U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM

851 posts, read 2,475,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Hmmmm. Obviously, I have a lot of questions and intend to grill the 2nd Dr. when I see her. Since I am going through menapause, I am not concerned about leaving the uterus and having more fibroids appear. My present Dr. said fibroids do shrink without the presence of estrogen resulting in menapause which is why she didn't feel the need for surgery yet. Again, I have no bleeding or pain issues. Sometimes it feels like I am going to get my period and the full feeling bladder is of concern.

Yes, I think you are on track! Do your research and ASK lots of questions.

The differering opinions are interesting. FWIW, the 2nd Dr I spoke with said fibroids are normal and common. In my reading I found some instances implying they can or might shrink which is why I asked. From additional reading, I now believe that I had too many and they were too large for "shrinking'" that might occur to offer much relief any time soon. I guess some questions I'd have now are: 1) How many how large are they today? More/bigger than in the past? Will they stop? How much might they likey shrink? How long would it take?

There are varying opinions on "shrinking" and nothing on the subject seems to be conclusive. I was the one who opted to NOT have surgery when it first came up. For me also, no pain or bleeding issues, but I still ended up having it for reasons I've already shared. I was still perimenopausal. It will be VERY interesting to hear what the 2nd Dr has to say.

All said, unless it's clearly indicated, I'm still a believer in NOT having surgery if it's an appropriate option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Yes, I think you are on track! Do your research and ASK lots of questions.

The differering opinions are interesting. FWIW, the 2nd Dr I spoke with said fibroids are normal and common. In my reading I found some instances implying they can or might shrink which is why I asked. From additional reading, I now believe that I had too many and they were too large for "shrinking'" that might occur to offer much relief any time soon. I guess some questions I'd have now are: 1) How many how large are they today? More/bigger than in the past? Will they stop? How much might they likey shrink? How long would it take?

There are varying opinions on "shrinking" and nothing on the subject seems to be conclusive. I was the one who opted to NOT have surgery when it first came up. For me also, no pain or bleeding issues, but I still ended up having it for reasons I've already shared. I was still perimenopausal. It will be VERY interesting to hear what the 2nd Dr has to say.

All said, unless it's clearly indicated, I'm still a believer in NOT having surgery if it's an appropriate option!
Well, like I reported earlier in the thread, I tried to avoid the hysterectomy for 2 years when my doctor recommended I have it.

But ultimately my body made the decision for me when I hemorrhaged.

When it was all said and done and I was completely recovered, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I have felt GREAT since

Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
When it was all said and done and I was completely recovered, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I have felt GREAT since
I know a lot of women who have had hysterectomies.

Only one said she regretted it, and that was because she had an infertility problem and never been pregnant. The surgery made the fact that she would never bear a child final.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times
"One thing I would like to know from those that had an enlarged uterus but were able to just remove the fibroid, did your uterus go back to normal and did the bladder issues cease?"

I didn't have any bladder issues other than a slight fullness. Both that and the back and leg pain that I had resolved immediately. My uterus shrunk back to normal size within 2 cycles. My periods and ovulation stayed textbook at 28 days as well.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
I did not feel better by the removal of my uterus and one ovary. My bladder issues are worse, I gained a lot of weight, a lot of things are so much worse than before.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:08 PM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I did not feel better by the removal of my uterus and one ovary. My bladder issues are worse, I gained a lot of weight, a lot of things are so much worse than before.
Good to hear all sides. I was reading that incontinence can begin after hysterectomies sometimes. Such a delicate operation with so many nerves involved not to mention possible scar tissue. I would hate to feel worse instead of better. Had my shoulder surgery earlier this year for bone spurs and here I am seven months later feeling like I have cement in my shoulder wishing I had just left it.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:41 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
I was diagnosed with seven fibroids in 1998 and did have the hysterectomy. I have now gone through menopause and feel great. Mine never did cause me any problems. I am so glad I did not have the hysterectomy.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Good to hear all sides. I was reading that incontinence can begin after hysterectomies sometimes. Such a delicate operation with so many nerves involved not to mention possible scar tissue. I would hate to feel worse instead of better. Had my shoulder surgery earlier this year for bone spurs and here I am seven months later feeling like I have cement in my shoulder wishing I had just left it.
It stinks when you think you will feel better and instead you feel worse!

Granted, I clearly don't have periods anymore, let alone really heavy ones, but I still have the same pain that was on one of my ovaries. The ovary was removed but the pain was still there. They found polyps on my colon and thought that was the issue. Removed them and I still have the pain.

Then I gained all the weight. I thought my bladder issues would improve and they stayed the same, maybe a bit worse.

However, I had quite a few fibroids and one was the size of a grapefruit so I'm glad it was removed, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I was diagnosed with seven fibroids in 1998 and did have the hysterectomy. I have now gone through menopause and feel great. Mine never did cause me any problems. I am so glad I did not have the hysterectomy.
I'm confused. I suspect there is a typo in here because you say you had a hysterectomy but didn't.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
Quote:
I'm confused? In the same sentence you said you were diagnosed with fibroids and had a hysterectomy and the of the sentence you said you were glad you didn't have one? Which is it?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
That's the way it works for some women - glad you were able to avoid surgery my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness