U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,991,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I am a big fan of 5-htp. I've had bouts of insomnia for years and I've tried every herbal remedy out there. 5-htp helped with my anxiety and sleep with no noticable side effects. Another one to try is magnesium. I take calcium and magnesium before going to bed and these alone have improved my sleep significantly.

Hey thanks MoonLady! May I ask what dosage you take? (I know this is private, so feel free to PM me).

I went ahead and bought some 100mg 5-htp tablets yesterday. Took two -- spaced about 6 hours apart. Did not seem to affect my insomnia -- -- but I did notice an affect on my mood. I actually felt less exhausted, even though I've been going on about 1-2 hours of sleep per night for the last few days.

I've heard of taking Magnesium, but it reeeeeaaallly upsets my stomach in a most distressing and embarrassing way! Are you aware of a particular brand that won't do this? (Again, feel free to PM me).

Thanks again for all the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Hey thanks MoonLady! May I ask what dosage you take? (I know this is private, so feel free to PM me).

I went ahead and bought some 100mg 5-htp tablets yesterday. Took two -- spaced about 6 hours apart. Did not seem to affect my insomnia -- -- but I did notice an affect on my mood. I actually felt less exhausted, even though I've been going on about 1-2 hours of sleep per night for the last few days.

I've heard of taking Magnesium, but it reeeeeaaallly upsets my stomach in a most distressing and embarrassing way! Are you aware of a particular brand that won't do this? (Again, feel free to PM me).

magnesium should be taken after meals

Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,094,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

I always start with the lowest dose first. 50mg is what I took, but it seems like they did say you could increase the dosage - I did not need to. As for magnesium, well that's one of the properties and why I take it! Magnesium citrate is actually good for relieving constipation. But there are other types that don't necessarily produce those effects. Actually, a calcium magnesium complex is good because the calcium tends to have the opposite effect, so it mellows out the effects of the magnesium. Do some Googling on calcium and magnesium for insomnia and you will find some interesting information.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 32,710 times
Have you tried this product? It's herbal remedy, Serenite-LT™ - Natural Sleeping Aid to Help You Fall & Stay Asleep , take a look at it.

Last edited by spartak; 12-05-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,499,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I hate SSRI drugs. Hate them. I won't even elaborate as to why. Just google SSRI side effects---enough said.
SSRIS do work for some people-myself being one.
Having said that the best one for me is actually a noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor also-venlafaxine.

I'm not aware that I have any side effects from this drug. I sleep better, am less anxious, tearful and agitated and have more motivation.I have always had a tendency to be on the upper end of my acceptable weight for my height, but with SSRIs I actually lose weight-maybe because I am more active because my mood is better.

All prescription drugs can have side effects because they induce a chemical change in your body in order to produce their effect. Some people are more sensitive to chemical changes than others.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,346 times
Quote:
I hate SSRI drugs. Hate them. I won't even elaborate as to why. Just google SSRI side effects---enough said.
I take an SSRI and I don't have any side effects from it. Everybody reacts differently to medications.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
SSRIS do work for some people-myself being one.
Having said that the best one for me is actually a noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor also-venlafaxine.

I'm not aware that I have any side effects from this drug. I sleep better, am less anxious, tearful and agitated and have more motivation.I have always had a tendency to be on the upper end of my acceptable weight for my height, but with SSRIs I actually lose weight-maybe because I am more active because my mood is better.

All prescription drugs can have side effects because they induce a chemical change in your body in order to produce their effect. Some people are more sensitive to chemical changes than others.

the problem,which no one relates when you begin such meds,is the withdrawals once you attempt to stop them. Scary stuff!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I take an SSRI and I don't have any side effects from it. Everybody reacts differently to medications.

there are severe withdrawals once one attempts to cease taking the SSRI drugs

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Quote:
No, not all of them. Effexor is known to cause seizurres if not tapered down slowly. Cymbalta can cause suicidal ideation without a taper. Many of the others have no after-effects from stopping, but it should always be done with your doctor's advice.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,346 times
Quote:
Not always. There is less chance of withdrawal effects if the dose is tapered down slowly, under a doctor's care. Drugs with longer half-lives (like Prozac) typically do not cause any serious withdrawals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness