U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,326,570 times

Advertisements

"The only side effect was I went from size 4 to size 5 while on it. Now I'm back to my regular size and I feel great."

ans57 -- I would love to have that side effect from any treatment I have.
You lucky girl, you...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 4,414,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
"The only side effect was I went from size 4 to size 5 while on it. Now I'm back to my regular size and I feel great."

ans57 -- I would love to have that side effect from any treatment I have.
You lucky girl, you...lol
I should have said "I felt bloated while on it," because that's what I meant.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 PM

ans57 --- either way, you're nice and trim...lol. I was just teasing you and meant that as a compliment.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
I had no idea that I had fibroids. I went into the emergency room six years ago because I was afraid I had a hernia in my abdomen and it was painful because it protruded from my stomach. While laying in bed after getting a CT Scan, the emergency Dr. comes over to tell me that I have a fibroid the size of a four month fetus and have to get a hysterectomy! Straight out told me without asking any questions or offering any options. I was devastated especially since I came in for something different entirely! So instead of just having to deal with a protruding hernia, I also had to see people about treatment for the fibroid! The size has not changed since then so who knows how long I have had these things, but I did end up having hernia mesh repair and I can tell you that is was more painful than my C Section by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:58 PM

I knew lots of women who talked about having fibroids. But I had the most severe case of anyone I knew. I know several women who've had a hysterectomy and when they found out I had a myomectomy and was healthy afterwards, they were surprised because it was not an option they had been offered.

A couple of my mom's friends have had the myolysis and uterine artery embolization treatments and they were satisfied with those and haven't had any more problems. But mine were just too big for those options.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM

For anyone interested, here's a discussion that's a few years old (it's not too lengthy) discussing the efforts to get the message out about the side effects of having a hysterectomy.

https://www.inspire.com/Faith2/journ...-hysterectomy/

Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM

21,483 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
More often than not women are given the advice and recommendation to have the hysterectomy as a first option of treatment against various uterine conditions. And the more severe your case appears the less options you'll be given.

Women should be given the option to keep their uterus just as enthusiastically as they are given the option to remove it.

And a couple of surgeons and doctors, who decades ago were alone in their fight to preserve the whole woman have over the years trained a crop of young new surgeons here in the States to go forward. And that is definitely a good thing!

So the patient has no responsibility to ask about other options?

The era of a paternalistic pat on the head and "doctor knows best" went out ages ago.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM

I think we are all in agreement that the patient has the ultimate responsibility to research all options concerning their care. That's exactly what the OP has done by starting this thread and what many of us are trying to convey in our responses. And obviously we all agree that a patriarchal approach to our healthcare isn't in our best interests.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone stated otherwise?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
Was all set to see my new OBG tomorrow and what do you think happened? After nine months of no period...you guessed it. Rescheduled for two weeks. So pissed this thing isn't over yet! Longest perimenopause ever!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Was all set to see my new OBG tomorrow and what do you think happened? After nine months of no period...you guessed it. Rescheduled for two weeks. So pissed this thing isn't over yet! Longest perimenopause ever!
UGH, sorry about that!

Do continue to keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness