U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times

Advertisements

You have read that synvisc is only approved for the knee?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You have read that synvisc is only approved for the knee?
If the question was to me, my answer is No, I've read no such thing. Though it has been primarily used for that part of the body.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Thanks for that info, but you do know, I'm only going to remember the bolded part. I was trying not to think about that part. I might just chicken out, I was one of those kids that had to be held down for my shots. My foot doc snuck up on me with a needle to my foot and I nearly smacked him, after, for not preparing me for that little diddy.

Funny you should mention chicken.

"Synvisc is derived from the fat of chicken combs, and has been transformed into an injection that can be administered directly into the knee joint to aid in function."

Is Synvisc the Last Resort Before Knee Replacement? | eHow.com

Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
From www.synviscone.com, the "official"site:
"Before trying Synvisc-One or SYNVISC, tell your doctor if you are allergic to products from birds—such as feathers, eggs or poultry—or if your leg is swollen or infected. Synvisc-One and SYNVISC are only for injection into the knee, performed by a doctor or other qualified health care professional. Synvisc-One and SYNVISC have not been tested to show pain relief in joints other than the knee. "

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Just a few articles mentioning the branching out of using the drug for areas other than the knee. A complete medical history workup with questions about allergies and such was done. I'm going for all kinds of blood work next week, more MRI's, and further X-rays as well, just to rule out some other things including cancer, (which he said in a whisper, like I wasn't going to hear what he said, ) before the injections begin.

http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/04/20/sodium-hyaluronate-effective-for-treating-chronic-shoulder-pain.htm

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/genzyme-receives-european-approval-for-synviscr-in-ankle-and-shoulder-osteoarthritis-indications-55791602.html

http://arthritis.about.com/od/synvisc/f/synvisc.htm

Anyway, your help is much appreciated, I just want to assure you, I'm not sitting idle on the matter and have been reading up as my doctor had discussed with me that the drug had been primarily used in the beginning for knee treatments, but if I didn't want the cortisone, he would give the Synvisc a try. I didn't tell him I would take the cortisone, just that I wasn't thrilled with the idea of the side effects. I probably have one of the best doctors around and am just making myself crazy because of past experiences.

Last edited by TRosa; 12-02-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
TRosa,
Just to clarify from my earlier post, I would definitely recommend the Synvisc or whatever other similar injection you doctor is recommending. The only time I would hestitate to recommend it would be if you did not have insurance or your insurance does not cover it. These injections are expensive, I think the cost was around $950 for a series of injections when I had them a couple of years ago.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
TRosa,
Just to clarify from my earlier post, I would definitely recommend the Synvisc or whatever other similar injection you doctor is recommending. The only time I would hestitate to recommend it would be if you did not have insurance or your insurance does not cover it. These injections are expensive, I think the cost was around $950 for a series of injections when I had them a couple of years ago.
Oh, believe me, I'm happy for you telling of your experiences; it's helpful to hear other's experiences whatever that may have been.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Wondering if anyone is familiar with Synvisc or other injections used to treat various Arthritis, Bursitis conditions.

I'm headed for a series of treatments for shoulder, knees and back. After the holidays, the doctor will be starting with, likely, Synvisc injections to the shoulder. I've already gone through PT, with very little success, I still can't use my right arm fully and arthritis to other areas just keep coming back stronger. Having tried other meds with problems plus I've refused opioids, not interested in becoming a zombie druggie, so next in line seems to be the injections.

So, anyone with any experience having been injected? Aside from the fact that I'm terrified of needles, just what was your experience like, did you have good results. Believe me if my insurance covered alternative medicine, I'd go to someone that practiced reiki or something and daily massages aren't in my budget. My doctor did say I could bring in the infor on magnectic treatments I heard about, but I think he was just trying to humor me.
Yes, I've known several co-workers that tried Synvisc with little success. It's better to deal with the pain as long as you can using a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The NASID I will recommend based on long personal use is "Arthrotec" a drug that stops the pain without any danger of addiction.

Both my wife and I have used Arthrotec 75 for years to deal with our arthritis. The other drugs used to treat Arthritis such as Celibrex just crippled us both up so back to Arthritis 75 we both went.

So ask your doctor to try you on this little known older medicine before you try Synvisc. You might find it will allow you to live pain free for a long time as it has us.

Disclosure: http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthro...rotecfacts.htm

Old 12-02-2011, 04:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It's better to deal with the pain as long as you can using a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug...So ask your doctor to try you on this little known older medicine before you try Synvisc.
Tightwad,
As someone who has had several series of Synvisc injections, I disagree. There is nothing negative about Synvisc except for the cost if you have to pay out of pocket. There are a lot of negatives withlong term use of NSAIDs. Synvisc is no magic cure but it helps many people with no side effects. You didn't give us any reason not to try it. BTW, I had a reaction during my second series of injections but it was my fault. My knee swelled up but it was after I had played a couple of games of full court basketball a few hours after the injections. The Synvisc instructions say you should avoid any strenuous activities for about 48 hours.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, I've known several co-workers that tried Synvisc with little success. It's better to deal with the pain as long as you can using a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The NASID I will recommend based on long personal use is "Arthrotec" a drug that stops the pain without any danger of addiction.

Both my wife and I have used Arthrotec 75 for years to deal with our arthritis. The other drugs used to treat Arthritis such as Celibrex just crippled us both up so back to Arthritis 75 we both went.

So ask your doctor to try you on this little known older medicine before you try Synvisc. You might find it will allow you to live pain free for a long time as it has us.

Disclosure: Arthrotec Dosage, Side Effects, Drug Interactions, Safety Warnings - Arthrotec Facts

Thanks for the link, I looked at the info. As I mentioned in my first post, I've gone down the path of oral drugs. The ones mentioned on the site and others are not possible for me to take even though some with doctor's watchful eyes, we've tried years ago. Even once when the pain had been so bad, I filled a script, not knowing that the generic name on the script was for oxycotin and I took them, but regurgitated them that night. Only then did I looked the drug up on the net and realized what I'd taken and got rid of them, I had to deal with the pain using OC meds as best I could. I was pissed off at the doctor but more angry at myself for not questioning him about the med he prescribed before filling it.

I've been dealing with pain treatments for well over 15 years, only now considering the injection route because of the more debilitating complications that are springing up. I would like to get back to sleeping at least six hours a night. As it is, I'm constantly getting out of bed, moving around to relieve points of pain. I need to stop typing about it, this is making me focus on just what I'd like to not consentrate on. Off to the entertainment section after I take care of this forming migrane. It's a good thing I have to pass a mirror, so I can have a good laugh on the way to crab a pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness