U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No, not all of them. Effexor is known to cause seizurres if not tapered down slowly. Cymbalta can cause suicidal ideation without a taper. Many of the others have no after-effects from stopping, but it should always be done with your doctor's advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Not always. There is less chance of withdrawal effects if the dose is tapered down slowly, under a doctor's care. Drugs with longer half-lives (like Prozac) typically do not cause any serious withdrawals.

the one I saw a loved one withdraw from was Paxil and it was done as directed by a doctor. Withdrawals were awful and continued for about 6 months. For another 6 months there continued to be what was referred to as "brain zaps".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,454,699 times
Calcium & Magnesium

I took the 2 last night with some milk and did sleep better, actually more soundly. What I had on hand was 250 mg. of magnesium. Hope that isn't too much.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,454,699 times
Default A Good Friend to Talk With

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
That sounds so nice.
The way you write about it made me feel kind of sad.
I really wish i had that these days ... someone to take a long walk and talk with (well, i do have my dog but she's not much of a conversationalist).
And a long walk in the evening is a good thing however heavy / aerobic exercise in the evening is not the best thing when someone has sleep issues.
Sometimes I think a trusted friend to talk to is golden--and so hard to find. A sympathetic ear goes a long way toward a relaxed state of mind. And a nice long leisurely walk after dinner is very restful.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,499,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
the problem,which no one relates when you begin such meds,is the withdrawals once you attempt to stop them. Scary stuff!
I've been on and off them several times in the last 20 years and haven't had any problems,although have never been on a very high dose.
Now if you were talking about major tranquilisers (benzodiazepines) like valium etc I would agree with you completely, and it seems like Docs here are still prescribing these a little too light heartedly.
I think the most serious potential risk with SSRIs is the potential for increased suicidal tendencies in people who already have suicidal thoughts. In the UK only psychiatrists can prescribe some of the SSRIS, especially in teenagers.
In addition there is a risk of a life threatening condition called serotonin syndrome (which many doctors aren't even aware of).This is more likely in the elderly and those who are taking other meds that can also affect serotonin levels eg some antibiotics, BP meds and pain killlers such as oxycodone.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I try to exercise, but I seem to need extreme amounts of it to have an effect. And then I get sore and unmotivated. The last really great nights sleep I had was during a spring trip to NYC. I thought I would really have trouble, because of the noise, being in a strange bed, etc. But we walked non-stop *all day* -- and the noise is so high and constant that it was almost like background noise -- filtered out unpleasant things like DH's snoring and noisy hotel neighbors coming in at 3 a.m.

What about 5htp? Has anyone had success with it?

Thanks for all of your replies - I appreciate the support!
First I should start by telling you that I have little experience with this so take it for what it's worth. One thing that pops out at me here is, have you tried a white noise machine? I think you can program them to play different background sounds thru the night. If your computer is in your bedroom, I suppose you might even be able to download something to play on there all night, but I'm not sure.

I have heard great stuff about 5-HTP, and I think you need to give it some time to build up the serotonin in your brain, so it won't actually work like a sleeping pill. I can't remember if you mentioned caffeine, but my guess is that you've already stopped consuming it? If not. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Hey thanks MoonLady! May I ask what dosage you take? (I know this is private, so feel free to PM me).

I went ahead and bought some 100mg 5-htp tablets yesterday. Took two -- spaced about 6 hours apart. Did not seem to affect my insomnia -- -- but I did notice an affect on my mood. I actually felt less exhausted, even though I've been going on about 1-2 hours of sleep per night for the last few days.

I've heard of taking Magnesium, but it reeeeeaaallly upsets my stomach in a most distressing and embarrassing way! Are you aware of a particular brand that won't do this? (Again, feel free to PM me).

Thanks again for all the replies!
Have you tried the slo-mag brand? They get into your system a little at a time and may not do that as much or maybe a pharmacist can recommend one that doesn't do that? Actually, what brand do you take? I could use a little more stomach upset, lol.

Also, is your bedroom really dark? I've read that if you have any light at all in your BR, it can affect the quality of your sleep and esp if it's a blue light, like from a TV left on. Apparently the light can actually stop your own melatonin from "producing."

ABout SSRI's I have a horror story: my ex-MIL was on paxil for quite a number of years and decided that it wasn't working anymore. She decided to go off of it cold turkey right before a big trip to Europe. With us. The trip could have been material for Chevy Chase's European Vacation--it was bad. She called her daughters from Amsterdam and shrieked that we were trying to abandon her there and wanted them to come get her. She hasn't been the same since.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,499,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartak View Post
Have you tried this product? It's herbal remedy, Serenite-LT™ - Natural Sleeping Aid to Help You Fall & Stay Asleep , take a look at it.
Just because it says it's natural doesn't mean it doesn't have side effects or interactions with other medications. Also the production of these "natural" remedies isn't regulated in the same way as prescription drugs.
Herbal remedies can be just as dangerous, if not more so,than prescription drugs as people think they are natural and therefore safe and also omit to inform health practitioners that they are taking them.
Schisandra can interact quite serioulsy with coumadin (blood thinner), NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) and some diabetes and epilepsy meds.
Schisandra Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

St Johns Wort has a MAJOR INTERACTION WITH THE ANTIDEPRESSANT XANAX, AMITRYPTILLINE,CITALOPRAM,SOME CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS, DIGOXIN , VALIUM,PHENYTOIN,PRILOSEC AND COUMADIN PLUS MANY OTHERS.
St. John's Wort Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList
Risk of Drug Interactions with St. John's Wort and Indinavir and other Drugs

Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Just because it says it's natural doesn't mean it doesn't have side effects or interactions with other medications. Also the production of these "natural" remedies isn't regulated in the same way as prescription drugs.
Herbal remedies can be just as dangerous, if not more so,than prescription drugs as people think they are natural and therefore safe and also omit to inform health practitioners that they are taking them.
Schisandra can interact quite serioulsy with coumadin (blood thinner), NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) and some diabetes and epilepsy meds.
Schisandra Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

St Johns Wort has a MAJOR INTERACTION WITH THE ANTIDEPRESSANT XANAX, AMITRYPTILLINE,CITALOPRAM,SOME CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS, DIGOXIN , VALIUM,PHENYTOIN,PRILOSEC AND COUMADIN PLUS MANY OTHERS.
St. John's Wort Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList
Risk of Drug Interactions with St. John's Wort and Indinavir and other Drugs
Yes, it's important to realize that even "natural" products have side effects and interactions. Taking something like 5-HTP or St. John's Wort could produce a life-threatening side effect when taken with SSRI's or Dextromethorphan (cough suppressant found in NyQuil and others) and numerous other drugs.

5-HTP and St. John's Wort are essentially SSRI's...

Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,094,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Calcium & Magnesium

I took the 2 last night with some milk and did sleep better, actually more soundly. What I had on hand was 250 mg. of magnesium. Hope that isn't too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
it? If not. . .

Have you tried the slo-mag brand? They get into your system a little at a time and may not do that as much or maybe a pharmacist can recommend one that doesn't do that? Actually, what brand do you take? I could use a little more stomach upset, lol.
staywarm2 - I'm glad that helped. Normal dose of magnesium is 200-250 mg, so that should be fine.

stepka, I take the Now brand of magnesium citrate - one 225 mg tab every night. It keeps things moving!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
Try having a small complex carb with protien and a little fat just before bed. I struggle with exact same problem and discovered that its
a combination of erratic blood sugar, low serotonin, and spiked cortisol. A zinc tab with magnesium before bed lowers cortisol, the small meal helps with serotonin and also keeps blood sugar stable till morning. If I do wake too early, a few deep breaths help me fall right back to sleep. Inhale deeply thru nose, hold a couple seconds, then exhale slowly out your mouth. I eat a whole grain piece of toast with generous amount of almond butter, and sometimes also a soft boiled egg along with it. Protien, carb, & fat. Keeps me stable thru the night. The zinc helps with racing mind because its a copper antagonist. Look up copper toxicity.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
The remedy is there if you want it.
Starts with an S ends with an X.
This will raise more than your levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness