U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times

Advertisements

I've gone through numerous threads on CD but haven't seen too much about rosacea. After suspecting I had it for the past couple of years I was finally diagnosed as having it. Well, my family doc originally gave me doxycycline. I've been on it for 3 months with no change. I recently went to a dermatologist and he gave me prescriptions for Metronidazole Topical Cream, clindamycin phosphate topical gel and clobetasol propionate topical solution. The last is for my scalp. He didn't really tell me what to do with these formulas. I see that on the internet that there may be a connection between rosacea and demodex.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone have this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've gone through numerous threads on CD but haven't seen too much about rosacea. After suspecting I had it for the past couple of years I was finally diagnosed as having it. Well, my family doc originally gave me doxycycline. I've been on it for 3 months with no change. I recently went to a dermatologist and he gave me prescriptions for Metronidazole Topical Cream, clindamycin phosphate topical gel and clobetasol propionate topical solution. The last is for my scalp. He didn't really tell me what to do with these formulas. I see that on the internet that there may be a connection between rosacea and demodex.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone have this?
I have rosacea too!

I can understand the doc giving you the doxycycline, as Tetracycline is a very popular antibiotic for treating dermatology issues.

I can't say I'd agree you should stay on it much longer though, especially since you aren't seeing any results from using it. Long term use of antibiotics has lots of potentially serious consequences. I'd only stay on an antibiotic longer than a month if my life truly depended on it. But that's just me

In addition, as far as I know Clindamycin is more for acne - do you have that too?

What I have truly found works best for my rosacea is this -

1. avoiding spicy foods
2. the way I clean/wash my face
(no hot water, alternate use of Dove Sensitive and Purpose)
3. Metrol lotion once a day -

Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Yes, I have the sores that look like acne but don't go away. I checked Web MD last night and they showed lots of pics of rosacea patients and their improvement after being on antibiotics for 16 weeks. My doc wants me to stay on a low-dose for awhile. I'm surprised your doc didn't prescribe that for you but if you don't have the rosacea acne you wouldn't need it.

I don't have a spicy food trigger. In fact I have no trigger, just rosacea all the time for a couple of years at least. Probably more.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM

233 posts, read 644,921 times
My face gets super red now when I eat spicy food.

It is weird to me bc rosacea seems to be increasing in "popularity" I suspect that it has something to do with modern living.

I notice alcohol makes my face red too if I drink a lot.
Also stress and no sleep.
when I sleep and exercise and eat well, I am okay no problem.

I have not taken antibiotics, my scalp does itch too...

Vinegar helps honestly. I try to stay all natural.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, I have the sores that look like acne but don't go away. I checked Web MD last night and they showed lots of pics of rosacea patients and their improvement after being on antibiotics for 16 weeks. My doc wants me to stay on a low-dose for awhile. I'm surprised your doc didn't prescribe that for you but if you don't have the rosacea acne you wouldn't need it.

I don't have a spicy food trigger. In fact I have no trigger, just rosacea all the time for a couple of years at least. Probably more.

Thanks for the input!
ugh, a double whammy, rosacea and adult acne

I've had the rosacea for so long I may have just forgotten that in the beginning years ago my doc put me on an antibiotic, lol.

What are you using to wash your face with?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
My face gets super red now when I eat spicy food.

It is weird to me bc rosacea seems to be increasing in "popularity" I suspect that it has something to do with modern living.

I notice alcohol makes my face red too if I drink a lot.
Also stress and no sleep.
when I sleep and exercise and eat well, I am okay no problem.

I have not taken antibiotics, my scalp does itch too...

Vinegar helps honestly. I try to stay all natural.

Yeah, should have mentioned that - wine can make mine redder too.

Of course, that doesn't mean I've given it up, lol.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
ugh, a double whammy, rosacea and adult acne

I've had the rosacea for so long I may have just forgotten that in the beginning years ago my doc put me on an antibiotic, lol.

What are you using to wash your face with?
Not adult acne. It's part of the rosacea. You don't have to have it, not everyone with rosacea gets it but it is often one of the symptoms.

Rosacea - PubMed Health

Acne-like skin eruptions (may ooze or crust)

I even have the rosacea of the eyes.

To that other poster, no it is not gaining in popularity. It is not just simply getting a red face from spicy food or working out. Far more to it than that. And I live and eat healthy. I'm not some kid out partying. I even try to eat as organically as possible.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I was diagnosed maybe 15 yrs ago. I just have the red splotches. I use either Cetaphil or Olay soap with cool water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I was diagnosed maybe 15 yrs ago. I just have the red splotches. I use either Cetaphil or Olay soap with cool water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Been using Oil of Olay night cream for years - love that stuff

Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM

660 posts, read 2,417,813 times
Ok, this is a little embarrassing, but I have found that using 40% zinc oxide diaper rash cream (yep, diaper rash cream ) helps so much with my acne rosacea (I only have it on my chin). I put it on at night before bed, and when I wake up the sores are so much smaller and less red. If is skip a night I sure notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness