U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
ANY Doctor that is willing to do that without a current script on file needs to have their license pulled.
The State and/or the DEA might do just that if the doctor prescribed medication without personally examining the patient.

Doctors are indeed paranoid about malpractice nowadays. However, they are even more concerned about loosing their medical license or DEA license. Most doctors can continue to make a decent living after loosing a malpractice lawsuit. However, if they loose their medical license or their DEA license, they will no longer be able to legally offer medical treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Ok...I work in a medical office and I am also a consumer/patient myself on chronic meds. I would like to give a rundown just from our office's perspective. He will not give refills for any type of narcotic that can be called in, it's a drug that needs to be monitored so that patients do not become addicted. As far as chronic meds go, it's very important for a Dr to monitor your blood pressure, diabetes etc., sometimes, the meds need to be adjusted. Case in point: I take 2 meds for my BP. One of them caused me to have hypokalemia which could have been very serious. I have taken those meds forever and now I have to be watched closer just for the potassium issue that is being caused by one of them. I HATE to go to the Dr's and to be quite honest with you all, if she didn't have me come in every 3 months, I just wouldn't go, I would rely on those refills. And back to the Dr. that I work for, many times we have seen folks come in to our office needing surgery and their diabetes is out of whack which means they have to get it under control prior to surgery. Alot of these folks do not keep up on their primary care visits and rely on refills.

I too remember when my kids were little I could call my pediatrician and she would rely on my instincts that my child had an ear infection and she would call in an antibiotic. Those days are now gone due to the fact, too many times antibiotics are being given for illnesses that could possibly heal on their own without the aid of an antibiotic, thus taking too many antibiotics make your body immune to them for when you really do need them!

Can't a nurse or doctor look on their computer at the patient's history and see if they are really bad about getting certain types of drugs and simply flag that person so they have to come in for a visit? If I haven't had an antibiotic in a year, then I'm probably not an abuser. I live 35 miles from my doctor and the last time I was at urgent care I was misdiagnosed as almost had to be hospitalized because of it. My doctor has what is called an E-visit, but only for extremely trite things and a ear infection is not one of them. If I am distracted by pain from an ear infection and dizzy from it as well, is it healthier to drive 35 miles to the doctor or have her call in the antibiotic?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodile0108 View Post
Can't a nurse or doctor look on their computer at the patient's history and see if they are really bad about getting certain types of drugs and simply flag that person so they have to come in for a visit? If I haven't had an antibiotic in a year, then I'm probably not an abuser. I live 35 miles from my doctor and the last time I was at urgent care I was misdiagnosed as almost had to be hospitalized because of it. My doctor has what is called an E-visit, but only for extremely trite things and a ear infection is not one of them. If I am distracted by pain from an ear infection and dizzy from it as well, is it healthier to drive 35 miles to the doctor or have her call in the antibiotic?
Another issue physicians face regarding new/acute illnesses is diagnosing the problem accurately. It is far easier to accurately diagnose a problem if the physician can personally examine the patient. If a physician attempts to diagnose a problem over the phone, the chances of a misdiagnosis are higher. Therefore, the chances of an adverse reaction, complications, death, and a multi-million dollar lawsuit, etc. are higher if the physician treats a patient before examining him or her. Even if the patient has had similar symptoms in the past, an examination is needed to make sure that the symptoms are not indicating a new problem. This is why your physician does not use the "E-visit" for things like ear infections.

Think of it this way: if a mechanic said you needed a new engine after talking with you on the phone for a few minutes, would you buy a new engine, or get the mechanic to personally examine the engine to see if it really needs to be replaced? I, for one, would put more faith in a mechanic who actually saw my vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness