U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 AM

9,859 posts, read 5,777,142 times

Advertisements

That's odd that you had so many problems with your Sleep Number bed .

Did you adjust all the way up and then down to your level every week or every other week?

We've probably had ours now for well over 5 years. It's the only bed that DH has been able to sleep on his back, when he does and not have problems getting up the next day. I like how I can adjust up or down from one day to the next, if I feel the need for more/less support. I surely couldn't do that with any other mattress we've ever had in the past.

We've had a water bed in the past too but DH still had problems many days trying to straighten up all the way. I didn't have those problems but I never had an injury to my back like he did while in the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
That's odd that you had so many problems with your Sleep Number bed .

Did you adjust all the way up and then down to your level every week or every other week?

We've probably had ours now for well over 5 years. It's the only bed that DH has been able to sleep on his back, when he does and not have problems getting up the next day. I like how I can adjust up or down from one day to the next, if I feel the need for more/less support. I surely couldn't do that with any other mattress we've ever had in the past.

We've had a water bed in the past too but DH still had problems many days trying to straighten up all the way. I didn't have those problems but I never had an injury to my back like he did while in the service.
We only kept it for the 30 day trial period. But in that small time frame they had to send us replacement parts twice.

I was also rather shocked to see how cheap it all looked for how much money we paid for it. I felt a bit like the Emperor with his new clothes.

When you spend thousands of dollars on something you don't expect so much plastic and plastic parts - at least I didn't, lol.

We played with the numbers constantly trying to find "the one", but just never did.

But the worst part was how rigid the bed was where the two twin pieces met in the middle (this was a king). It was so hard and rigid we could not spoon or otherwise meet in the middle when we wanted to.

I know people love them, and I'm so glad you do!, but it just wasn't for me.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Morning Loves. I always sleep better at my sweeties house. Much nicer bed. I wake up hurting no matter where I am or what the bed, but I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Maybe your joints are just bothering you, maybe some osteo arthritis kicking in or something?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Morning Loves. I always sleep better at my sweeties house. Much nicer bed. I wake up hurting no matter where I am or what the bed, but I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Maybe your joints are just bothering you, maybe some osteo arthritis kicking in or something?

Gosh I sure hope not And since I don't hurt other times of the day I'm thinking it's the bed, though I am still intrigued by the poster who said their pain got better once they were diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Sorry to hear you have RA - that is rough Does a soft bed help, or make it worse?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM

530 posts, read 567,629 times
Ok, what have we learned so far? We have learned that this whole thing was a contest(DING DING DING DING-we have a winner), and if I only knew that right off, I would have tried harder.

We have also learned that your husband gently pummels you while you sleep, so much so that you awake with puffy eyes and body pain to the point that you are wondering.....fibromyalgia??

We have learned that at 52 you are no spring chicken however you do believe you still have "decades" to live even though tomorrow is promised to no one.

And, we have also learned that you do like mountains and that you like to bake corn bread.

Oh yeah. You need a bed. So go buy one already. And...you may want to consider the "relationships" forum, by the way.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Ok, what have we learned so far? We have learned that this whole thing was a contest(DING DING DING DING-we have a winner), and if I only knew that right off, I would have tried harder.

We have also learned that your husband gently pummels you while you sleep, so much so that you awake with puffy eyes and body pain to the point that you are wondering.....fibromyalgia??

We have learned that at 52 you are no spring chicken however you do believe you still have "decades" to live even though tomorrow is promised to no one.

And, we have also learned that you do like mountains and that you like to bake corn bread.

Oh yeah. You need a bed. So go buy one already. And...you may want to consider the "relationships" forum, by the way.
Cornbread? Gotta love it when it's hot with melted butter and honey drizzled over it - yum

I am going to try the egg crate foam a few nights to see how that helps, then yes, I will go shopping for a new mattress

Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Gosh I sure hope not And since I don't hurt other times of the day I'm thinking it's the bed, though I am still intrigued by the poster who said their pain got better once they were diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Sorry to hear you have RA - that is rough Does a soft bed help, or make it worse?
A little bit softer bed feels much better to me. I wake wake up stiff and in pain no matter what I do, but softer is better, and thank you...

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,262,257 times
Buy an egggshell foam mattress, to put on top of your side only.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 PM

20,792 posts, read 41,440,451 times
Best bed I ever slept on was a Beautyrest at a friend's house. Support without being hard. Never felt a spring. If I ever replace my bed, I would try a Beautyrest. They are constructed differently.

I've been sleeping on featherbeds for almost 20 years. Had a lot of hip pain and lower back pain which went away. Tossing and turning stopped, too. I'm now 69. Nary a pain. OP's situation does not sound healthy. I couldn't tolerate it.

Right now sleeping on a Posturepedic over which is a Northern Nights featherbed (baffle box, uncrushable, 5" gusset) from QVC. I'm a big QVC shopper. Have had four or five of their featherbeds over the past 20 years. Love them. Pacific Coast Feather is their supplier. I'm very skeptical of down/feather products. Always very happy with PC down comforters and featherbeds.

Sounds like a memoryfoam topper might work. However, two inches will probably not be enough. Which is why I like a 5" gusset featherbed. I've even put featherbed on top of featherbed once when I bought a fairly thin one from Home Shopping to go with a 2" gusset I bought before QVC had the bigger ones. That worked, too.

Would never have a mattress without a featherbed.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,520,746 times
I am a Tempurpedic convert. It is the best sleep I have ever gotten. I will never go back to a regular mattress. And the Tempurpedic pillows are divine. I am a side sleeper. I got the Cloud version. Some of the others were a lot softer which was too soft for me. I used to ache in the morning especially my back. I remember going about my morning after getting the Tempurpedic and had a bolt of lightening moment that there was no morning ache anymore. I think mine was around the $2k mark. Worth every penny.

I recently took a ten day trip and couldnt wait to get home and sleep in my bed. I felt every one of those ten nights on a regular mattress in my back aching.

Now I am wishing I had done the Tempurpedic adjustable like hospital bed frame with my mattress because it is so comfy everytime I go horizontal I am out like a light lol. I just went with the low profile Tempurpedic box base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness