U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times

Advertisements

OH NO!!

"In a report in the venerable medical journal Fertility and Sterility, Argentinian scientists describe how they got semen samples from 29 healthy men, placed a few drops under a laptop connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi and then hit download."

Laptop Wi-Fi said to nuke sperm, but caveats abound | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
This is actually the most popular form of birth control.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
I think all of this "pollution" that people are constantly bombarded with from lap-tops / wi-fi / cell-phones / smart meters, etc., etc. is actually quite problematic and that in the future people will become more aware of the degree to which it's truly a health hazard.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
hmm...good thing I have no sperm to be concerned about.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM

19 posts, read 29,835 times
Wifi and all this other crap is all around if you live in a city. It probably affects both genders.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
The article suggests that the heat generated by the laptop and/or the WiFi radio might have caused the problems with the sperm. It's well documented that high temperatures "down there" can inhibit sperm production, so I can see how having a computer on one's lap for en extended period of time might be problematic. However this problem might be mitigated by resting the laptop on something, such as a lap desk. This would absorb some of the heat, and possibly other radiation from the device.

The study only addressed the effects of the laptops on living sperm. This might apply to the live sperm in a man's body, but this study does not address whether or not sperm productionis affected.

Many years ago, a surge in testicular cancer was noted in police officers. This was linked to the radar guns. Turns out that the offices were sitting in their patrol vehicles, and rested the radar gun between their legs when they were not actively measuring the speed of an oncoming vehicle. Even though the guns were not transmitting at full power when they were not in use, there was still allegedly enough residual radiation to cause problems with long-term exposure. Solution: most radar guns are now mounted on the dashboard or window of the patrol vehicle. The radiation is still there, but it is apparently not harmful when it's not very close to the more sensitive parts of one's anatomy.

My point is that as I type this posting, I am being bombarded by radiation from wifi devices, cell phones, FM/AM radio stations, VHF transmitters, and many other sources in earth's atmosphere, and beyond. There is little scientific evidence to show that any of this residual radiation is harmful, even in the long run. That said, long-term, direct contact with a transmitting device might cause problems. I don't worry about having a wifi router in my home, but I try to avoid sleeping with the router strapped to my head or waist. Some experts have advised against sleeping with a cell phone near your head (e.g. on a bedside table.) I am not sure that this would really cause a problem, and I do keep my phone on my bedside table. However, this has not been proven to be safe or unsafe, so I have started to place it on the far side of the table. ;-)

Last edited by ToucheGA; 12-04-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The article suggests that the heat generated by the laptop and/or the WiFi radio might have caused the problems with the sperm. It's well documented that high temperatures "down there" can inhibit sperm production, so I can see how having a computer on one's lap for en extended period of time might be problematic. However this problem might be mitigated by resting the laptop on something, such as a lap desk. This would absorb some of the heat, and possibly other radiation from the device...
This is what I was thinking when I read the article. I believe they said they put the sperm "under the laptop". I wonder if the results would be different if they put it in viles 3-4" to the left or right of the laptop, or put it halfway between the router and laptop, so the heat wouldn't affect the study.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 AM

61 posts, read 97,587 times
This only effects those that actually care to have liabilities (children).

Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,831,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_kitty_faster View Post
This only effects those that actually care to have liabilities (children).
I bet you are a joy to be around. Do you also hate puppies?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM

61 posts, read 97,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I bet you are a joy to be around. Do you also hate puppies?
No I love puppies just very much have a disdain for children.

Julia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness