Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

Good advice by Jukesgrrl. I was very active in sports all the way through college (I moderate the football forum)and also recovered from a nasty car wreck from 1971. I've been arthritic since the mid 70's. and have needed both knees and the left hip replaced for years;actually the better half of a couple decades. A few years ago I decided to hell with the pills and the cortisone shots (had plenty of them too). Chondroitin/MSM helps, medium exercise helps, water aerobics helps. Even just getting up out of the chair and walking down to the mailbox every other hour or so helps. No more Ibuprofen 800, no more Vicodin. No more stomach problems. No more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
A long hot soak with Epsom salts will help any muscle spasms due to favoring a hip or knee. Or wring out a hand towel in hot water/Epsom salts and lay it over the sore area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Only takes 800mg or so to start damaging your liver on a lot of these things, especially if you drink as well. just be careful.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
My husband was taking 800mg twice a day of Ibruprofen for 3 mnths. He then got 3 bad stomach ulcers, Gastritis. He needs to take something as he suffers from arthritis.

He tried fish oil, he is not overweight, he eats very healthy. Yet he is in pain.

currently he is taking Tylenol 3 with codeine only when needed. Problem with that is its binds him up bad, even if taken with high fiber.

Isnt mobic easier on the liver and stomach?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Keep in mind that stronger muscles help take the pressure off arthritic joints.
Suitable excercise is very important.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
PhxBarb wrote:
OK, so what natural remedies do you have for pain? And I mean real arthritic pain that makes me want to do nothing but sit in a chair and vegetate. If not tylenol, then what? I have degenerative arthritis, a bulging disc, a cyst on my lumber spine, scoliosis, and other maladies that leech the calcium from my bones. Just what do you suggest for this?
Kratom works wonders for me. In addition to pain relief it also provides a very delightful mood lift and serves as an effective sleep aid as well. But do be cautious with kratom...there are many vendors selling bogus, ineffective kratom for ridiculous prices. Upon request, I can give you a list of reputable vendors who sell high quality kratom at very affordable prices.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Thanks everyone for your help !!! I will try the Schiff meds as soon as I can get to the drugstore. I do exercise by walking the dogs, gardening, cleaning the house (its up for sale), but by nighttime, I do ache alot and its hard to sleep comfortably. Am wondering if a hip or knee replacement is a good thing or not ?? My pain is on the left side (hip, knee, sciatica) and if I could replace this side, I would be great ! What is Kratom? That is one I never heard of. Yes, please do send me info about it. Am willing to try anything at this point. Its ridiculous. My mother is 101 and in excellent health. What did I do wrong???

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Can only tell you that for my daughter a hip replacement was a blessing. Not easy to do, a lot of down time, but she did all the PT and is sooo happy she had it done. Pain is gone!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
Ibuprofen and advil almost killed my mom last year, and have left her in a nursing home for the remainder of her life. She was in rehab recovering from an intestinal blockage and not eating. The nurses were not monitoring her food intake, but were giving her the maximum amount of ibuprofen for her arthritic back. One night she vomited blood all night long (and nobody came in to check on her.) By the time she was rushed to the ER, her blood pressure was 50/35. Somehow, she survived and they found a bleeding duodenal ulcer. They did not expect her to survive the surgery the next day, but she did. She was in the hospital for 5 weeks dealing with the ramifications of the bleeding ulcer. We cannot know for sure the NSAIDS were the culprit, but she had been taking them 3-4 times per day for at least 10 years. She is now in a nursing home with a colostomy (she had more complications a few weeks after the ulcer surgery.) She will never leave the nursing home. While she is elderly (83,) she had been living independently prior to the intestinal blockage, ulcer and other complications last year.

I now only take NSAIDS a few times a week for arthritis pain.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
Asprin & Ibruprofin date way back, very old drugs! You would think that by now almost 2012 that there would be many Anti-inflam drugs that have no side effects, especially on the GI system.

Tylenol is like candy, yet it will destroy your liver.

We cant win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness