U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM

2,506 posts, read 4,890,348 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating taking birth control for the first time. I'm 23 and have not yet taken it. Anyways, I went to the obgyn and she suggested Beyaz, I researched however and saw that it had mixed reviews.

I have always liked things to be "au naturel" and I know it's superficial, but I am really afraid of altering hormones, missing my periods, and gaining weight/nausea. I am pretty healthy and really would rather use a condom then risk my body changing over the next several weeks.

Suggestions?

Ladies, if any of you have ever taken Beyaz, please help a sista out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
If you are uncomfortable being on birth control pills then I would stick with the current method you are using especially if you aren't in a long term relationship.

Personally I haven't used Beyaz. I've been on LoSeasonique for the past few years and really like it, periods 4 times a year works for me. I've never had side effects from BC Pills, been on them for over 20 years so I've tried a few different ones. I like the ease of them and always knowing when I'll get my period.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you are uncomfortable being on birth control pills then I would stick with the current method you are using especially if you aren't in a long term relationship.

Personally I haven't used Beyaz. I've been on LoSeasonique for the past few years and really like it, periods 4 times a year works for me. I've never had side effects from BC Pills, been on them for over 20 years so I've tried a few different ones. I like the ease of them and always knowing when I'll get my period.
And what if I am in one? Would you recommend it then?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
If you are in one then it still comes down to what you feel comfortable doing for your body.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
If you are in one then it still comes down to what you feel comfortable doing for your body.
I've always been really against hormonal birth control. But I've always been that way about pills and such, since I've never ever taken BC I don't want to start now. But I am afraid of getting pregnant too it's just a catch 22. I don't want to take the pills, I figure when something happens, I'll just take Plan B but I hear that's kind of like an "abortifacent" and I don't know if it's better to take that after sex or just take the BC pills. I'm leaning more towards Plan B though..

Thoughts?

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 11-21-2011 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,971,597 times
millions of women use birth control with no ill effects. lots of things are natural, like underarm hair but doesn't mean it's the way to go. we add things to our water and our food supply, we wear make up and dye our hair. if you are sure you don't want to get pregnant take the pill. taking plan B is not something you can always count on especially if you don't think you might be pregnant. condoms diaphragms and abstaining while fertile is only for the most dedicated and the reason why alot of children were born before the pill.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:49 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Plan B is not as effective as the pill. It can also cause plenty of side effects.

There are lots of different birth control pills. Your doc probably prescribes whatever is popular now, or whatever most of her patients seem to prefer. If it causes any side effects that you can't live with, you can always switch to a different pill until you find the one that works for you.

The good thing about taking the pill vs using condoms is that it's something that you control. You don't have to worry about your partner using it right or it breaking or slipping...as long as you take your pill every day, you know you're protected.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM

13,879 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I researched however and saw that it had mixed reviews.
I think all birth control pills will state warnings. My daughter is near your age and takes Yaz. She's been told that it's had negative side effects also but she hasn't experienced them. In her case, that particular brand is supposed to help with PMDD also. Birth control pills today contain far fewer hormones than when they originally came out.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think all birth control pills will state warnings. My daughter is near your age and takes Yaz. She's been told that it's had negative side effects also but she hasn't experienced them. In her case, that particular brand is supposed to help with PMDD also. Birth control pills today contain far fewer hormones than when they originally came out.
I sincerely hope that your daughter will always be well but just because she is not experiencing overt / noticeable side effects on Yaz does not mean that those "far fewer hormones" are doing no harm. Interfering with hormones / hormonal imbalance is, imo, very unwise.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 5,757,800 times
I am HIGHLY against birth control. I find it to be nasty and horrible on the body. My gf had a stroke at 22 from her bc (Yaz) She then changed to the ring one (I forgot what its called) in which we had to call an ambulance for her because she passed out 3 days after it being inserted and started foaming at the mouth, they took it out and she never had another issue. I ended up with lifelong heart problems from mine. Not to mention I gained 23 lbs the first MONTH I was on it (Lunel). My boobs went from a 36 B to 48 D in that month too. I had stretch marks so bad they looked like someone had just smeared blood colored lines on them from almost my arm pits to nipples. One month later that birth control was recalled. I now have heart palpitations , racing heart and pounding from that lovely experiment and went from a very active softball and volleyball player to not being able to walk up stairs sometime,. IMO condoms work just fine and are a much safer option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness