U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times

Advertisements

I have almost always had a cat. I eat red meat and do not like it well done.

There is an article that I read a while back about toxoplasmosis. It is an parasite (the one that they warn pregnant women of) that is transferred to humans through unsanitary handling of kitty litter and through not thoroughly cooked red meat.

It lodges within the brain.
It is/was generally thought to be benign.
There is recent evidence that it causes risky behavior AND slows reaction time. There were tests of people involved in traffic accidents and they had this parasite in their brains way higher than does the population at large.
A researcher said that beef stored in the freezer would have to be stored there for about six months to kill it that way.

I am careful with the kitty litter. l probably will eat a LOT less beef because I hate it when it is tough and dried out. I will probably get tested and treated for this.

It just seems as though there are more and more reasons to avoid red meat. I was born in Nebraska and raised on the stuff. I thrived under the Atkins diet. No more.

This is just a warning to people because I know the cat litter problem and pregnant women got a lot of press but I do not think the red meat situation did.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 PM

15,144 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Yes, cats USE this toxin to make idiotic humans more compliant with their commands.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 AM

It must be hard to go through life taking shots at folks you've never even met with statements that make no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-25-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Toxoplasmosis is transmitted to humans most commonly from cat feces. IN SOME COUNTRIES where eating undercooked PORK, VENISON, and LAMB is common, then yes, there is an indication of high risk of toxoplasmosis in those countries.

Toxoplasmosis transmitted by eating beef in the USA, is extremely rare, whether cooked or undercooked. In other words, the risks by eating uncooked/undercooked beef, generally do -not- include the risk of getting toxoplasmosis.

Also, the schizophrenia you mention is a POSSIBLE risk factor, IF you are actually infected with toxoplasmosis (which would be rare in the USA, unless you regularly eat raw pork, venison, or lamb). Toxoplasmosis does not commonly have any symptoms beyond the feverish flu-like symptoms, which generally go away on their own UNLESS you have a compromised immune system (pregnant, have AIDS, etc). If you are a healthy adult, it isn't likely you'd notice any symptoms at all, OR you might think you have a mild flu.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
goldengrain...you were raised on beef and thrive on the atkins diet...all that time....you gonna let one little article scare you off of what's proved to be nothing but good for you???

Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Toxoplasmosis is transmitted to humans most commonly from cat feces. IN SOME COUNTRIES where eating undercooked PORK, VENISON, and LAMB is common, then yes, there is an indication of high risk of toxoplasmosis in those countries.

Toxoplasmosis transmitted by eating beef in the USA, is extremely rare, whether cooked or undercooked. In other words, the risks by eating uncooked/undercooked beef, generally do -not- include the risk of getting toxoplasmosis.

Also, the schizophrenia you mention is a POSSIBLE risk factor, IF you are actually infected with toxoplasmosis (which would be rare in the USA, unless you regularly eat raw pork, venison, or lamb). Toxoplasmosis does not commonly have any symptoms beyond the feverish flu-like symptoms, which generally go away on their own UNLESS you have a compromised immune system (pregnant, have AIDS, etc). If you are a healthy adult, it isn't likely you'd notice any symptoms at all, OR you might think you have a mild flu.
It IS transmitted by undercooked red meat. Other meats eaten in the US tend to be well done. The RECENT studies point to increased risk taking.
Common Parasite Can Change Behavior in Humans: Viewzone

Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
goldengrain...you were raised on beef and thrive on the atkins diet...all that time....you gonna let one little article scare you off of what's proved to be nothing but good for you???
No. I spoke to a parasitologist from Scotland who works for the Royal Academy of Tropical Medicine.

He tested positive for the organism and was treated for it. His wife noticed a change in his personality, although he did not. His wife is no dummy. The thing that really got my attention was the fact that a disproportionate number of people who are positive for the organism were found in those involved in traffic accidents. That, to me, is practical, real world stuff.

People CAN have well done beef, you know.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
See here:

Parasites and Foodborne Illness

Toxoplasmosis - PubMed Health

If you use a meat thermometer, it is not necessary to turn your steak into leather.

The minimum temperature to kill toxoplasma is 145 degrees F. That is eqivalent to medium to medium well done beef.

Meat Temperature Chart

Poultry, lamb, and pork should be cooked to 165 degrees F.

Toxo is also killed by freezing meat at -4 degrees F for two days.

Pregnant women and those with immune suppression want to be especially careful. Letting someone else deal with the cat litter box is a good idea. Cleaning the box daily is advised in order to reduce the chance for infective cysts of the toxo organisms to be present. Cats who are always kept indoors would not be exposed.

Your vet can check the cats for evidence of previous toxo infection. If the cat tests positive, it has already recovered and wil not be infectious as prior infection confers immunity.

You may also be exposed to toxo by working in your yard or garden if there are infected cats around.

This study is from 2005 and it found the rate of contamination of meat from grocery stores to be pretty low.

http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10...ND43769915.pdf

Healthy people who get toxo usually recover with no long term adverse effects. Infants infected before birth and anyone with an immune deficiency are high risk, however.

The connection between toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia is cicumsantial but a possiblilty:

Toxoplasma and schizophrenia - YOLKEN - 2009 - Parasite Immunology - Wiley Online Library

Don't forget to wash your hands after you play in the dirt or pet the cat.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
Goldengrain: Have you ever been tested for toxoplasma gondii antibodies? About 1 in 10 Americans will test positive. You have a lot of risk factors.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Goldengrain: Have you ever been tested for toxoplasma gondii antibodies? About 1 in 10 Americans will test positive. You have a lot of risk factors.
I read that it was twenty to thirty percent of the population.
No, I have not been tested, but
yes, I intend to be.

Thank you for your concern.

There is a clinical trial going on that I know of which addresses parasites in general. It seems that Western medicine never dealt adequately with parasites, one reason was that many were thought not to be harmful and the other because there was not so much of a shift of population between countries as there is now.

I was surprised to hear that most travel medicine physicians give inoculation depending on the countries you are visiting, but are not terribly skilled in treating you for the organisms that you could contract there.

The clinical trial, when done and they publish, should start training doctors and technicians in the US on a regional basis in how to detect and treat these organisms.

Hitherto, it is very difficult in this country to get, even, an accurate diagnosis.

These things may not be that prevalent, but to the person that has them, it is VERY serious and frustrating not to be able to get resources to treat you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness