Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
A also am very blessed to have excellent health for being almost 59. I have no need for regular medications. I always get a clean check up. Why?
1. Good genes. All my siblings are still alive and healthy. Most are older.
2. I've always been an active person. Played HS and college sports. Still go hiking in the mountains, walk over a mile several times a day, walk when I play golf, etc.
3. Low stress jobs. I really don't function will with high stress, so I've stayed away from that kind of work.
4. Kept my weight in check. Don't drink much alcohol, no smoking.
5. Can't say eating all the right foods gets much credit. I like hamburgers, steak, Pizza, ice cream.

Only thing that I can point to that I think makes a major difference for most people is having good blood circulation, which means exercise, and low blood preasure. Why good blood circulation. Think about it. If you have poor circulation, then the cells are not getting the oxigen they need, which can lead to cancer, and low function, or being susceptible to other diseases. Good circulation also helps the cells because the blood also carries away the impurities that need to be flushed. High blood preasure damages organs that use a lot of blood, because the extra preasure is pounding on the vessels, and damaging them.
So interesting! I also do NOT get mammograms and try to avoid the doctor at all costs . . .I will be going soon, though, to get my thyroid and some other functions checked. My doctor is pretty mainstream (huge HMO), but she listens to me - when I told her there was no reason to send me to a rheumatist for the gout because the only way to tell what is causing gout is to take a sample of synovial fluid, she actually ASKED me questions! I appreciate her openess and lack of ego . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Don't get: Mammograms, flu shots, shingles shots . . refuse most medications that are offered . . .when I had gout, some horrible medication was offered - no thanks - when I was having anxiety over a life issue, some major drugs were prescribed - no thanks . . .I will get through this without drugs!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Don't get: Mammograms, flu shots, shingles shots . . refuse most medications that are offered . . .when I had gout, some horrible medication was offered - no thanks - when I was having anxiety over a life issue, some major drugs were prescribed - no thanks . . .I will get through this without drugs!

you don't get mammograms....because??

Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you don't get mammograms....because??
I did some research online and determined that FOR ME, the risk of additional radiation is not worth the potential of discovering something that is most likely not going to be there.

AND, I personally believe that focusing on breasts as disease-ridden blobs of flesh is also not helpful. I do not choose to see my body as diseased . . .

I believe in natural health, so why would I get additional radiation? The effects of radiation are cumulative.

I had a ton of radiation as a child, when I had no say-so . . .so now I just say "no."

It is my body. Not some doctors or hospitals "tissue."

I did get mammograms for a few years, then came to my senses. I am not advocating this route for anyone else . . . it is what works for me . . .

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Eating heaps of liver and other organ meats, eggs and lots of coffee.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
My theory regarding my (not apparent) good health:

First - my health isn't merely apparent, it's bonafide certified good health, as evidenced by the results of blood tests, yearly checkups, mammograms, dental radiographs, lack of sickness, and physical ability.

I know that I can attribute this health to a variety of things:

Thanks to Ambien, I now sleep 7 hours nightly, which I hadn't been able to do for the 40 years I existed prior to my getting my first prescription.

Thanks to synthroid, the other half of my thyroid that is still intact, doesn't have to work overtime to produce enough hormones to keep me healthy. The first half was excised because of a benign tumor.

I eat what I feel like eating, but I watch my portions, and I try not to overdo it on the carbs. I'm a starch junkie, and being aware of that really helps my keeping the consumption to a minimum.

I exercise every day; at least 3 times a week at the gym, and I walk as much as possible the other days.

I have a wonky immune system. I used to get -both- intestinal bugs AND some variation of influenza every year. That was on top of chronic, seasonal asthmatic bronchitis. I haven't experienced any of that in over 10 years, though in the wintertime I do get the sniffles and chapped lips.

I was a smoker for a very long time, but I quit 5 years ago.
I drink on occasion, usually just a glass of Sangria or a couple ounces of a chocolate liqueur I really love. Sometimes I'll pour that chocolate stuff over ice cream and enjoy it as a dessert.

I do what I enjoy doing, most of the time, I enjoy my job and take pride in my work, even though it is "just" a cashier job. My philosophy on work is that whatever job a person does, they should take pride in it. If they can't be proud of what they do, then they shouldn't do it. A sense of accomplishment in even the most "simplistic" task helps self-esteem, and helps mental health, which has a profound effect on physical health.

I don't just think I'm healthy. I know I am. And I know I am, because every year, I get checked out by physicians who have some general idea of what it means to be a healthy human being. If I feel "off" then I take note of it, and if it doesn't improve in a few days, I check with the physicians who have some general idea of what it means to be a healthy human being. I don't google the internet for symptoms and conclude that I must have illness #742. I am not a professional physician. I leave the diagnoses up to the professionals. Just like they leave the task of taking their money when they want a case of paper for their printer up to me.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM

741 posts, read 1,678,654 times
I also study holistic medicine--alternative healing --I added you so that we can share ideas, etc.. I am currently working on an aromatherapy presentation /research paper... I have a long way to go though and I doubt will ever Master one single thing since I am interested in so many different things like, essential oils, chinese medicine, ReiKi, Yoga, etc...
I have been very healthy since I quit smoking and put on 20-30 pounds.. I don't know why, but when I was thin for most of my life, I also got sick a lot...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I also study holistic medicine--alternative healing --I added you so that we can share ideas, etc.. I am currently working on an aromatherapy presentation /research paper... I have a long way to go though and I doubt will ever Master one single thing since I am interested in so many different things like, essential oils, chinese medicine, ReiKi, Yoga, etc...
I have been very healthy since I quit smoking and put on 20-30 pounds.. I don't know why, but when I was thin for most of my life, I also got sick a lot...
Wow. We do have a lot in common. My interests are also eclectic. I am a Reiki "master" teacher . . .aromatherapy is one of my passions . . .and I know I will never master one single discipline, as well . . . I am a dilettante, but don't see that as a bad thing.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I just remembered something else I think has contributed to my (apparent) good health . . .I got rid of all of my carpet, except in the bedroom. I have come to view carpet as a filth receptacle . . .I had bought a shampooer and was using vinegar and hot water on the carpet, at least weekly. I don't wear shoes in the house, but the carpet was always dirty . . .I don't think that is healthy . . .so with the carpet removal, I feel one more contaminant has been eliminated from my life . . . I use Mrs. Myers cleaning solutions and use essential oils in the water as well . . .Love it - it really brightens up the chi in the house.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
imcurious wrote:
Sugar is hugely toxic. I have cut down, significantly, and hope to do even better in that area . . .
Sugar is nasty stuff for sure, but not as harmful as table salt ( NaCl ). I avoid that poison at all costs. Been using himalayan crystal salt for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness