U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times

Advertisements

Anyone else here suffer from these damned Pre-Vent/Pre-Atrial contractions? If so, how do they manifest themselves in you?

I know exactly when they are happening with me because, no matter what sort of level of relaxation or happiness I'm in, or even when I'm v. sleepy, I'm in, I immediately feel a high level of... (best descriptor...) anxiety in my central chest region. It's like my chest is intensely "worrying", which is, of course, just silly! But it then also effectively prevents me from laying down and sleeping or even relaxing. A real Pain in the Butt, so to speak.

It's quite odd, esp. since I really do not have anything to especially be anxious about most of the time, except possibly having too many PV/PA-Cs. It's definitely a physiological response because I then check my pulse, and will always feel that cardiac irregularity, often as a series of sort of blips or bubble feeling in my throat, and as long as they continue, I will feel that way. I have felt missing at least 3 or 4 heart beats in a row, BTW... Hmmm... What if those beats stop altogether? Ouchy! Prob'ly won't have much time to worry then though, huh??

My BP is not necessarily high, nor is my heart rate. Usually it's about 130/85, @ 65 - 72 bpms.

The solution seems to be for me to take an Atavan type of sedative (≈ 0.5mg is all) and wait it out for about 1/2 hour. Once, two months ago, the condition resolved itself into an overnight case of a-fib, first time in my life that I know of. (In the cardiac unit at my local hospital, I was told that this is by no means unusual in guys in my condition or age...) A-fib also, of course, generates that awful anxiety feeling, which it seems stems from the heart. Possibly it releases some sort of messenger molecule to the body?

I've been told, and I've also read many times now, that PA/PVCs are essentially harmless in the moment, that they just represent a transient blip. My age is 64, I'm overweight and diabetic, both because of extreme arthritic degeneration disease for well over 25 yrs. coupled with the use of steroids for all of that time.

I'm thus forced to be sedentary, so I suspect my ol' heart is getting biochemically tired, and or it's conductivity is being reduced. (even slow water-walking for 1/2 h will put me and my aching joints into bed for the next day or two..).

I have no qualms that this is exactly how I'm gonna die, from a stroke (Tho' I do take those 81mg aspirins) or a really bad V-fib event (which is what killed my then-young 56 yr old) older brother. Otherwise, no such problems in my entire family, both sides.

Anyhow, it's a relentless nasty-bee-atch, makes me miserable, and I'd love to know if any of you have anything like these same distressing feelings.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:02 PM

55 posts, read 120,141 times
From the time i experienced my first 'episode' at age 15 over twenty years ago i knew i was dying.I had just laid down in bed for high school the next day when it happened.Doctors couldn't find anything.Went a couple years and it happened again but got really bad from the age of 21 through about 27.I bet i had fifty ER trips thinking i was dying.I finally on advice from a relative went and bought Fish Oil,Coq10 and Magnesium in 2004 or so.In the last six or seven years i have very rare occurances since starting this regimen.I literally cried after trying this and realized it actually worked.Peace felt so good not to worry that i was dying.I actually lived in fear that i could die anytime.Try those vitamins above.They may or may not work but the first thing i would try is Magnesium.....

Old 11-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Good info.

Will do. As you obviously know, Mike, it's no fun trying to go to sleep thinking "Oh well... it's been fun. I probably won't be waking up tomorrow..."

I've actually been on Cal-Mag (apparently you need the calcium to absorb the Magnesium), fish oil and Potassium Gluconate. CoQ 10 tho'... I have it and took it, but it didn't seem to do much of anything, and I'm always a bit suspicious of any supplement they say "you have to take this for 6 - 8 months" for it to work at all. I'm sure that if your bod is in need ofsome particular element that it's otherwise critically short of, it should respond sooner than that, huh?

Makes me think they are just trying to get you hooked "on" a supplement, since we humans tend to become creatures of habit. My good friend here is on about 12 of them, keeps adding new ones, and yet his heart condition seems to be worsening with age.

Anyhow, yours is an interesting story and I certainly know how you felt. It's one thing to be an outspoken pragmatist (Hell, I don't care if I live or die; we've all got to die some day!" but when it's your ticker that's misfiring, and you can feel it, it sure can scare you!

I appreciate your response, Mike. THX!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM

14,657 posts, read 29,708,617 times
I am a mature female, had little palpitations most of my life, but have had some worse episodes this past year. Certain things seem to "trigger" mine, it could be stress, too salty foods or soy, certain food sensitivities, weather, certain wines (especially some reds) and foods with nitrates and preservatives. Combining any of these makes for a guaranteed episode. The worst episode I had was a few months ago I was up ALL NIGHT with my heart starting/stopping/restarting - it was horrible and scary and put me in panic mode which makes it worse.

As far as supplements, the cal-mag definitely helps, I go light on caffeine, watch my salt/sugar intake and try never to drink more than two glasses of wine or other alcohol (big trigger for me). Tried the Coq10, doesn't seem to do anything. I also heard aloe vera juice helps, I drink a little every day. I do ride my bike every day and work in the yard and have lost weight, I need to lose about 20 more. I am thinking I can't have a serious problem because I do NOT have it all the time. It is worse at night and especially when I lie down, but if I'm careful it won't happen at all. I think some of us just have this, and it's the same as other people who get mirgraines - just an unexplained physical thing that gets triggered in some of us. Glad to know we are not alone.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,416,956 times
I had that about 4 years ago and I know the feeling. I figured out a remedy almost right away and by accident. I had begun to take olive leaf extract for immunity but within the first week of taking it, my heart had stopped bleeping and evened right out. Sometimes when I overdid the sugar consumption it would start to do that again and I'd take the OLE and it would stop again. It's a great little remedy. If you haven't been prescribed the potassium gluconate, you might want to reconsider b/c you can OD on potassium and it will throw your heart off rhythm--that's how mine jumped off--I was doing Atkins induction and feeling woozy so I took the K and had no idea you could take too much--there was a scary incident where my blood pressure spiked outrageously.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Havin' No Fun This Morning!

Thx gypsychic. Yup. Red wine, and sugar as triggers, esp. the red wine! And I've become diabetic in the last 2.5 yrs, mainly due to sedentary life style, aging of the overworked adrenal system, and my use of overly strong steroids (the really strong one; Decadron!, which is like using a 12 ga shotgun to stop a flea..). A competent rheuma-doc in SoCal prescribed that for VERY occasional use ("Never more than once every 6 - 8 weeks!), but that got quickly revised into "Take 25mg every weekend, even if you don't think you need it!"; the last advice from a small town GP doc when I moved from the LA Basin to a small town in Indiana. After about 12 years of declining health and the general feelings of the day, I finally travelled to The Mayo in Scottsdale. (A GREAT place, btw. Truly professional and competent!).

Oh and THx stepka re: Pott-Gluc. Nope; no prescription. I am also taking an RTx for Pott-Citrate for kidney stones (I've also passed well over 200 of those. Nope; not a typo. Two hundred! One was >1cm in diameter! OUCHY! And my urologist says the Pott-Cit will reduce the formation of those lovely little "gems". So I'm taking 1080 mg of Pott-Cit plus 595 mg of Pott-Gluc. Too much maybe? Gee: if it were only that simple!)

That stupid and dismissive decision by the small town doc resulted in 18 yrs of using Decadron for arthritis, to which the Mayo Clinic, when I got there with a big Q in my head about it all, said "You've been on WHAT? For HOW LONG??? Holy FRICK!"). They had me at least regulate it by taking a consistent 2 mg/day, now down to a mere 0.5mg/day. But my own steroid-production system has been ruined; I'm essentially steroid-dependent for the rest of my miserable life.

I'm writing this right now because I essentially cannot sleep. I woke up to go pee, and also because my geriatric (+20 yr old) cat Dottie decided to meow in my face. Really, I should put her out of my bedroom since being consistently woken up @ 4:00a is not a good thing.

But... so now, when I try to lay down, I feel like I'm going to die from the near-instant anxiety feeling in my chest, even though I'm very tired. God I'm tired! My eyes are dropping shut every few moments, and I desperately NEED to go to sleep. But as soon as I lay down, it starts up. What's with this positional thing?

BTW, My BP right now, is a nice 110/75, but my heart rate is a very irregular but averaged 60. I took 6.5 mg Coreg about 2 h ago, which is supposed to regulate and smooth the heart rate (apparently it acts like Metoprolol), but that hasn't stopped it from missing a beat or three every 15 - 40 seconds, as I write this!

This very morning I've measured the occasional miss of an accumulated 4 - 5 beats, which is truly scary, since hey: I think the heart is supposed to keep beating, no? And the resulting auto-anxiety feeling that this produces, which is purely physiological, is truly not pleasant, as you guys know.

Do I go to the hospital? I doubt if they can do much except get all excited, wire me up, and come in every 10 mintues to say "How are you feeling?". Oh, and yeah; should I go into V-fib, let's say, they could save my sorry mis-firing body. As well, the on-duty physician would tell me that "it's all quite OK, many folks experience this, and not to worry!" (I'm thinkin' they have NO IDEA what this is like!)

Pass the Atavan please!

What a sh%%%y way to spend the night!

Last edited by rifleman; 11-07-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Yup, it's an electrical issue within our bodies - we probably are deficient or have an inbalance in our electrolytes, or something causes an imbalance in it. I don't think we need to go to the hospital, since we all seem to have this only intermittently. Funny how it's worse when we lie down. I'm not worrying about it quite as much as I was because I have done research on the web and it seems there are THOUSANDS of us out there with the same thing, many who have gone to the hospital dozens of times only to be told there is nothing wrong with them.

I think I am eventually going to have to severely restrict my wine consumption (as much as I love it) because alcohol is a huge trigger for me. I'm not really a big drinker, but more than two glasses of wine is a guaranteed episode. Same with sugar or heavy, greasy foods. I think as we get older, our bodies can't process some things they way it used to and we have to change our habits.

I never have any problem when I am working out, so I take that as a good sign. I have also read that keeping very well hydrated by drinking lots of water is very helpful for this condition.

Rifleman, sorry you had such a bad night, I can relate. I have only had one night so far that was as bad as that, and am hoping not to repeat it.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
May be a stupid and useless question Rifleman, but do you think it may be more productive to work on how to deal with the anxiety part of it?
Certain conditions produce anxiety and anxiety then produces its own symptoms.
It's been most helpful for my husband for me to just get his attention as completely as possible and remind him to do counted breathing. It does resolve the situation pretty quickly.
I also admit it is extremely difficult to do it all by yourself since, in an anxious state, will power and concentration aren't at peak(an understatement)

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 AM

To Rifleman and anyone else reading - try magnesium, but not just ANY magnesium, magnesium citrate. The best one is called CALM. I was wondering why I started having so many palp. problems this year, I hadn't had any for a really long time. Then I remembered I quit taking magnesium (along with a lot of other things) and that's when the big problems started.

Last night I looked in my cupboard and found the CALM powder, (you heat water and dissolve it, it fizzes) and took some and I immediately felt GREAT - no palpitations and felt, yes - calm! Slept really well, too.

There is actually a lot of articles on the web about how this magnesium helps people with our problem, you can google it. I do believe most people prefer this brand of the magnesium. All our minerals and electrolytes have to be in balance, and most people take in more calcium than magnesium which makes us deficient. So if your problem is related to deficiency this should give you almost immediate relief. If you decide to try it, work up slow, recommended dose is 3 tsp. per day, but you might start off with one - it can have a laxative effect.

Good luck, hope this helps someone!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
May be a stupid and useless question Rifleman, but do you think it may be more productive to work on how to deal with the anxiety part of it?
Certain conditions produce anxiety and anxiety then produces its own symptoms.
It's been most helpful for my husband for me to just get his attention as completely as possible and remind him to do counted breathing. It does resolve the situation pretty quickly.
I also admit it is extremely difficult to do it all by yourself since, in an anxious state, will power and concentration aren't at peak(an understatement)
I thought of this, old_cold (btw, good to see you over here!] but here's the problem. Prior to those physiological events, I am almost always in a calm and relaxed state. Often I'm about to nod off in my chair, and I get up, go to bed, and try to lay down.

But then it starst, and the resultant physiologcal response, that of extreme anxiety, arises centered in my chest. yes, it's then also psychologically challenging, adding to the overall problem, and then I try some relaxation techniques. This is why I've concluded it's a manifestation of some sort of biochemical physiology, not originating in some overlaying anxiety issue(s).

Now, having said that, I have also taken to practicing some simple Yoga relaxation techniques as required (Imagine! Me!). Frankly, it can and does help with the rising add-on anxiety feelings that also accompany this problem, but still, the physiologically-based ones will not go away.

I actually had a good sleep last night, because I first took an Ambien, which is the first time I've taken one of those in >>6 months. I'm hardly "addicted" to sedatives. As well, I was really tired from the night before! We'll see what happens tonight!

The magnesium thing I'll try. I am sure it's a conductivity/biochemistry issue, and it remains to find out exactly what can and will help.

Meantime, I'll have-tah just suffer along!

Thx to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or