Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
True, but in my experience ...

many people wouldn't have the ailments they've got if they'd watch their diet/intake and adjust accordingly ... and

many of them can address their conditions and get off the meds by an appropriate diet.

I've seen diabetics (adult onset) get off of being insulin dependent by a change of diet.

As well, folks with kidney stones, high blood pressure, high cholesterol (esp, get off statins), and many other long term ailments kept under control by an appropriate diet and eliminating triggers for their condition ... junk food diets, smoking, alcohol intake, etc.

How much experience do you have in my body, with my genetics and family history?

I eat healthy, walk on the treadmill 4 days a week for 20 minutes each day, have gone from 650 pounds + 14 years ago to 150 pounds without surgery, weight watchers, jenny craig or any of the other "diets", the last drink of alcohol I had was new years eve 2009 and have one vice which is nicotine. Even with all of this and a complete change of lifestyle 14 years ago I have been blessed with a Chronic Auto Immune Liver Disease that will more than likely cause me to have to have a liver transplant at some point to continue to live.

So please enlighten me further as to what I am doing 'wrong' besides the nicotine and I will possibly, maybe, think about considering following your advice even though you don't know me at all but somehow know how I should live my life much better than I and my physician know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times
I will be 50 this year, I am overweight, and very sedentary.

That said, my blood pressure is excellent, my blood sugar is good, and my doctor wants my cholesterol levels. I do not smoke, I drink rarely, and while my eating habits aren't the best, I have been a vegetarian since 1993.

The only med I currently take is "as needed" for migraines, and I haven't had to take that since I started acupuncture in October. I was taking it up to six times a month previously.

It can be done, life without meds. I don't know why that dental hygienist had that kind of reaction.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
This thread gives me a lot of gratitude. I am older than most posting here with no Rx. I almost had a Rx because my stupid MD took my blood pressure after I had been cooling my heels in his office for an hour and a half waiting for what they had said in a phone message was bad news from a blood test (wrong about that too). He measured 150/93 and wrote out an Rx for blood pressure medicine. I refused. It has been measured 50 times since then and never over 134/85. Mostly around 125/78. Dimwitt. If he had put me on the Rx I never would have gotten off. What do they call a guy who graduated last in his class in medical school? Doctor.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
I made it to almost 48 without medications. I ate good, had great cholesterol, great BP, weight was acceptable, rarely ever sick. Even now that I have had cancer for the past two years I'm on minimal meds; just the drugs needed to manage my disease.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
I'm 58, and I take no medications at all. My husband is the same age, and he takes no medications.

So far, so good!!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM

156 posts, read 694,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I'm 58, and I take no medications at all. My husband is the same age, and he takes no medications.

So far, so good!!
So far, so good that you don't take medicine now? Will you not be saying that if you take medicine at some point?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
Well just because you're not on meds doesn't mean you're in good health. Like the person who said he/she was sedentary and overweight. So your BP and blood-sugar levels are normal, but that hardly makes you fit and healthy. What about doing a full lipid/liver/kidney test panel? How good is your cardiovascular health?

Those matter a lot more than the fact you're not on any meds. In fact, if you're overweight and have an inactive lifestyle, the fact you're not on any meds indicates you're not proactive in your health -- you are merely waiting for obvious symptoms before going to the doctor.

I do a lipid panel annually, and a more comprehensive blood test every 2 yrs.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
It is an utter fallacy that people who are inactive are in poor health. Many of the oldest, happiest, and healthiest people across the world are sedentary folks many of whom are overweight and don't pay any attention to their diet.

Sick people with poor genetics and medical problems are often helped by exercise and diet. A person with a weak heart that won't do the work it is supposed to do can strengthen the heart muscle and enjoy better circulation and better health.

For healthy sedentary persons exercise may be a risk factor, yielding no health improvement but subjecting the person to injuries and illnesses solely from the exercise. The one size fits all remedy for good health is a fraud. Ask a Japanese great-grandma how much exercise she gets each day. Or the 90 year old Hasidic rabbi if he is pumping the iron or skiing.

" . . . . A recent World Health Organization study, coauthored by Christopher Murray, professor of international health economics, ranked the Japanese as the world’s healthiest people. They have apparently achieved this without the “no pain, no gain” ethic of fitness clubs, . . . . The fact that only 3 percent of the Japanese population chooses to exercise twice a week or more (the American figure is 7 percent) . . . . ."

http://harvardmagazine.com/2000/09/j...-aerobics.html

Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Does self-medication count?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Going on 63 and no meds yet. I rarely even take aspirin.

Not that I'm looking to be put on any medications but I have an appointment with a new doctor in a month. Let's see what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness