U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM

13,884 posts, read 13,552,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Some people in AA would try and say that if you're still "picky" about recovery programs, you're not really "ready" to quit drinking.
I just saw that your thread about recovery from alcoholism is closed and I didn't get a chance to respond. You mentioned that your friend might benefit from other programs besides AA. I still stand by my belief that AA, while a very beneficial program, doesn't work for everyone and that there are other programs that might benefit their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM

13,884 posts, read 13,552,692 times
Quote:
What is it that makes some alcoholics willing to admit and accept that they have a problem and get help, while other alcoholics live and eventually die in denial?
The following thread might help; there's a lot of interesting information on it. Good luck with your friend. (FWIW, I don't happen to agree with those who say that the person must be completely ready to quit.) interventions

Old 06-14-2012, 05:38 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,976,134 times
Quote:
What is it that makes some alcoholics willing to admit and accept that they have a problem and get help, while other alcoholics live and eventually die in denial?
Alcoholism is a two-fold illness:

1.) A physical allergy to alcohol, that occurs in the alcoholic and manifests itself via the phenomena of craving. Unlike non-alcoholics, when an alcoholic drinks alcohol he sets in motion the craving cycle which only stops when the desire to drink more booze stops for that particular day. One day he/she may only drink a martini or two, yet on another day he/she wakes up in a drunken stupor in jail, or wrapped around a telephone pole wondering how the hell this happened. It may not always be that severe but it is like Russian Roulette, sooner or later you will fire the chamber that contains the live round.

2.) The other part of the illness is the mental obsession and buried in this myriad of complications you will find the ailment of DENIAL. Denial is a tricky little monster. It is the program in alcoholic brains, like a computer virus, that sends harmful data to the thinking part of your logic center that tells you "You don't have a drinking problem, you are just fine !" Problem is, it is a lie. That is why the alcoholic is unable to see the truth in the matter of drink. It defies logic to the point of insane thinking.

Now the dirty little secret about this predicament is that the longer an alcoholic consumes alcohol, the more entrenched the denial becomes, and the less and less the alcoholic is able to see the truth about his condition - so he/she lives on and gets sicker and sicker by journeying through all three stages of the illness before dying by going nuts or killing him/herself along the way. I would not wish 3rd stage alcoholism on even my worst enemy, it is a horrible sight and I have witnessed it quite a few times.

IMHO, anyone who can have the moment of clarity and see that alcohol is their problem and put forth the effort necessary to recover is simply a walking miracle. For me, the easier, softer way was the 12 Steps, and I'm big on doing things the easy way whenever possible. Sure there are other programs out there, but for me they look awful complicated and hard - but if they work for someone else, I am happy for them.

Last edited by Pawporri; 06-14-2012 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,751,148 times
When an alcoholic gets sick of being sick and falls to their knees they will seek recovery. Some never hit their bottom, others find recovery for a period of time and less than 10% remain sober for life. This is a disease that has no cure, it is just a matter of whether they are sober and working a strong recovery program, or not, that's it.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Its like drug addiction from waht i learned i a study I read. it bascially said something has to happen which shocks the person in to belief or they have to get sick and tired of being sick and tried.Even then they can relapse once over it. I had sveral frinds who werenot b what i would call bad alcoholics but drnak everyday. All had a incident that made them relaise they were addicted and they stopped cold turkey and never drank agian. One when from drugs to alcohol to sugar in soft drinks with real weight gain to not doing any of these.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM

729 posts, read 1,378,146 times
So...I take it alcoholics never get tired of hangovers every week?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 AM

58 posts, read 172,092 times
The only time someone can get help and successfully work through addiction is to truly want it. They need to know they have something worth fighting for, and people who will fight for them. Most of all, they have to want it. They have to change, noone can make them change. They have to see that they need help.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,503,244 times
I think the ones that die in denial just realize the futility of it all, they're realists. I've been to AA and have ended up leaving the meeting and getting drunk with some of them. Luckily, I have a built in mechanism to cope, it just wreaks holy heck on my stomach, GERD-like symptoms. If someone really armtwists me like on New Years Eve, I might partake, a once a year event if that.

I can't stand being around drunks, it's like stepping outside and witnessing myself 5-10 years ago.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I think the ones that die in denial just realize the futility of it all, they're realists. I've been to AA and have ended up leaving the meeting and getting drunk with some of them. Luckily, I have a built in mechanism to cope, it just wreaks holy heck on my stomach, GERD-like symptoms. If someone really armtwists me like on New Years Eve, I might partake, a once a year event if that.

I can't stand being around drunks, it's like stepping outside and witnessing myself 5-10 years ago.
You have defined yourself as a "Hard Drinker" not an alcoholic. I am happy for you.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
So...I take it alcoholics never get tired of hangovers every week?
Hangover remedy is very easy to come by. It's called a "Bloody Mary." Or "The tail of the dog that bit you !"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness