U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,945,285 times

Advertisements

Didn't we all suspect this would happen?

Two studies, published in JAMA, claiming that too little salt may be as damaging as too much:

Cutting Back on Salt: How Low Is Too Low? - - TIME Healthland

I remember my stepfather, being on a very restricted diet, avoiding even celery and tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,263,826 times
Maintain normal weightl, eat real food and exercise and you won't need to worry about crap like this.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maintain normal weightl, eat real food and exercise and you won't need to worry about crap like this.
Cava, we all age and not everyone has your exquisite genes.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:31 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
True. Low salt diets are HARD, I know, I am on one.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM

I once read advice that I ended up following later in life.
My doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure meds and a low salt diet.
I asked him if I could go on a salt free diet for a month to see if I were one of the salt sensitive persons. He agreed.
I went on a totally low salt diet. No canned foods, no condiments containing salt, even no frozen vegetables if salt were used in their processing. No seafood, celery, or tomatoes. I pretty much lived on chicken and bland rice and broccoli for a month. At the end of the month there was no change in my blood pressure.

The point is, I would have spent the rest of my life on a low salt diet for naught if I had followed his first advice.

I don't think doctors have a clue of what they request of us when they so readily make these suggestions of lifetime deprivation.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Quote:
All the more reason, then, to maintain normal weight, eat real food and exercise. If you have inferior genes, how is it to your advantage then to abuse your body?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All the more reason, then, to maintain normal weight, eat real food and exercise. If you have inferior genes, how is it to your advantage then to abuse your body?
Your post said if you eat well you won't have to worry about ''crap'' - your word, like this.

I do not think I am talking ''crap'' here and for some people, no matter how well they eat and exercise they are genetically predisposed to certain health problems.

Nobody spoke of abusing one's body but you.

Why are you so hostile?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM

233 posts, read 645,388 times
Quote:
I once read advice that I ended up following later in life.
My doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure meds and a low salt diet.
I asked him if I could go on a salt free diet for a month to see if I were one of the salt sensitive persons. He agreed.
I went on a totally low salt diet. No canned foods, no condiments containing salt, even no frozen vegetables if salt were used in their processing. No seafood, celery, or tomatoes. I pretty much lived on chicken and bland rice and broccoli for a month. At the end of the month there was no change in my blood pressure.

The point is, I would have spent the rest of my life on a low salt diet for naught if I had followed his first advice.

I don't think doctors have a clue of what they request of us when they so readily make these suggestions of lifetime deprivation.
IUNO man..to be fair this reminded me of the person who wants to lose weight...

exercises for one month and sees little to no progress and gives up saying

"wow, well im glad i did not waste the rest of my life exercising...it just doesnt work for me...some people are just naturally fat - like me!"

I do not have perfect genes and I do not condone a super low sodium diet...but here why dont you try this?

try to eat approximately 10x the amount of salt you needed, why not go with 50 or even 100 just go crazy..if you went no salt for one month...why not go infinite salt for one month and see if you have any change...

my guess? probably so..but how bout this...

how easy is it to become addicted to certain medications..less than one month...versus how long does it take to get off of certain medications? some people never succeed...

my point is this...high salt is bad....low salt is bad..... just dont go crazy...exercise...eat what you know is good for you, splurge ONE day of the week on anything you want...and everything should be good..eliminating celery and tomatoes is crazy because tomatoes are good for you and celery is said to use up more calories than you actually take in...

or someone who would rather eat nutella over fruit because the fruit has less sugar...?!!?!

ya get my point...
Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-06-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
The key phrase in the OP's link is this:

"Participants in the study . . . consumed on average 4,800 mg a day. . . . Of course, the average American is probably eating too much salt."

Which suggests that people who pay no attention to their salt intake and unquestioningly accept the typical diet, are getting more than the safe intake of salt.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-06-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Please do not think that I am advocating anything here. I am just imparting information and calling people's attention to the fact that there are differing viewpoints as to the amount of salt that is acceptable in the diet.

It is not a secret that about 50% of the population is non responsive to salt, meaning if they are put on a low salt diet their blood pressure will see no advantageous change from it - yet doctors do not often check for this and usually put people on a salt restricted diet without looking for these individual differences.

I used to wonder about these populations in the Mediterranean who have fewer heart problems. Some of these cultures salt a lot of their foods/fish and eat sausages, etc. Perhaps this information is part of the reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness