Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Okay, if anyone has an idea's I'm wide open.

Here is the situation...

We sleep on an 8 year old Serta mattress. It has always been a bit too hard for my tastes, but my husband can't sleep too soft, so pillow tops and other softer mattresses were out when we bought this one. Basically, it was a compromise for both of us.

We tried a Sleep Number bed, but it had too many issues. For one thing, we had to get several replacement pieces. Worse for us was that it was just so rigid in the middle where they meet that there was no way for us to comfortably spoon as we sleep - something neither of us wants to give up. So we returned it.

We tried a Temperpedic knock off, but my husband couldn't stand the way he sank into the thing - so IT went back too.

Now we are on this Serta and I was willing to continue to just sleep on a harder surface, UNTIL I started feeling so beat up every morning I just can't stand it!

Honestly, every major joint hurts in my body after just a few hours on the bed. I am constantly rolling over to take the pressure off of certain places, until the pain builds up again and I have to move one more time. If it's not my shoulders, it's my ankles - or my knees, then my hips. If getting out of bed didn't help I'd swear I have a terrible case of arthritis or fibromyalgia!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

I can't stand the idea of separate beds - so does anyone have a bed they can recommend for a situation like mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
If you have room for a king size bed, that's basically 2 twins put together with a foam bridge in the middle gap. That way, you each could select a different mattress.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you have room for a king size bed, that's basically 2 twins put together with a foam bridge in the middle gap. That way, you each could select a different mattress.
Thanks for your response

We do have a king and did try this approach, but the problem was in finding two mattresses of the same height.

The softer ones can be up 4 to 6 inches higher than the harder ones my hubby prefers, so it was like falling off one side to reach the other, lol. And there is no way to spoon with such an uneven middle of the bed

Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
How about a good quality, high density memory foam mattress topper for your side of the bed? You could put it under the regular mattress pad. Yes, you'd have some difference in height, but not as much as 2 separate mattresses. I know you mean about the morning aches and pains. Our old mattress made me look 103 when I got out of bed in the morning. We replaced it with a Temperpedic and that solved the issue. But, I was lucky since DH likes it as well.

Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
How about a good quality, high density memory foam mattress topper for your side of the bed? You could put it under the regular mattress pad. Yes, you'd have some difference in height, but not as much as 2 separate mattresses. I know you mean about the morning aches and pains. Our old mattress made me look 103 when I got out of bed in the morning. We replaced it with a Temperpedic and that solved the issue. But, I was lucky since DH likes it as well.

Good Luck!
Thanks! I like this idea and may run out to Walmart for and egg crate topper today! Even if it makes my side of the bed "taller", it wouldn't be rigid and could be squished down when we meet in the middle - I hope!

Tell me about your Temperpedic....as I said we tried a "knock off" so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting the real deal to try out? Do you feel like you sink into your mattress?

Right now I feel like this problem is aging me - I just look so tired every day with bags under my eyes. I estimate I wake up at least 5 times a night due to the pain in my joints

Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM

741 posts, read 1,678,757 times
Whatever happened to good, old waterbeds??? They used to be cheap and plentiful in stores!!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Whatever happened to good, old waterbeds??? They used to be cheap and plentiful in stores!!

Hahaha - I slept on one once and shivered all night long - the water wasn't heated and I really got the chills from it.

Plus, I think they fell out of favor since they don't offer much support for your spine.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM

530 posts, read 779,425 times
Oh, you can't stand the idea of seperate beds?? Hmmm......but what about your husband ? Could this "idea" turn into "reality" and actually become the "ideal solutiion??"

Oh I see. It's (seperate beds) good enough for Rob and Laura Petrie but not not suitable for you guys. And how long did their show last??

Hmmm....you wake up feeling "beat up" every morning. Are you sure that's just a feeling??

Listen. Getting older. It's not for wimps, ya know.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,790 times
I have the best bed!!!! I bought a queen size softsided waterbed mattress on Craigslist several years ago. (which I wouldn't do today BTW b/c bedbugs ya know...) This is a waterbed that does not require a full-on waterbed frame. I took out the waterbed tubes and replaced them with an air mattress...I can inflate or deflate to my pleasure..I sleep with the angels every night!!!!
You could do the same with a King size and replace the tubes (or bladder) with 2 twin size air mattresses each inflated to the desired firmness. There would be no joining place because it is all in the same mattress. To make the bed look even you could still use the topper as suggested previously.
Soft side waterbeds can be found with a google search...and are reletively inexpensive considering the price of the now popular models.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Oh, you can't stand the idea of seperate beds?? Hmmm......but what about your husband ? Could this "idea" turn into "reality" and actually become the "ideal solutiion??"

Oh I see. It's (seperate beds) good enough for Rob and Laura Petrie but not not suitable for you guys. And how long did their show last??

Hmmm....you wake up feeling "beat up" every morning. Are you sure that's just a feeling??

Listen. Getting older. It's not for wimps, ya know.

Well, leave it to the grandpa's around us to know

I actually slept on an aerobed on the floor last night just to get some relief and see if that would be any better, and he complained I was too far away just being at the foot of the bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness