U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times

Advertisements

Recovering alcoholics are alcoholics.
Was an alcoholic an alcoholic even before he had his first drink?
If mom and dad and uncle and aunt and grandpas and grammas were alcoholics, is junior very likely an alcoholic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Recovering alcoholics are alcoholics.
Was an alcoholic an alcoholic even before he had his first drink?
If mom and dad and uncle and aunt and grandpas and grammas were alcoholics, is junior very likely an alcoholic?
No, an alcoholic is not an alcoholic until they themselves drink and develop the disease.

Prior to that happening a person just has a strong family history, a propensity to become an alcoholic and should therefore be wary of ever drinking. Because YES, junior is very likely to become an alcoholic if not careful.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 AM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
If jr has the same addictive quality, then yes, he runs the risk of being addicted to something..what that something is, is up to him.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:23 AM

251 posts, read 485,959 times
Agree with previous posters. Addiction is highly hereditary and takes many forms. If parents are alcoholics, then the child is certainly predisposed to alcoholism and other addictions. It's not a guarantee, but highly likely.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,483,824 times
I agree with lovesmountains on this one.

In my own experience, my genetics were against me from the start, but I didn't become alcoholic until I drank the stuff and started to develop that "sense of ease and comfort" which follows a few drinks.

It's like telling two young women to go find out all they can about having an orgasm. One of the girls follows the analytical and logical approach and follows a scientific and academic approach on the subject. Her sister finds a young guy and has lots of sex. In time, which one of the two knows more about having an orgasm? The one with all the knowledge? Or the one with the experience?

For the alcoholic, the alcohol must be experienced.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,914,194 times
Alcoholism is also only one way that the propensity for compulsive and/or addictive behavior can present itself. If you have the gene (or whatever it is), you might never drink a drop but you could become a compulsive spender, develop an eating disorder or a compulsive sexual dysfunction, gamble addictively, or some other thing. Many alcoholics who stop drinking, especially if they have no recovery program, transfer their addictive nature to another behavior.

Then again, there are people who have dozens of extreme alcoholics in their family, yet they seem to have no trouble sticking to moderation in all things. I think it's the underlying urge that separates an alcoholic from a drinker -- whether it hits one in a generation or multiple people.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Many alcoholics who stop drinking, especially if they have no recovery program, transfer their addictive nature to another behavior.
City-Data Forum?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

527 posts, read 2,489,595 times
Both my parents were alcoholics and alcoholism runs heavily through both sides of my family. I, however, am not an alcoholic. However, I was greatly impacted by growing up in an alcoholic home and subsequently married an alcoholic. Prior to meeting my spouse, my life was full of many instances of irresponsible behavior that can be attributed to being raised in an alcoholic home.

No one who grows up with alcoholism in their family comes out unscathed. There's no guarantee that someone will became an alcoholic, but they will be impacted.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Both my parents were alcoholics and alcoholism runs heavily through both sides of my family. I, however, am not an alcoholic. However, I was greatly impacted by growing up in an alcoholic home and subsequently married an alcoholic. Prior to meeting my spouse, my life was full of many instances of irresponsible behavior that can be attributed to being raised in an alcoholic home.

No one who grows up with alcoholism in their family comes out unscathed. There's no guarantee that someone will became an alcoholic, but they will be impacted.
So well said

But I'm sorry for you struggles and hope if you are still married to an alcoholic that you have considered joining Al-Anon. http://www.al-anon.org/about.html (broken link)

Best of luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 AM

527 posts, read 2,489,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So well said

But I'm sorry for you struggles and hope if you are still married to an alcoholic that you have considered joining Al-Anon. What is Al-Anon? (http://www.al-anon.org/about.html - broken link)

Best of luck.
Just went to my weekly Al Anon meeting last night! Great organization...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness