U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 PM

137 posts, read 471,786 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My mom came the other day back from mammogram/ultrasound or whatever, and the doctor wrote down on the paper "Left breast pain and lump" and told her she need to call a doctor for appointment.

I called the doctor and next available appointment is in 6 weeks.
That's way too long

Ever since I heard my mom got breast pain and lump, I almost cry all the time and is very very worried about her
She's only 54 years young

She's my life Please what is the cause?
I hope it's not breast cancer or any surgery needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
Hello,

My mom came the other day back from mammogram/ultrasound or whatever, and the doctor wrote down on the paper "Left breast pain and lump" and told her she need to call a doctor for appointment.

That's way too long

Ever since I heard my mom got breast pain and lump, I almost cry all the time and is very very worried about her

Libnani, it's probably nothing but I'd try to get her in sooner even if you have to get another doc. Six weeks is way too long to keep someone hanging and scared to death like that. If she drinks a lot of coffee, see if you can get her to slow down on that--it tends to make you cystic. Also, my understanding is that early cancer lumps don't tend to hurt.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Totally agree with stepka. If it hurts, it is *probably* just a cyst. Lots of times, they do a wait and see on painful lumps, such as - wait and see a week after your period is over, and if the lump is still there, THEN we'll decide what, if anything, to do next.

She has probably had several cysts in her breasts over the years; it's pretty common. Just most women don't notice them, or miss them because they're doing breast self-exams when they're -not- menstruating. Cysts can often show up right before your period, and go away on their own right after it. They don't usually hurt, but if they're pushing against a nerve or are especially dense over the muscle, can cause a feeling like there's a bruise there.

If the doctor feels something -should- be done, the most typical things are this: a biopsy, if it's close to the surface. Technically, this is surgery, because they'll make a tiny cut in the skin and snip the lump out, then put a stitch in (if it's even necessary), and she goes home, a little sore, but no worse for the wear. A needle biopsy is another option; they stick a needle in where the lump is, and extract some tissue into a tube for testing. Since this doesn't involve anasthesia, I personally consider this the least attractive option from the patient's point of view. I'm a baby when it comes to discomfort

There is also the ultrasound (which is usually the -first- thing they'd do after a mammogram/x-ray), which is used to provide the exact location of the cyst, and determine its density. That's a pretty neat test, because the patient can watch on the monitor, there's zero pain at all (other than the bruising feeling when the scanner slides over the skin just above where the cyst is), no bleeding, no incisions, no squeezing the boob like they do in mammograms.

If it looks like a little pebble, in the middle of tissue-nowheresville, then it's almost sure to be nothing more than a pesky little cyst, and it's left alone to dissolve over time.

Definitely no coffee or tea or caffeinated soda for the next few days for your mom.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM

137 posts, read 471,786 times
Thank you so much for the responds.

God Bless all of you!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
Hello,

That's way too long

Please don't panic like this. If there were serious concern for cancer they would have gotten your mom in for more tests very quickly.

This is most likely just a cyst.

The pain of cysts can often be eliminated by taking Vitamin E and Oil of Primrose. In addition, she should avoid caffiene. Suggest she try these things until her next appt.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes

Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Libnani, please let us know how it goes. You sound like a wonderful daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or