years ago I started having similar problems, waking up feeling physically abused, sitting and standing cured the aches, but laying for around four hours would bring them back. Thought it was the bed, so got a new one, that didn't solve the problem. Adding cushions(Memory foam and regular foam) reduced the pain and prolonged how long I could sleep, but the problems never went away until this year. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, since getting my C-Pap, I have no problems sleeping.

@ Mattie
You may want to have your husband do an overnight sleep study.
Wow! Hope that's not my problem!! Thanks for the tip though, I will definitely keep this in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness