U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM

530 posts, read 959,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've had dizziness for 7 years nonstop alld ay ever day.. Yes thats right non stop so I have sympathy for your wife (albeit I might be slightly jealous she on gets it for periods of time) . I've been through all the hoops and rings to try and make this go away, nothing. Dramamine can work for short periods of time but the ONLY drug I ever found to make it go away is Prednisone when I was at my most severe. They thought I was having a stroke it was so bad I couldn't speak right, was confused and my pupils were different shapes.
My understanding is that prednisone affects the adrenal gland and the body's response to insulin. Problems with the adrenal gland can cause dizziness, as can insulin problems. Maybe you should ask your doctor for a cortisol blood test and blood glucose test.

To the OP, there is a big difference between vertigo (spinning) and dizziness, which can cause lightheadedness and strange sensations like you are walking above your body or shrinking inside your body (for lack of a better description!). If your wife actually has dizziness rather than vertigo (or has both) the doctors may be partially barking up the wrong tree. Your second description of her symptoms makes it sound like she may be having some problems with dizziness. If that is the case, I would think her endocrine system should be investigated since many endocrine problems cause dizziness. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 AM

667 posts, read 880,298 times
One morning last July 2011 I awoke and sat up in bed. I felt like I was wobbling and weaving and had to hold on to the bed. After a few moments the spinning stopped. I got up, got dressed and went to work. When I bent down or looked up I got so dizzy I had to hang on to something. I also had nausea. I thought What is going on? Something isn't right.

I left work and went to the doctor. The nurse had me lay down. She then told me to get up quickly and stand up. When I did I almost knocked the poor girl down. LOL. She said "You definitely have Vertigo."

The doctor explained about the crystal-like things in our ears that become detached, floating around causing us imbalance. He told me to get some motion sickness pills and sent me home telling me not to drive or go to work for a week then come see him again.

I began taking the pills. My nausea went away but my head would still spin when I laid down, got up, looked up or got up from a sleeping position.

Not knowing a thing about Vertigo (I thought it was just the name of a movie) I began searching on the internet.

By this time I'd narrowed it down to it being just my right ear causing the problems. Probably stemming from my allergies.

I have developed allergies in the last 3 years. Never had allergy's before but the Doc said you can get them when you're older.

I began doing the exercises to get your floating crystals to attach again. It got better, the spinning doesn't last as long but I still have it just the same.

I found this on the internet:
http://www.dizzyfix.com/dizzyfix]DizzyFIX: A natural treatment for vertigo and dizziness. Remedies BPPV. | Clearwater Clinica
l

I haven't tried it. I'm just getting so tired of the spinning. It's a real nuisance.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM

14,656 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Has she tried a chiropractor? I have mild dizziness episodes from BPPV. But I have had some dizziness off and on my whole life. Your wife sounds a bit like me, with the same triggers. My new chiropractor is helping with a lot of my back issues, so hopefully some other things get straightened out as well.

I think my dizziness is a combination of the "loose ear rocks" and some insulin issues. I recently quit caffeine and that has helped a lot. Also changed my diet to eat more protein and less carbs. I think more than one thing can contribute to our problems.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,464,757 times
I'm thinking the OP's spouse has Menier's disease like the other poster pointed out.

I too have Menier's disease which has caused me to apply for disability due to the unrelenting vertigo issues that I experience.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm thinking the OP's spouse has Menier's disease like the other poster pointed out.

I too have Menier's disease which has caused me to apply for disability due to the unrelenting vertigo issues that I experience.
I have it too. Are you on a low salt diet?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
I feel for your wife.
Im 48 and have had debilitating dizziness for 9years now and it is NON stop. All day, every day for 9 years. i have had no answers from doctors. All they seem to want do is check my ears even though they'd been checked already. i also have terrible nausea most days and its only getting worse as time goes on. It seems my eyes are affected as well as my sight went downhill soon after this happened....also reading and trying to do ANYthing on the computer seem to aggravate the condition. It seems the more i try to do the worse i feel. I WOULD say the worst part about this is not knowing what's wrong with me...but to be honest, the worst part is having to live with it every day and no longer knowing what 'normal' feels like. Its ruined my life and i don't even know what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness