U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times

Advertisements

Well, I used to down those pills advil every day cause it helped my arthritis, my sinus, and made me feel better. I guess I have been taking it for about 10 years. And I was up to 500 mg 4 times a day.

Well, I now have an ulcer and esophogitis inflammation and have endured 3 endoscopies in the last year. I had to switch to Tylenol but one of my docs saw my MRI and offered Percoset. I turned it down. I am truly not happy with Tylenol but don't want to become an addict. Pain is not fun, folks. But if anyone has been taking advil like I was, watch out. It could be harming your insides.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Well, I used to down those pills advil every day cause it helped my arthritis, my sinus, and made me feel better. I guess I have been taking it for about 10 years. And I was up to 500 mg 4 times a day.

Well, I now have an ulcer and esophogitis inflammation and have endured 3 endoscopies in the last year. I had to switch to Tylenol but one of my docs saw my MRI and offered Percoset. I turned it down. I am truly not happy with Tylenol but don't want to become an addict. Pain is not fun, folks. But if anyone has been taking advil like I was, watch out. It could be harming your insides.

taking too much of anything can have bad results. Tylenol is the devil. Be more careful with that than you were with the Ibuprofen!!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Perhaps the OP might wish to look into dietary changes to help reduce inflamation and the use of a Neti Pot to address sinus problems? Often better living through chemistry causes more problems than it solves. Unfortunately Americans have been led to believe that popping a pill is a problem solver when often all it really does is mask symptoms.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps the OP might wish to look into dietary changes to help reduce inflamation and the use of a Neti Pot to address sinus problems? Often better living through chemistry causes more problems than it solves. Unfortunately Americans have been led to believe that popping a pill is a problem solver when often all it really does is mask symptoms.
Yep.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:41 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
taking too much of anything can have bad results. Tylenol is the devil. Be more careful with that than you were with the Ibuprofen!!
I agree--read the FDA website warnings if you want to scare yourself to death. If you have a cold, you have to be careful to not buy several cold remedies that have tylenol in them b/c you can't go over the recommended dose at all or you'll get liver damage. Also, beware of tylenol pm--or rather, don't get dependent on it, or any of these other things. If you're taking this stuff all the time, it's better to search around for natural remedies b/c they are only meant to be used for a short while and then discontinued.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,980 times
Advil and other NSAIDs have been known to cause stomach and bleeding issues for a long time.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times
OK, so what natural remedies do you have for pain? And I mean real arthritic pain that makes me want to do nothing but sit in a chair and vegetate. If not tylenol, then what? I have degenerative arthritis, a bulging disc, a cyst on my lumber spine, scoliosis, and other maladies that leech the calcium from my bones. Just what do you suggest for this?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
OK, so what natural remedies do you have for pain? And I mean real arthritic pain that makes me want to do nothing but sit in a chair and vegetate. If not tylenol, then what? I have degenerative arthritis, a bulging disc, a cyst on my lumber spine, scoliosis, and other maladies that leech the calcium from my bones. Just what do you suggest for this?
Have you had a good talk with your doc? YOu have a good point--I don't know of natural remedies for that, but obviously you are not going to do well with ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Is it possible to combine the two--like switch them off? You certainly don't want to trade off one set of problems for another.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:

all I could suggest is speaking to your doctor,getting massages,swimming laps,moderate exercise.
I know those things probably don't seem possible but if you can try them or something like Yoga and meditating, you might be surprised at how much better you could feel.
In so far as medications go--I prefer taking prescribed pain pills over any OTC things like Tylenol,etc

Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
I certainly don't have any issues nearly as serious as yours, Barb. But I have had excellent results with the arthritis in my knees by taking chondroitin/MSM. My mother has very serious arthritis/spinal stenosis and her ortho physician recommended it for her years ago. So I gave it a shot when walking after getting out of a chair got a bit embarrassing (i.e., staggering like I'm 110). I had to take it for almost a month before I noticed any change, then one day I got out of bed and felt like a new person.

I know people who have taken it for shoulder pain and had no good results, but I would question if their issues weren't more muscular than skeletal. Yours definitely sound skeletal so you might want to give it a shot if you haven't already. I take the Schiff brand I get at Costco. My mother's brand is called Move Free Triple Strength. If you register your purchases with Schiff online they give you $5-off coupon based on how much you purchased. And Costco often has coupons for Schiff products in its monthly coupon mailing. Lots of other companies also make these products since they appear to be wildly popular with the baby boom generation.

I'm sure you already know that when you take those hard calcium-looking pills you need to drink a lot of water so they dissolve properly. Chondroitin products are also available as a juice or unflavored powder that can be dissolved in some other drink.

I also have some nerve damage in my left leg and foot due to an injury I had several years ago. I have had surprisingly good results for that pain and swelling by taking alpha lipoic acid (an antioxidant frequently used in the treatment of neuropathy) for the nerve pain and an herbal thing called horse chestnut that is supposed to increase circulation in your legs. The horse chestnut (it's processed bark and seeds) has definitely decreased the constant swelling I had in my left ankle for years. Both of those things come in capsule form.
These links are explanatory info from the National Institutes of Health's Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine:
Antioxidant Supplements for Health: An Introduction Page 3 May 2010 [NCCAM Newsletter]
Horse Chestnut [NCCAM Herbs at a Glance]

I would also encourage you to do some gentle exercise like yoga or tai chi if you can. I think the meditative part is as important as the balance and stretching aspects for pain. I notice my mother (who can barely walk, let alone do regular yoga) sleeps much better on days she has her chair-yoga therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness