U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:45 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,374,720 times

Advertisements

I think this is related to malpractice insurance and doctor's being educated about such. Thirty year's ago, when my kids were small, I would call the doctor and say so-and-so had another ear infection and he would call the script into the pharmacy, sight unseen (and then say if they didn't improve to bring them in) . . . Now, there is no chance of that. You have to crawl into Doc-in-the-Box, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM

6,044 posts, read 21,138,885 times
Just my opinion, but I think doctors who call in prescriptions without seeing the patient are nuts.
I work in healthcare...I've known several nurses who have gotten ill, called the doctor and since it was a nurse, the doctor was agreeable to calling in a script, and the nurse had completely misdiagnosed herself. I've seen that several times. Antibiotics for allergies probably the #1 issue.
If the doctor is able to see you timely, then there is no need to have a prescription called in, IMO.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM

276 posts, read 708,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If the doctor is able to see you timely, then there is no need to have a prescription called in, IMO.
exactly, but even if the dr isn't able to see the patient, there are usually other options (urgent care, etc).

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,374,720 times
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think doctors who call in prescriptions without seeing the patient are nuts.
I work in healthcare...I've known several nurses who have gotten ill, called the doctor and since it was a nurse, the doctor was agreeable to calling in a script, and the nurse had completely misdiagnosed herself. I've seen that several times. Antibiotics for allergies probably the #1 issue.
Just by "seeing you" (office appt.), a doctor cannot tell if you have a respiratory condition due to bacteria or allergies . . . that would take a whole lot of diagnostic tests . . .who pays for that?

I used to get bronchitis quite a bit . . . and it was probably triggered by allergies . . . in that case, I only needed over-the-counter decongestant and cough syrup with codeine. My doctor did prescribe the codeine because it was the only thing that stopped the cough. I suppose now I would have to pay for an office visit to get a cough syrup with codeine in it because the pharmaceutical industry and doctors have turned hoards of people into drug addicts and now the people who legitimately need "x" drug have to pay for a doctor's visit to get it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,987,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This dr I have will not call in a prescription at all . When Im horribly sick I expect a dr to be able to call me in something to make me feel better until I can get to his office . Does anyone else think that is too much to ask of a dr ? The other option is to go to the er and have them look at me and write for some meds for me . I dont think Im asking too much of this dr .
Thanks in advance for responses .
ANY Doctor that is willing to do that without a current script on file needs to have their license pulled.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,987,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I remember when my children were small, I could call my pediatrician's office and tell the nurse it was strep, an ear infection, or a sinus infection and get the necessary antibiotics without having to go to the doctor's office. Today, if that strep turned into something much more serious or wasn't strep in the first place, it would be the doctor's fault for not seeing the patient. Thus, more reason to protect one's self from malpractice by not calling in prescriptions.
This is one of the reasons we have so many resistant illnesses now.
How many years of medical school did you have?
AND you had a very bad Peds doctor.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM

8,322 posts, read 17,664,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
This is one of the reasons we have so many resistant illnesses now.
How many years of medical school did you have?
AND you had a very bad Peds doctor.

Thank you! That's exaclty what I was going to say. We are dealing with MRSA and VRE because of the overuse of antibiotics...drs who just write the script because mom is bitching for one are the cause of all this crap.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM

276 posts, read 708,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Thank you! That's exaclty what I was going to say. We are dealing with MRSA and VRE because of the overuse of antibiotics...drs who just write the script because mom is bitching for one are the cause of all this crap.
well, the doctors and the bitching mom are the cause.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM

8,322 posts, read 17,664,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
well, the doctors and the bitching mom are the cause.

LOL True story.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,588,008 times
Quote:
Christina, I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness