U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times

Advertisements

After being in the hospital and getting asked over and over again the same questions I was just wondering if they read the charts anymore . I mean since I am under two different drs care Im just wondering if they counsel with one another or if they confirm a dx anymore with each other . Does anyone else wonder about this as well ? I mean my husband and I both were like I just answered that ? hello look on your paperwork .
Im curious if anyone else had found this annoying as I did . I went ahead and answered it but really .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
A couple years ago when my husband was in the hospital we had the same experience, it was annoying. I'm not sure if they ever talk to each other, there were a couple times when I really had to wonder if anyone ever read a chart. There was one point where they took his blood at 10 am, analysis was done in a hour or so and his potassium levels were dangerously low. I saw all of the info on Patient Gateway and just assumed that they had given him a shot, no one noticed until almost midnight, had it not been the day he was allowed solid food and his lunch had a banana he would have likely gone into cardiac arrest. When I let his surgeon know she clenched her fists, apologized and stomped out of the room to yell.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
After being in the hospital and getting asked over and over again the same questions I was just wondering if they read the charts anymore . I mean since I am under two different drs care Im just wondering if they counsel with one another or if they confirm a dx anymore with each other . Does anyone else wonder about this as well ? I mean my husband and I both were like I just answered that ? hello look on your paperwork .
Im curious if anyone else had found this annoying as I did . I went ahead and answered it but really .
If they conferred with each other then they both wouldn't be able to charge you and subsequently buy new boats.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
I get this from my Primary Care Physician all the time. I have to remind him-constantly of certain things. It is ridiculous. Even more so that each time he looks surprised,as if it's the first time he's heard of X,Y or Z.....

Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Every year I need to get my thyroid meds refilled. Every year they ask how long I've had thyroid disease. Every year I have to tell them I don't have thyroid disease, and never did have it. Every year they ask why I need thyroid meds. Every year I point to the scar on my neck and remind them that I had a benign tumor growing on my thyroid and they had to surgically remove that half of my thyroid, and so now I have to take a maintenence dose daily for the rest of my life.

They still insist I have thyroid disease. I had this done 20 years ago. I've gone through 3 sets of physicians since it was done. And the new physician STILL insists I have thyroid disease. He used to try to make me get my thyroid panel done every 3 months. Even though my levels never change, as long as I continue to take the same dose of levo. That's cause - there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. It works perfectly. It just - only works on one side. The other side no longer exists.

I will never understand how it is that doctors don't just GET that.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Every year I need to get my thyroid meds refilled. Every year they ask how long I've had thyroid disease. Every year I have to tell them I don't have thyroid disease, and never did have it. Every year they ask why I need thyroid meds. Every year I point to the scar on my neck and remind them that I had a benign tumor growing on my thyroid and they had to surgically remove that half of my thyroid, and so now I have to take a maintenence dose daily for the rest of my life.

They still insist I have thyroid disease. I had this done 20 years ago. I've gone through 3 sets of physicians since it was done. And the new physician STILL insists I have thyroid disease. He used to try to make me get my thyroid panel done every 3 months. Even though my levels never change, as long as I continue to take the same dose of levo. That's cause - there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. It works perfectly. It just - only works on one side. The other side no longer exists.

I will never understand how it is that doctors don't just GET that.

It is so frustrating;especially when you see the same doctor(s). I mean if someone jumps from doctor to doctor-ok, expect that. But seeing the same one year after year and even a few times a year-they should know these things!! LOL

BTW-what meds are you on since having the partial thryroidectomy(sp)?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
100 micrograms of levothyroxine. I did switch doctors, but for pretty valid reasons. The first set, weren't all that great (it was a group - I hate groups), but I stuck with them for years. And then I moved to another town. So I switched to this guy on the other side of the town I moved to. And then HE moved to Hawaii. So I had to switch again, and went to this other group in town. They're worse than the first group I had, but at this point I'm just tired of trying to find *a* doctor who will recognize me when I walk through the door and treat me like a person instead of like a scheduled appointment time.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
100 micrograms of levothyroxine. I did switch doctors, but for pretty valid reasons. The first set, weren't all that great (it was a group - I hate groups), but I stuck with them for years. And then I moved to another town. So I switched to this guy on the other side of the town I moved to. And then HE moved to Hawaii. So I had to switch again, and went to this other group in town. They're worse than the first group I had, but at this point I'm just tired of trying to find *a* doctor who will recognize me when I walk through the door and treat me like a person instead of like a scheduled appointment time.

bless your heart and I know what you mean. I would prefer,"Hi Pippy" as opposed to,"you're my 3 o'clock"

Thanks for the name of the med. too; I need to look up information on that. Oh, wait--is that Synthroid?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
You mean like when you go to a new place and fill out a very detailed 400 page information sheet.....then get into the room and the nurse asks you the same questions all over again....then the doctor comes in and asks the same questions all over again?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
I go to 5 different doctors: Primary, Urologist, Allergist, Hematologist and an Eye Guy (the last two are once a year). They always ask me, while looking at the chart, about what meds I take. In that case I think it's just a cross/back check to make sure one hasn't been missed or if I'm taking something that would impact their thing. Each of them then ask about any symptoms related to their specialty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness