U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
 
15,732 posts, read 17,311,759 times
Reputation: 12729

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
GPs counsel patients every day to lose weight, stop smoking and cut back on drinking. They don't. What's your suggestion? Continue counseling until they have a heart attack? Then no one will argue meds with the doctor.

People are lazy. Don't blame your doctor.
You are so right!

I know so many people that are on meds because they are too lazy to make the necessary lifestyle changes that are recommended. It's easier to pop a pill and that drives me absolutely BONKERS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
Reputation: 47456
i am not on meds but 1/2 of the posters on CDF think i am, the other 1/2 wish i was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
156 posts, read 607,225 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
You are so right!

I know so many people that are on meds because they are too lazy to make the necessary lifestyle changes that are recommended. It's easier to pop a pill and that drives me absolutely BONKERS!
I want to be clear that there are many, many people that look "lazy" but have serious underlying disorders that may it difficult for them to look anything but "lazy". I am sorry I didn't add this to my last post.


Losing weight is not easy and it takes time. If a medication is one part of the pt's overall plan, then there is nothing wrong with that.

Be glad you're not in their shoes and don't worry about it too much. It doesn't really affect you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
 
10,875 posts, read 41,210,243 times
Reputation: 14030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
Nothing. People who think this are incredibly misguided. As a physician, this is a problem I deal with every day. Too many people are afraid to take medication because they listen to the droves of misguided people.
Glad you're not my doc ...

Mine are on the same page with me about not wanting to start prescription meds unless they are the only means of dealing with a situation that presents.

So far, at well past 60 years old, I'm not on any meds ... prescription or over the counter ... and plan on staying that way for as long as possible.

I've found the diet that works for me to keep my weight and body chemistry (cholesterol, tri's, HDL, LDL, liver functions, thyroid functions, etc) under control. Blood pressure consistently around 115-120 with 60 BPM and oxygen levels around 95% here at 7,000' elevation. Do 12 minutes Bruce Protocol stress echo, never am able to reach an 85% HR (cardio doc's are stunned that I'm not on beta blockers ... and I've been treated for IHSS), and my recovery time is about 1 minute from the exercise.

With yearly flight physicals, my doc's all marvel that I am not on any meds and am in as good a shape as I am. We joke about how I look forward to being a flying octogenarian in the not-so-far-distant future and that they will have to stay in practice until I quit flying ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
156 posts, read 607,225 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Glad you're not my doc ...

Mine are on the same page with me about not wanting to start prescription meds unless they are the only means of dealing with a situation that presents.

So far, at well past 60 years old, I'm not on any meds ... prescription or over the counter ... and plan on staying that way for as long as possible.

I've found the diet that works for me to keep my weight and body chemistry (cholesterol, tri's, HDL, LDL, liver functions, thyroid functions, etc) under control. Blood pressure consistently around 115-120 with 60 BPM and oxygen levels around 95% here at 7,000' elevation. Do 12 minutes Bruce Protocol stress echo, never am able to reach an 85% HR (cardio doc's are stunned that I'm not on beta blockers ... and I've been treated for IHSS), and my recovery time is about 1 minute from the exercise.

With yearly flight physicals, my doc's all marvel that I am not on any meds and am in as good a shape as I am. We joke about how I look forward to being a flying octogenarian in the not-so-far-distant future and that they will have to stay in practice until I quit flying ....
Congrats, you don't need meds. That doesn't mean other people are in the same situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
 
15,732 posts, read 17,311,759 times
Reputation: 12729
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
I want to be clear that there are many, many people that look "lazy" but have serious underlying disorders that may it difficult for them to look anything but "lazy". I am sorry I didn't add this to my last post.


Losing weight is not easy and it takes time. If a medication is one part of the pt's overall plan, then there is nothing wrong with that.

Be glad you're not in their shoes and don't worry about it too much. It doesn't really affect you.
Like I said, I know (as in personally) a lot of people that would rather pop a pill than make the necessary lifestyle changes.

And yes, it does effect me and I AM in "their" shoes.

Here's a little history:

I was diabetic with my last pregnancy. I was told at the end of that pregnancy that if I didn't lose weight, I'd likely wind up with type 2 in 5-10 yrs.

I lost 80lbs in 8 months after that last pregnancy because there was no way in hell I wanted to have type 2 diabetes for the rest of my life...I was only 30yrs old and I KNEW what I had to do for prevention. That was 7yrs ago.

2yrs ago I noticed my weight was creeping up (gained 20lbs), without having made any changes so I figured it was age kicking in and started keeping a food journal, upped the exercise...etc. The weight didn't budge and this sent me into a little panic.

Went to the doc, was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and put on thyroid meds. I'm not anti-medication but from what I understand, there is not much you can do naturally with Hashimoto's. I also had a goiter that was growing so that was the deciding factor for meds. That 20lbs came off pretty easily. I was still a few pounds overweight however (12lbs...the last of it from that pregnancy that I could never lose).

At my last physical my FBG was 105. It was suggested I lose 5-10% of my body weight (which is 7-15lbs). This was a month ago. My GP suggested I come back in 3 months, retest and if it didn't change she'd put me on Met. and she was sending that recommendation to my Endo.

I came home and immediately dusted my glucose monitor off (still have it) and got myself 2 vials of test strips and started checking FBG and postprandial numbers. FBG was running betweem 105-120 a few weeks ago, postprandial I was getting normal values.

I've since tweaked my diet a bit more and increased my exercise, lost 7lbs and because of that, the numbers are now in the low 90's to very low 100's. I'm hoping another 10lbs removed and continuing on the eating and exercise plan will get my numbers into the 80's in the next 2 months.

So yes, it does effect me. I'm just not interested in taking Met or insulin or poking myself 5 times a day unless absolutely necessary. And again, like I have said, I personally know people who have NOT made any lifestyle changes and just started taking medication because it was easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
 
10,875 posts, read 41,210,243 times
Reputation: 14030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
Congrats, you don't need meds. That doesn't mean other people are in the same situation.
True, but in my experience ...

many people wouldn't have the ailments they've got if they'd watch their diet/intake and adjust accordingly ... and

many of them can address their conditions and get off the meds by an appropriate diet.

I've seen diabetics (adult onset) get off of being insulin dependent by a change of diet.

As well, folks with kidney stones, high blood pressure, high cholesterol (esp, get off statins), and many other long term ailments kept under control by an appropriate diet and eliminating triggers for their condition ... junk food diets, smoking, alcohol intake, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 48,455,466 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephie View Post
Congrats, you don't need meds. That doesn't mean other people are in the same situation.
It's amazing that someone is looking down on others because they take medication. When you are out in public no one is walking around with a sign saying...."I TAKE MEDICATION"

So if someone is taking medication who cares? I don't think it's an award created for people who are not on medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,618 posts, read 31,198,912 times
Reputation: 26690
I recently went back on Solodyn, prescribed by my dermatologist to control breakouts...but until very recently, I was not on any regular medication at all. I'm supposed to be on some corticosteroid inhaler for my asthma, but of course I don't take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 37,884,390 times
Reputation: 61848
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Went for a routine dentist visit the other day at a new dentist and one of the questions of course that is asked is of course "Are you on any medications?" I said no, and the dental hygenist looked like she was astounded. What gives? I get this all of the time, whenever I have to go for a physical, drug test for a new job, etc. How many people here do not chronically take any medications at all?

I am 51 and was not on any medication at all until I turned about 45 which is about the same time I got glasses as well. My Mother is 71 and is not on any medication at all except for an occassional aspirin for sinus pain and headache. My brother who is 52 takes no medication.

I guess I was given the short medication straw, oh well, no biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top