U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM

10,150 posts, read 13,844,113 times

Advertisements

This happened a couple year ago, and my Aunt can not remember the name of her condition. She clearly knows it was contageous. Her husband was in the hospital and he called his wife and got no answer. The neighbor went over and found her lying on the floor. She said that when she woke up, all the nurses were looking at her and said "well, hello there."
She was told by the doctors that what she had was contageous.
It affected part of her brain that deals with memory. It was not a stroke.
She think she caught "it" when visiting her husband in the care facility.
It's not contageous now and the doctors said her memory will slowly come back. The last 4 times I have visited her, she is very competent to hear and understand everything you say, and to reply back. Sometimes, with a name she has to think for a few seconds and she gets it or has to be told the name. She is age 91.

Anyone aware of a contageous condition that could cause minor memory loss, and the contageous part of it is cured?
She says she has the name of the condition written down, but can not find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
I think she misunderstood what her doctor said.

There is a condition called TIA, which is short for Transient Ischemic Attack, in which parts of the brain just seem to shut down for a while. That might be what she had. But it is NOT contagious.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

There is a condition called TIA, which is short for Transient Ischemic Attack, in which parts of the brain just seem to shut down for a while. That might be what she had. But it is NOT contagious.

Transient Ischemic Attack

I'll give her the name of the above condition, and see if that jogs her memory.

............very possible, but her daughter would have been there, and should have fully understood what happened to her 90 year old Mother.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM

5,843 posts, read 8,429,491 times
I believe Bacterial Meningitis can cause this and is contagious, thru kissing or droplet infection. High doses of antibiotics specific to this disease are needed and possibly some therapy after its resolved, to get back the skills that were lost.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
I've heard of people having a problem like this when they were on statin drugs but of course that's not contagious. I'd vote for the TIA theory as well.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I believe Bacterial Meningitis can cause this and is contagious, thru kissing or droplet infection. High doses of antibiotics specific to this disease are needed and possibly some therapy after its resolved, to get back the skills that were lost.
I had not thought about this. Very possible. After the original infection was cured, she would no longer be contagious.

Did she say anything about taking antibiotics?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I found out today, that bacterial meningitis was it.
Also, she was age 88 when she had it, and it affected her memory.
Some of that memory ability was said, by the doctor, to be temporary.
The person who told me the name of the illness, talked like it could cause death too, and at age 88, she was lucky to still be here (now 91)

I'd have to do some research, to see if it can be fatal.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,206,509 times
Yes - meningitis - if not caught and treated can be fatal.

Every year there are a few people (college campuses are a big one) that die from an undiagnosed case.

However - its not something that recurrs chronically, so if they treated her, she doesn't have it anymore. Just the damage it caused that she is still recovering from.

Hey -at 91 - that's a strong lady!!!

best wishes to you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness