U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Different groups have decided that they are offended by terminology, and they demand their politically-correct 'rights' to not be referred to by that terminology.

What really makes it difficult is when you are trying to treat a patient and there are certain words that you are told to use to describe that patient. Try being in the back of an ambulance working on a woman who weighs over 350 pounds, and not telling the doctor that the main reason she is breathing so heavily while strapped flat to a backboard is because her anatomy is such that her own masses of flesh are impeding her breathing... Then of course the doctor asks loudly over the radio "Is this patient obese?" And you have to say yes, then spend 10 minutes apologizing for what she should already know anyway... Or try explaining to a doctor over the radio about the "little person" who has all of the physical descriptions (and the physical deformities) of those who were born with congenital dwarfism. You'd better not even breathe the word "midget", not even if your radio transmissions are supposed to be as brief as possible.

You can't call someone with African heritage 'black', you can't even mention the word "Hispanic" in newspaper stories or police BOLOs read out loud, victim or criminal.

It's all pretty childish, if you ask me - to take offense at something that's obvious, or to comment on it unnecessarily. For him to call you a "twig" - if you can't take it as a compliment, just ignore it. And the same should go if you called him a "porker" - but I'll bet it wouldn't. Look at it this way - if he doesn't pay your bills or sleep in your bed, why should you care what he says or thinks?
Midget is considered inappropriate because of the sideshow connotations it carries. Dwarf is acceptable and even shorter over the radio.

It must be a regional thing that they don't say "Hispanic" where you live...it's used constantly here and it's not a negative word at all. The word here that makes people angry is "Mexican," unless it's referring to someone who came from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 AM

130 posts, read 267,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I've always been very thankful to be this way, and I never took offense when people called me anorexic/too thin in the past. In fact, I've always embraced it and considered myself lucky. It's just lately that I've been feeling a bit self-conscious because I lost a bit more weight, that's probably why I took some offense in his comment. But overall I'm happy with the way I look. I guess I'm just being a little too sensitive. But I still think calling someone a "twig" is disrespectful and equivalent to calling someone "fat". Just like you shouldn't go around saying, "Oh my God...you're so fat since the last time I saw you!" you can't say, "Oh my God...you look like a twig since I last saw you!"
lol I can just imagine someone doing that. Do take care of yourself though, being too thin also has it's health issues. When you are naturally geared toward being thin, the body burns the fat faster then you can pack it on. It's really easy to let your weight get too low, this is something I am dealing with now. Nice part though, it's an excuse to go have a hot fudge sundae, such as I did last night. I sympathize with anyone who has some issue they are trying hard to deal with, but at least ours is just getting to eat more yummy things.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
lol I can just imagine someone doing that. Do take care of yourself though, being too thin also has it's health issues. When you are naturally geared toward being thin, the body burns the fat faster then you can pack it on. It's really easy to let your weight get too low, this is something I am dealing with now. Nice part though, it's an excuse to go have a hot fudge sundae, such as I did last night. I sympathize with anyone who has some issue they are trying hard to deal with, but at least ours is just getting to eat more yummy things.

don't minimize what could be a serious condition either. Don't tell a thin person,"just eat something!" You don't know anyone's circumstance.
How about if society as a whole stops referring to anything that has to do with someone's weight-at all-ever-----thin or heavy!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM

130 posts, read 267,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
don't minimize what could be a serious condition either. Don't tell a thin person,"just eat something!" You don't know anyone's circumstance.
How about if society as a whole stops referring to anything that has to do with someone's weight-at all-ever-----thin or heavy!
Did you see in my post where I told him/her to take care? Here I will quote it for you:

Quote:
Do take care of yourself though, being too thin also has it's health issues.
You clearly didn't understand what I said. If one is naturally (naturally here means, through no illness or injury) thin, then the most they need do is just enjoy eating.
I think you just saw the last part of my post and then just fired off without reading it in it's entirety.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 PM

946 posts, read 2,410,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
name calling is just wrong---period.
Telling someone why they should or should not get offended is offensive.

People need to be aware that thin people aren't always intentionally thin. Just like on obese person can't always control that. Let us become a civil and polite society, and mind our manners. When is it ever ok to mention someone's weight? Never!
That's what irks me the most. Most, if not all, people assume that I'm thin by choice and that I don't eat. I'm not thin by choice, my whole family is thin and the heaviest I can weigh is still well under the average weight for a person my height. It never really bothers me when people comment on my weight because I like being thin, but there are times when I'm a little more sensitive to those comments than other times (for example I recently lost a bit more weight and was trying to gain it back). People have to understand that everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and making judgments at first glance is ignorant and just wrong.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 PM

946 posts, read 2,410,794 times
Quote:
Did you see in my post where I told him/her to take care? Here I will quote it for you:

You clearly didn't understand what I said. If one is naturally (naturally here means, through no illness or injury) thin, then the most they need do is just enjoy eating.
I think you just saw the last part of my post and then just fired off without reading it in it's entirety.
I understood what you were trying to say , and you're right. I love not having to second guess having a piece of chocolate cake or ever having to repress my cravings (knock on wood lol), because for the most part I'm very healthy.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:37 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
That's what irks me the most. Most, if not all, people assume that I'm thin by choice and that I don't eat. I'm not thin by choice, my whole family is thin and the heaviest I can weigh is still well under the average weight for a person my height. It never really bothers me when people comment on my weight because I like being thin, but there are times when I'm a little more sensitive to those comments than other times (for example I recently lost a bit more weight and was trying to gain it back). People have to understand that everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and making judgments at first glance is ignorant and just wrong.
Quote:

Quote:
I understood what you were trying to say , and you're right. I love not having to second guess having a piece of chocolate cake or ever having to repress my cravings (knock on wood lol), because for the most part I'm very healthy.
and MY point is that it is no one's business whether someone is thin because they are ill or naturally thin. And no one should have to explain their weight;whether thin or heavy.
It is rude and ill mannered to comment on anyone's weight. Period. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness