U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,069,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
We got one of the Temperpedic mattresses that is considered "firm". Some have a "pillow top" component and we found them too soft for our tastes.

We'd always had a conventional mattress and were hesitant to try a memory foam. We too had heard that you sank into the mattress and that they slept "hot". We've found neither to be true.

Only downside, I know of, is price.
Thanks!

Right now I'd pay a million dollars just to get a good solid night's sleep with no pain (well, not really, but you know what I mean!)

We have decided to look into the different options that Temperpedic might offer - I didn't realize there were different styles until you said so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I started waking up aching and told hubby it was time for a new mattress. The one we had was about 8 years old. Yes, they will last longer, but it seems like that's the magic age when they start to become uncomfortable. What we did was buy a medium firm mattress without a pillow top and bought a memory foam topper. It's great. You get the firmness but without feeling like you are sleeping on a brick. We actually have two toppers - a lighter convoluted one for summer and a thicker solid one for winter because they do retain heat.

You spend a lot of time in bed so why shouldn't you invest in a quality mattress? $1000 for something that lasts 8 years is not a bad deal!
I so agree! Since we spend at least a third of our lives in bed, we should make sure we are comfortable!

That's interesting that you started having trouble at the 8 year mark just like me

I'm beginning to think AnonChick was right in her post about 8 years being about the most life you get out of a mattress.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,320,497 times
Some day I will buy a new bed...I have never had a new bed...oh yah I saw some mattress that rich folks have..they get a new on every couple of years....yep - some day I will get a brand new super comfortable bed...in the mean time I will make to with that slab of memory foam that I found tucked away...wonder what it's like to have a new bed...must be nice.....actually...I would like a new wife...I can live with an old bed.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Well now, wouldn't he be earning himself another piece of that fine cornbread y'all been cookin' up lately.

Now look. Ya done tried this, ya done tried that. Ya tried sleeping on this ant ya tried sleeping on that. Now it's time to accept reality.

It's called the aging process! Hey, it happens. Don't be runnin' away from it. Embrace it. Accept it. Deal with it.

I mean, have you considered the alternative??

You always make me smile!

I refuse to accept defeat! I am STILL very young at 52, old age is DECADES away

Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some day I will buy a new bed...I have never had a new bed...oh yah I saw some mattress that rich folks have..they get a new on every couple of years....yep - some day I will get a brand new super comfortable bed...in the mean time I will make to with that slab of memory foam that I found tucked away...wonder what it's like to have a new bed...must be nice.....actually...I would like a new wife...I can live with an old bed.

For me, it's a quality of life issue

At this point I'd rather spend the money on something really good to sleep on so I could feel better every day, than spend the money on a vacation or other luxury item.

Hope you keep sleeping well my friend, even without a new wife

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

530 posts, read 567,820 times
Decades you say??

Ok look. You've tried this, you've tried that. Have you considered the other thing?

Have you tried sleeping under the bed??

Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Decades you say??

Ok look. You've tried this, you've tried that. Have you considered the other thing?

Have you tried sleeping under the bed??
No, but the cat likes it when I sleep on the sofa with her

Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM

8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Forgive me for not reading all the replies, but it would seem to me that you're in need of a new mattress. They only last for just so long. Look into a King's Down set...really nice mattress and you buy the one that fits your body and your needs. Best bed I ever owned.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Forgive me for not reading all the replies, but it would seem to me that you're in need of a new mattress. They only last for just so long. Look into a King's Down set...really nice mattress and you buy the one that fits your body and your needs. Best bed I ever owned.
Kim, who makes it? Or is "King" the company name?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:34 AM

8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Kim, who makes it? Or is "King" the company name?

Kings Down is the brand name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness