Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times

Advertisements

I've been having constipation problems for the past several weeks. There has been no change in my diet, but I've only been going every 3 days or so instead of everyday like I used to.
My stomach looks and feels bloated, and it's so bad when I sit down it kinda pushes up against my chest and its harder to breathe.
When I'm standing up or walking I dont feel it as much, so I dont think I have any congestion or condition in the lungs as I can walk for miles fine. But when I sit down or bend over I feel it, like a brick in my chest. Sometimes when I'm walking my back hurts abit, from the bloating.
My lower abdomen feels quite hard. It does make me more sluggish.
Should I go to the doctor, or try something to relieve the constipation on my own? I really dont want to take a laxative...but its really starting to weigh me down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
3 days without pooping is constipation. A laxative would definitely help. You don't have to use harsh stimulants though, try magnesium citrate liquid or a bulk-forming calcium polycarbophil pill like FiberCon. Also taking a good probiotic daily can help prevent constipation in the future.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Water, water, water!! Lots of water and fiber. Probiotics are great too!!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I've been having constipation problems for the past several weeks. There has been no change in my diet, but I've only been going every 3 days or so instead of everyday like I used to.
My stomach looks and feels bloated, and it's so bad when I sit down it kinda pushes up against my chest and its harder to breathe.
When I'm standing up or walking I dont feel it as much, so I dont think I have any congestion or condition in the lungs as I can walk for miles fine. But when I sit down or bend over I feel it, like a brick in my chest. Sometimes when I'm walking my back hurts abit, from the bloating.
Should I go to the doctor, or try something to relieve the constipation on my own? I really dont want to take a laxative...but its really starting to weigh me down...
Don't run to the doctor just yet. Try to help yourself.
I've dealt with constipation and bowel issues a lot in the past.
1st .... Someone recommended drinking more water and that is definitely a good piece of advice. If you're really backed up and/or bloated you may not feel like drinking lots of water but do it anyway. But sip it slowly throughout the day to avoid creating even more discomfort and try to get at least 6 - 8 glasses in your system.

2nd ... if you have a health food store nearby, buy a high quality, organic, whole leaf aloe vera juice. It works wonders and has many health benefits besides being very helpful in dealing with constipation.

3rd ... in that same health food store find some ginger tea or better yet buy some ginger root and chop it up as fine as you can and simmer it for a good long time and make a nice tea with it. Add honey. It's yummy and it helps with digestion and it helps any gas in your intestines to move out. It'll help ya fart! which you may need to do a lot of right now.
You're most likely experiencing back up of feces and lots of gas which can be really, really uncomfortable.

4th ... Cascara Sagrada is an excellent natrual / herbal remedy to help move the bowels. I'd go that route before using a drug store type laxative.
Avoid Senna as it causes gripping which can be just awful. It's a natural way to go but not recommended. There's also a tea that you can find in most health food stores. It's called "Smooth Move" and i think that the brand is Traditional Medicinals" but i'm not sure. A clerk will know.

5th ... eating fruit ... just fruit ... in the morning can be helpful although if you're digestion is poor the fruit may cause some gas. That's why it's important to eat fruit alone ... it's called food combining ... optimizing your digestion and, in this approach, fruit should always be eaten alone.

You say your diet hasn't changed although if you're not eating well in general, it can catch up to you and you'll start having intestinal issues.

6th ...Try hot bathes and/or a heating pad on your belly. Relax.
Gentle massaging can help too. Massage in a circular motion beginning on the right side of your belly and round and round. You'll be moving in the direction of the poop .... sorry, i don't know how else to explain it without going into detail about the various parts and action of the lower intestine.

7th ...If you've got some heavy or even not so heavy emotional issues going on, address them.

8th ... If possible, eat light until your bowels start to move again. Eat easily digestible food.

That's all i can think of at the moment. I have some other
remedies but this is a good way to start.
If you can deal with your bowel problems in a holistic way and get to the root of the problem, you'll be glad for that in the future.
Like any ailment this is a symptom and it's best to deal with the cause as opposed to just treating that symptom which doesn't mean you can't also treat the symptom which, given your discomfort level, you definitely want to do.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 06-13-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I will try some of those remedies.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Good advice. I think there is something called Miralax that a doctor suggested to me once. Two years after I had radiation for cancer of the uterus, I had to have emergency surgery for a blockage. The radiation had destroyed a little over a foot and a half of my intestine. I couldn't even pass gas!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Fresh sweet corn or sauerkraut-nature's laxatives.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
John, how old are you? While this may indeed just be constipation, if this persists, see your physician, as a change in bowel habits could indicate something more serious.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
John, how old are you? While this may indeed just be constipation, if this persists, see your physician, as a change in bowel habits could indicate something more serious.
I'm 33, and constipation is nothing new, but it usually doesn't persist for days and days. Usually when I'm constipated it clears up by now.
If it dont clear up I'm going to the doctor.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:05 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Fresh sweet corn or sauerkraut-nature's laxatives.
I would add cold apple juice to that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness