U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM

575 posts, read 848,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How do you get rid of sinus problems, or do you just live with it?

I've had chronic sinus infections for years. I go to the doc, get antibiotics, clears it up, then, comes back later.

I really don't want to live on antibiotics, it could cause more problems. I don't really think I have an infection now, just congestion, if that makes sense?

Ok, if you don't want to hear the gross details, stop now!

Now, for the rest of you, here goes:

I have chronic congestion in my nose. it varies from clear to yellow to green. It drains down my throat and I feel like I am eating it. My ears plug, but usually "pop" in a few minutes. Its especially bad when I wake up, nose is so clogged.

I take pseudaphed and mucinex daily. a pharmacist told me I might need to take it every day for 2-4 weeks to see desired effects. also, I use a netti pot 2-4x daily. It has been getting better, but still bothers me. I found drinking hot fluids helps a lot. If I drink anything cold, I clog up immediately. I've been drinking a lot of hot apple cider, hot tea, etc. Also, if I use a netti pot right before I shower, a ton of stuff comes out in the shower!

So, well.....anything else? does this "snot problem" ever go away? Or do you just manage it?
Been to an ENT or Allergy Dr. lately? Making an appointment would be the first thing I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM

3,043 posts, read 2,882,659 times
I too suffered from chronic sinusitis all of my life until one year ago. I have been through sinus surgery, allergy shots, every cortisone based nasal prescription availalbe, antibiotics, all to no avail. One year ago I went to a new allergist who informed me that, although I do have allergies, my allergies are not the cause of my sinusitis. He diagnosed vasomotor rhinitis -- my sinuses react to changes in weather -SEVERELY. He prescribed a daily sinus rinse with a BOTTLE sinus rinse (not the Netti pot) because the bottle allows more pressure when shooting the saline solution up your nose. In addition, he prescribed
Budesonide Inhalation Suspension that I add to the saline solution in my nasal rinse bottle. Budesonide is usually prescribed to be inhaled for folks with COPD and severe asthma. Rather than inhaling it, I rinse my sinuses with it mixed in my saline solution. It has changed my life. I seldom need anything else, have not had a cold or sinus infection in over a year, no more post nasal drip- nothing. On rare occasions I supplement that with Astepro nasal spray but that is seldom needed. Very few ENTs or allergists have heard of using budesonide in a nasal rinse and most say they don't know why it would be more effective than a cortisoid nasal spray but for me it has been the cure. I do the sinus rinse religously, once a day, twice a day if I begin having any symptoms. It works.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM

575 posts, read 848,634 times
Just to compare notes, do you rinse with heavily boiled or distilled water..I hope? Saw an allergist yesterday, did the skin testing, of course recommended starting shots for the next 3-5 years (No Thanks) and make sure I use distilled water as tap water could have certain bacteria that could cause serious problems in your sinuses. Who has 3-5 years to devote to seeing a Dr. on a regular basis with about an 80% chance it may work? Also, be sure to get a mattress cover for dust mites as well as your pillows....Very important as this can be the leading cause of nasal problems indoors.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,444 times
Inhalations help, especially eucalyptus oil!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Thanks for all the great advice!

I have doubled the mucinex, along with taking pseudaphed and lots of water, hot tea, etc. and my trusty netti pot. Yes, I use distilled water and MV it first, then let it cool down.

I'm feeling much better today, but still have problems. i will try the probiotics and ecultpys oil. Also, I did a thorough clean of the house, vacumn, etc, will look for new mattress covers.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I bought new air filters today. Boy were the old one's dirty and probably past the 3 month replacement recommendation. If you haven't done this recently it maybe part of the problem too. I use the Filtrete 1200 which filters almost all pollens but the filter isn't cheap. I've compared the 1200 to 800 and 1200 definitely looks dirtier at the end of it's life; I figure its worth the extra money.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Agree with the other poster. The sinus rinse bottle is way ahead of the pot.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,028,290 times
I was in the same situation, getting sinus infections every six weeks or so and I finally saw an ENT in January and had surgery. It turns out I have severe allergies, polyps were all over the place, and my sinuses were a lot smaller than they should be.

He went in, cleaned everything out, and opened up the sinuses. I have never felt better and have not had a sinus infection since. I take one Zyrtec a day, every day. Feel great.

Good luck. I know how miserable that is.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Just to compare notes, do you rinse with heavily boiled or distilled water..I hope? Saw an allergist yesterday, did the skin testing, of course recommended starting shots for the next 3-5 years (No Thanks) and make sure I use distilled water as tap water could have certain bacteria that could cause serious problems in your sinuses. Who has 3-5 years to devote to seeing a Dr. on a regular basis with about an 80% chance it may work? Also, be sure to get a mattress cover for dust mites as well as your pillows....Very important as this can be the leading cause of nasal problems indoors.

Very good advice

Yes, I use distilled water, but good to mention it. I read about someone who used tap water in a netti pot and died from a brain infection. this was just recently, a few months ago, in LA.

Also, a new set of pillows would make a great Christmas gift!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Been to an ENT or Allergy Dr. lately? Making an appointment would be the first thing I would do.

I'd see an allergist ASAP. If you find out what you are allergic to you can avoid it. And if you can't avoid it there are things to help you de-sensitize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness