U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times

Advertisements

This dr I have will not call in a prescription at all . When Im horribly sick I expect a dr to be able to call me in something to make me feel better until I can get to his office . Does anyone else think that is too much to ask of a dr ? The other option is to go to the er and have them look at me and write for some meds for me . I dont think Im asking too much of this dr .
Thanks in advance for responses .
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM

17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
MDs will not call in meds unless it is a prescription you are currently using. Medical diagnosis is NOT DONE BY PHONE.

Make an appt with your MD to be seen as soon as you appear ill. If you are unhappy with this, visit a urgent care walk-in clinic. Avoid the ER unless you have an emergency.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 PM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
I am currently taking it only it was written by an er dr . I dont have the bucks for an urgent care place and they are a disaster here where I live the drs are poorly trained in those urgent care places and I have been sick for almost 6 months due to an urgent care misdiagnosis thank you .

Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
My dad's doctor won't call in a refill unless she sees my dad. These are medications that he's been taking for many years and can't stop taking. I'm pretty sure that the reason the doctor won't call in the refills is that she wants to get paid for the office visit.

I can understand the doctor not giving you a refill on something that they didn't prescribe originally, and ER docs will not give refills. Is it a money issue keeping you from going to the doctor? I've noticed that the Walmart here has a doctor's office in it now and they've got the fees posted on a sign in front. They charge $59 for an office visit, at least here. I guess the prices might vary some by location...but that seems like a good price.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My dad's doctor won't call in a refill unless she sees my dad. These are medications that he's been taking for many years and can't stop taking. I'm pretty sure that the reason the doctor won't call in the refills is that she wants to get paid for the office visit.

I can understand the doctor not giving you a refill on something that they didn't prescribe originally, and ER docs will not give refills. Is it a money issue keeping you from going to the doctor? I've noticed that the Walmart here has a doctor's office in it now and they've got the fees posted on a sign in front. They charge $59 for an office visit, at least here. I guess the prices might vary some by location...but that seems like a good price.

How long is the script good for?

I'd be concerned that a dr is just refilling scripts year after year and not seeing his patient. It's not all about the money, it just might be about patient care and patient safety.

My dr will write me a one yr script ( for one pill I take everyday), but in order to refill that, I need to see him. No big deal. At all.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
How long is the script good for?

I'd be concerned that a dr is just refilling scripts year after year and not seeing his patient. It's not all about the money, it just might be about patient care and patient safety.

My dr will write me a one yr script ( for one pill I take everyday), but in order to refill that, I need to see him. No big deal. At all.
These are usually prescriptions for a three month supply, which he gets from a mail-order pharmacy. If he doesn't reorder in time, he needs a prescription for a single month which can be filled at a local pharmacy. Then he has to go to the doctor to get that single month prescription. He has diabetes, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, depression and paranoid schizophrenia so he sees a lot of doctors fairly often. Sometimes he will have been at the doctor the week before, then realizes he needs the single-month prescription for one of his meds, and has to go back to the doctor because she won't call it in.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
Quote:
These are usually prescriptions for a three month supply, which he gets from a mail-order pharmacy. If he doesn't reorder in time, he needs a prescription for a single month which can be filled at a local pharmacy. Then he has to go to the doctor to get that single month prescription. He has diabetes, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, depression and paranoid schizophrenia so he sees a lot of doctors fairly often. Sometimes he will have been at the doctor the week before, then realizes he needs the single-month prescription for one of his meds, and has to go back to the doctor because she won't call it in.

Stupid question I'm sure, but......does the office staff know this is why he needs the one month script? If they think he is trying to squeek out an extra script ( we all know those bp meds are in high demand on the street! ) they might want to see him thinking that if he has to 'pay' a dr's visit, he won't really 'need' that month. Does that make sense?

Anyway...that is kinda stupid if you ask me.

I get my pills from my employer"s mail order pharmacy and they are really good...before the third month is up, I get a reminder that I need to call for the next set of three or need to send in a new script for the next 12 mths.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,908,507 times
My physician will no longer call in scripts either. The only way to get a call in is for the pharmacist to contact the doctor about re-filling a already existing script that has expired. He will most often allow a one refill, but an office visit is required to get another one. Due to the high cost of malpractice insurance and America's zest for lawsuits, most physicians feel they must protect themselves. I remember when my children were small, I could call my pediatrician's office and tell the nurse it was strep, an ear infection, or a sinus infection and get the necessary antibiotics without having to go to the doctor's office. Today, if that strep turned into something much more serious or wasn't strep in the first place, it would be the doctor's fault for not seeing the patient. Thus, more reason to protect one's self from mal-practice by not calling in perscriptions.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,585,285 times
Ok...I work in a medical office and I am also a consumer/patient myself on chronic meds. I would like to give a rundown just from our office's perspective. He will not give refills for any type of narcotic that can be called in, it's a drug that needs to be monitored so that patients do not become addicted. As far as chronic meds go, it's very important for a Dr to monitor your blood pressure, diabetes etc., sometimes, the meds need to be adjusted. Case in point: I take 2 meds for my BP. One of them caused me to have hypokalemia which could have been very serious. I have taken those meds forever and now I have to be watched closer just for the potassium issue that is being caused by one of them. I HATE to go to the Dr's and to be quite honest with you all, if she didn't have me come in every 3 months, I just wouldn't go, I would rely on those refills. And back to the Dr. that I work for, many times we have seen folks come in to our office needing surgery and their diabetes is out of whack which means they have to get it under control prior to surgery. Alot of these folks do not keep up on their primary care visits and rely on refills.

I too remember when my kids were little I could call my pediatrician and she would rely on my instincts that my child had an ear infection and she would call in an antibiotic. Those days are now gone due to the fact, too many times antibiotics are being given for illnesses that could possibly heal on their own without the aid of an antibiotic, thus taking too many antibiotics make your body immune to them for when you really do need them!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 PM

276 posts, read 707,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post

I too remember when my kids were little I could call my pediatrician and she would rely on my instincts that my child had an ear infection and she would call in an antibiotic. Those days are now gone due to the fact, too many times antibiotics are being given for illnesses that could possibly heal on their own without the aid of an antibiotic, thus taking too many antibiotics make your body immune to them for when you really do need them!
very true. we are living in the day of drug resistant organisms and often people will think they have an infection (ear, urine, etc) when they don't. if we were living in many other countries, you could just walk up to any pharmacy and get whatever you want. that's not a good way to go.

Quote:
He has diabetes, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, depression and paranoid schizophrenia so he sees a lot of doctors fairly often. Sometimes he will have been at the doctor the week before, then realizes he needs the single-month prescription for one of his meds, and has to go back to the doctor because she won't call it in.
since he has diabetes, he needs to be seen every 3-4 months at least. tight control of diabetes (by regular monitoring) can prevent blindness, amputations, dialysis, etc. as for not calling in things when he was just seen....that sounds weird, however i can see that happening if that particular medication/condition wasn't discussed or addressed at his last visit because other issues WERE covered. or maybe he's just being unfair. in either case, figure out what you need refills on before you go in and ask then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness