Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,192,233 times

Advertisements

I'm 52 and not on any medication except for the occasional aspirin or ibuprofen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Went for a routine dentist visit the other day at a new dentist and one of the questions of course that is asked is of course "Are you on any medications?" I said no, and the dental hygenist looked like she was astounded. What gives? I get this all of the time, whenever I have to go for a physical, drug test for a new job, etc. How many people here do not chronically take any medications at all?
I went for a complete physical recently the doctor and nurses were astounded that I wasn't on any medication...I guess we're not good for "business" lol

Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,522,864 times
Tiluha, me too! My doc has grabbed his notepad more than once to write me up and I've told him no-thanks.

My blood pressure was 110/70 or so for years. I think the raw garlic along with the raw vinegar is helping a lot, along with the peace of mind that meditation is gifting me.

We all ROCK~

Old 01-19-2012, 04:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,542,907 times
Me. I am way overdue for a doctor visit. Feeling fine, but I do feel like I should go. I don't know if I'm afaid they will find something, or if I'm just to busy...and I am also a procrastinator by nature.

I been to many doctors offices in the past 3 years. More than I can even begin to count. But it's always to acompany someone else, for whatever problems they are having. My Dad, my husband and my daughter have all had to visit the doctor many times over the past 3 years.

Now that things are settling down with all of them, I have a new job and don't want to ask for a day off right after starting! -_-

Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 PM

156 posts, read 693,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
And what is wrong with taking meds?
Nothing. People who think this are incredibly misguided. As a physician, this is a problem I deal with every day. Too many people are afraid to take medication because they listen to the droves of misguided people.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM

642 posts, read 1,111,712 times
I think a lot of the doctors don't have enough time to properly address the situation and end up defaulting to prescribing pills.

It seems like they have given up hope that people can actually make positive lifestyle adjustments.

My coworker told me about how when he tried to ask for alternatives to high blood pressure pills, the Dr took of his glasses and rubbed his face in frustration and said "The problem is, you kids say you're willing to make these changes but you never do." He refused to start with a diet or exercise program, so my friend fired that guy right off the bat.

I think medicine is effective when you take it and you're problem is solved. There's a whole industry of 'maintenance medication' that thrives on a range of problems caused by sedentary life.

It's not true in all cases and I know that some people are still alive thanks to medications, but in general it's just a sordid go-to. A lot of stress-induced illnesses could be reduced by regular massage therapy, baths with scented candles and meditation and outdoor exercise.

Patients also have the responsibility of taking care of themselves physically and mentally. For a lot of people pills are the only solution because they're unable or not willing to make any changes to their routine.

Basically meds should still be there but more as a last resort.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
Almost 40 never been on any meds, it does seem like a rarity though.
I hate Dr offices and hospitals so I try to stay healthy.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,963,134 times
I'm 30. Healthy as an ox!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM

156 posts, read 693,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I think a lot of the doctors don't have enough time to properly address the situation and end up defaulting to prescribing pills.

It seems like they have given up hope that people can actually make positive lifestyle adjustments.

My coworker told me about how when he tried to ask for alternatives to high blood pressure pills, the Dr took of his glasses and rubbed his face in frustration and said "The problem is, you kids say you're willing to make these changes but you never do." He refused to start with a diet or exercise program, so my friend fired that guy right off the bat.

I think medicine is effective when you take it and you're problem is solved. There's a whole industry of 'maintenance medication' that thrives on a range of problems caused by sedentary life.

It's not true in all cases and I know that some people are still alive thanks to medications, but in general it's just a sordid go-to. A lot of stress-induced illnesses could be reduced by regular massage therapy, baths with scented candles and meditation and outdoor exercise.

Patients also have the responsibility of taking care of themselves physically and mentally. For a lot of people pills are the only solution because they're unable or not willing to make any changes to their routine.

Basically meds should still be there but more as a last resort.
So one example and you paint all doctors with a broad brush?

Believe it or not, meds really are a last resort. It may not look that way to a pt, though.

GPs counsel patients every day to lose weight, stop smoking and cut back on drinking. They don't. What's your suggestion? Continue counseling until they have a heart attack? Then no one will argue meds with the doctor.

People are lazy. Don't blame your doctor.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,802,433 times
(Raising my hand. And knocking on wood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness