U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone is familiar with Synvisc or other injections used to treat various Arthritis, Bursitis conditions.

I'm headed for a series of treatments for shoulder, knees and back. After the holidays, the doctor will be starting with, likely, Synvisc injections to the shoulder. I've already gone through PT, with very little success, I still can't use my right arm fully and arthritis to other areas just keep coming back stronger. Having tried other meds with problems plus I've refused opioids, not interested in becoming a zombie druggie, so next in line seems to be the injections.

So, anyone with any experience having been injected? Aside from the fact that I'm terrified of needles, just what was your experience like, did you have good results. Believe me if my insurance covered alternative medicine, I'd go to someone that practiced reiki or something and daily massages aren't in my budget. My doctor did say I could bring in the infor on magnectic treatments I heard about, but I think he was just trying to humor me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,605,182 times
I don't have any helpful info on the injections, sorry. However if you have a massage school near by check their rates for massage, the one near me charges $30 for a hour and they do a great job.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I don't have any helpful info on the injections, sorry. However if you have a massage school near by check their rates for massage, the one near me charges $30 for a hour and they do a great job.
Thank you for the suggestion, but honestly, it can't be cured that simply, I was getting massages in PT, it feels oh so good, but it's a very temporary solution. My understanding is the shots last for months to as much as a year depending on what's administered and how your body reacts. I'd like to imagine, there's an alternative and I'm going to look up what I saw about the magnectic pain relief via Doc Oz's site. no eye rolls people, remember the whole jc thing. matter fact, I'm going over to Oz' site in a minute to look up that particulal show on the pain therapy with the magnectic force field thing.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:06 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I have had several injections into my hip, don't know what styeroid was used, also into the lumbar region of my back. The hip ones helped a lot, the first back one was wonderful, the next three lasted shorter and shorter times. None were painful to receive (don't look at the needle, it is looong). I have had three or four trigger finger injections (different fingers) which hurt like hell to get but which provided immediate relief and I've never needed one repeated (maybe 3-4 yrs ago?).

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have had several injections into my hip, don't know what styeroid was used, also into the lumbar region of my back. The hip ones helped a lot, the first back one was wonderful, the next three lasted shorter and shorter times. None were painful to receive (don't look at the needle, it is looong). I have had three or four trigger finger injections (different fingers) which hurt like hell to get but which provided immediate relief and I've never needed one repeated (maybe 3-4 yrs ago?).
Thanks for that info, but you do know, I'm only going to remember the bolded part. I was trying not to think about that part. I might just chicken out, I was one of those kids that had to be held down for my shots. My foot doc snuck up on me with a needle to my foot and I nearly smacked him, after, for not preparing me for that little diddy.

Anyone else that would like to tell me about their experience, please leave out needle descriptions pleeeeeesssssssse. I'm more interested in your results, side effects if any. If you decide to mention needles, place warning before, thanks.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Wondering if anyone is familiar with Synvisc or other injections used to treat various Arthritis, Bursitis conditions.

I'm headed for a series of treatments for shoulder, knees and back. After the holidays, the doctor will be starting with, likely, Synvisc injections to the shoulder. I've already gone through PT, with very little success, I still can't use my right arm fully and arthritis to other areas just keep coming back stronger. Having tried other meds with problems plus I've refused opioids, not interested in becoming a zombie druggie, so next in line seems to be the injections.

So, anyone with any experience having been injected? Aside from the fact that I'm terrified of needles, just what was your experience like, did you have good results. Believe me if my insurance covered alternative medicine, I'd go to someone that practiced reiki or something and daily massages aren't in my budget. My doctor did say I could bring in the infor on magnectic treatments I heard about, but I think he was just trying to humor me.
Try not to be too terrified, the relief will you'll feel in the hurting area will be SO worth it

Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Try not to be too terrified, the relief will you'll feel in the hurting area will be SO worth it
I appreciate the encouragement. Thank you.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I appreciate the encouragement. Thank you.
Do as SouthernBelle recommended, don't look at the needle - it will just intimidate you unnecessarily.

You will be so glad for the instant relief you feel when it's over that you'll be glad you did this

Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,829,758 times
I have had Synvisc and another series of injections similar to Synvisc. I don't remember the name of the other one (I think there are 4-5 of these type of injections on the market, Synvisc was the first) but my doc suggested switching to it. I was having these injections every 6-12 months. I am very athletic palying basketball and running distance races. I have a torn meniscus, developing arthritis and something else wrong with my right knee. The first time I had the Synvisc injections, I had no reaction. My knee seemed a little bet better but it was hard to tell. It changes, sometimes I have a lot of pain, other times hardly any. The second series of injections, I had a reaction after the first shot where my knee swelled up. The doctor had to drain fluid from it to give me another injection. He also gave me a steroid injection, which really took the pain away for about a month. The knee swelled after the second injection and he again had to remove fluid to give me the 3rd injection. I had three of four series of injections and then tore my meniscus a little bit more and decided to have arthroscopic surgery. The surgery helped some but the orthopedic surgeon said I was buying time until I would need a knee replacement. I have run some races (10K and 5K) since the surgery and still play some basketball. I have done some strengthening exercises but I need to get more serious about it. I think weight lifting exercises strengthens the muscles around the knee and gives it support. Y understanding is most of the Synvisc type injections are done on knees and they have had the most success with the knee injections. Always a good idea to Google the latest medical research articles on these things.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have had Synvisc and another series of injections similar to Synvisc. I don't remember the name of the other one (I think there are 4-5 of these type of injections on the market, Synvisc was the first) but my doc suggested switching to it. I was having these injections every 6-12 months. I am very athletic palying basketball and running distance races. I have a torn meniscus, developing arthritis and something else wrong with my right knee. The first time I had the Synvisc injections, I had no reaction. My knee seemed a little bet better but it was hard to tell. It changes, sometimes I have a lot of pain, other times hardly any. The second series of injections, I had a reaction after the first shot where my knee swelled up. The doctor had to drain fluid from it to give me another injection. He also gave me a steroid injection, which really took the pain away for about a month. The knee swelled after the second injection and he again had to remove fluid to give me the 3rd injection. I had three of four series of injections and then tore my meniscus a little bit more and decided to have arthroscopic surgery. The surgery helped some but the orthopedic surgeon said I was buying time until I would need a knee replacement. I have run some races (10K and 5K) since the surgery and still play some basketball. I have done some strengthening exercises but I need to get more serious about it. I think weight lifting exercises strengthens the muscles around the knee and gives it support. Y understanding is most of the Synvisc type injections are done on knees and they have had the most success with the knee injections. Always a good idea to Google the latest medical research articles on these things.
Thank you, I have been doing some net searches and much info experiences has been sucessful for many, not so much for some others. I've read of a few similar experiences like yours.

From reading and talking to the doctors, I'm more confused as to whether I should go through with it or not. Having worked in and having experiences with inept doctors in the healthcare field years past, I've seen some things that just make me leary about some and their methods of treatment, so, I wanted to hear firsthand experiences from people on city-data. I'm sure I will continue to read up on various medical sites. I have until January, to go through with the injections or figure out some other way around the pain. I've been able to, momentarily, ignore pain by distractions of sorts, but, lately it's decided it won't ignore me and is only getting worse. I used to hike, had to nix that it was worsening my foot and knee problems. The shoulder thing is what really has caused me to consider more dramatic options. Not being able to carry all my beach gear is not acceptable. Though I did still make it to the beach this past weekend, I might have to bring a blow up mattress next time for comfort.

My injuries, partly, originated with over usage of weight machines, (I wouldn't listen when the guy near me warned that I was over doing it), two car accidents, several bad falls due to balance issues and then compounding things by going back to work too soon exacerbated issues steming from the car accidents. I returned to a job that required some assiting patients with thier own physical rehabilition. Ironic. Live and learn or not so much till too late.

Anyway, it's very helpful hearing from those that have some experience with past forms of injections if anyone has also used electromagnetic field therapy, please feel free to chime in as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness