U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,162,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, if anyone has an idea's I'm wide open.

Here is the situation...

We sleep on an 8 year old Serta mattress. It has always been a bit too hard for my tastes, but my husband can't sleep too soft, so pillow tops and other softer mattresses were out when we bought this one. Basically, it was a compromise for both of us.

We tried a Sleep Number bed, but it had too many issues. For one thing, we had to get several replacement pieces. Worse for us was that it was just so rigid in the middle where they meet that there was no way for us to comfortably spoon as we sleep - something neither of us wants to give up. So we returned it.

We tried a Temperpedic knock off, but my husband couldn't stand the way he sank into the thing - so IT went back too.

Now we are on this Serta and I was willing to continue to just sleep on a harder surface, UNTIL I started feeling so beat up every morning I just can't stand it!

Honestly, every major joint hurts in my body after just a few hours on the bed. I am constantly rolling over to take the pressure off of certain places, until the pain builds up again and I have to move one more time. If it's not my shoulders, it's my ankles - or my knees, then my hips. If getting out of bed didn't help I'd swear I have a terrible case of arthritis or fibromyalgia!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

I can't stand the idea of separate beds - so does anyone have a bed they can recommend for a situation like mine?
And bought a real tempur-pedic. There is a huge difference. My mom had a knock off and was very disappointed, she later bought one like ours after visiting and taking a nap on it.

We got the least deep one. There are some that have extra padding on top and you do sink in. Ours works great on our Scan Design bed. We have no box springs. It is wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about it.

We recently spent a week in a hotel with what was supposed to be an excellent mattress, we were so happy to get back home to our bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:42 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
And bought a real tempur-pedic. There is a huge difference. My mom had a knock off and was very disappointed, she later bought one like ours after visiting and taking a nap on it.

We got the least deep one. There are some that have extra padding on top and you do sink in. Ours works great on our Scan Design bed. We have no box springs. It is wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about it.

We recently spent a week in a hotel with what was supposed to be an excellent mattress, we were so happy to get back home to our bed.
SO glad we bit the bullet and bought the real thing too

A couple of years ago when I first started noticing the bed was bothering me we tried a knock off temperpedic.

We HATED it and therefore figured the real deal would be pretty similar - BIG MISTAKE.

Now that we have the real Temperpedic and are feeling SO GOOD I am kicking myself for not trying one sooner.

Yes, the price is steep and I won't be able to take a vacation for at least 2 years because of it.

But the truth is, you really do spend one third of your life in your bed and if you aren't enjoying THAT, then no vacation will ever make up for it

Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 PM

699 posts, read 1,796,153 times
Quote:
And bought a real tempur-pedic. There is a huge difference.
so how much did the mattress cost for your platform bed?
king or queen?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,162,277 times
Default ours is a queen

It was a little over $2,000.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
We paid more because we needed the box springs

But still, I can't complain - a good nights sleep is such an amazing thing!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
Quote:

That's actually a great price for a mattress.

My set was $4,000 not including the bed, that was another $2,000. Best money every spent and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I tell everyone about my Kings Down and once they take a nap on it, they usually end up buying one! That's what did it for us. lol

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
I like that she is concerned with the spooning, lol. That's sweet.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I like that she is concerned with the spooning, lol. That's sweet.
Being able to spoon is a top priority in my life

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Updating to report that my Temperpedic mattress has been a god-send in my life!

I had not slept through the night in years prior to buying this bed last fall. I tossed and turned a lot too.

Now I fall into this bed and get better, restful sleep than ever. This last year has been AWESOME. I can hardly wait to go to bed at night.

It really is so amazing how good you can feel overall when you are getting regular quality sleep!

I swear I never realized how much lack of sleep was affecting my life until my physical aches and pains forced the issue.

I was fully expecting my doctor to tell me I had fibromyalgia or sleep apnea - until all my symptoms drastically improved after sleeping on the Temperpedic.

I hope anyone struggling the way I was will strongly consider trying one of these mattresses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness