Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

If you do take an SSRI you really need to give it more than a brief time to work. They usually take about 30 days to yield the desired results, at least that's the norm for paxil. You'll feel bad before that but just need to stick it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
I had the best sleep of my life 8 yrs. ago when I used to walk every evening at 5 pm with a good friend/neighbor. We walked our entire small neighborhood and talked about what was going on in our lives, as well as the greater picture of the world. We did this for about 2 yrs. until we both moved. I can remember sleeping very deeply without waking during that period. I think it was a combination of the exercise and having a support system almost every day.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I had the best sleep of my life 8 yrs. ago when I used to walk every evening at 5 pm with a good friend/neighbor. We walked our entire small neighborhood and talked about what was going on in our lives, as well as the greater picture of the world. We did this for about 2 yrs. until we both moved. I can remember sleeping very deeply without waking during that period. I think it was a combination of the exercise and having a support system almost every day.
That sounds so nice.
The way you write about it made me feel kind of sad.
I really wish i had that these days ... someone to take a long walk and talk with (well, i do have my dog but she's not much of a conversationalist).
And a long walk in the evening is a good thing however heavy / aerobic exercise in the evening is not the best thing when someone has sleep issues.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you do take an SSRI you really need to give it more than a brief time to work. They usually take about 30 days to yield the desired results, at least that's the norm for paxil. You'll feel bad before that but just need to stick it out.

however one needs to proceed with caution with the SSRI as withdrawals from them are HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Unusual -- ?? In that none of the above mentioned remedies work?

Valerian - gave me an accelerated heartbeat.

KavaKava -- did nothing.

Benedryl - I have allergies and I take a lot of antihistamines. Benadryl stopped making me sleepy a long time ago. I would have to take large doses and I am not sure what is safe any more.

Hot baths - gave me dry skin.

I agree -- I do have a severe case, which is why I am here. Hoping against all hope that someone else has experience and can suggest something.
Hmmmmm

Well, as one of the other posters mentioned, regular exercise outdoors is very beneficial and can help.

Assuming that you don't have any problem with alcohol, you might also try a little warm spiced red wine.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Hmmmmm

Well, as one of the other posters mentioned, regular exercise outdoors is very beneficial and can help.

Assuming that you don't have any problem with alcohol, you might also try a little warm spiced red wine.
Nope no problems with alcohol -- love me some red wine!

However, just about every doctor I've spoken with said alcohol actually interferes with sleep.

I've found this to be true as well. It helps me nod off easily enough -- but once it wears off (in the middle of the night), it can cause an adrenaline surge and actually force you to wake up.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Lol -- thanks for the laugh! And I kind of agree with you -- I am extremely skeptical, but so desperate for relief that I am considering it.

FYI - I am not that overweight, so I don't think that's what causing it. I am at the high end of normal for my height/age, etc., but I have to really work at maintaining it.

Also -- my experiences with melatonin have not been positive. Does not induce sleep and makes me extremely groggy during the day.

I've also tried valerian, kava kava and bendryl. They do not work.

I try to exercise, but I seem to need extreme amounts of it to have an effect. And then I get sore and unmotivated. The last really great nights sleep I had was during a spring trip to NYC. I thought I would really have trouble, because of the noise, being in a strange bed, etc. But we walked non-stop *all day* -- and the noise is so high and constant that it was almost like background noise -- filtered out unpleasant things like DH's snoring and noisy hotel neighbors coming in at 3 a.m.

What about 5htp? Has anyone had success with it?

Thanks for all of your replies - I appreciate the support!
I am a big fan of 5-htp. I've had bouts of insomnia for years and I've tried every herbal remedy out there. 5-htp helped with my anxiety and sleep with no noticable side effects. Another one to try is magnesium. I take calcium and magnesium before going to bed and these alone have improved my sleep significantly.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM

233 posts, read 753,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
i have been telling people this for so long and i get mocked for it...

exercise is good
community is good
thinking is good

put these all together and you have an awesome combination for a balanced life

whether you accept it or not we have certain traits inherent that are left over from thousands of years of similar lifestyle (small communities, hunting game (exercise, violence), and survival of the fittest) -

now we sit at computers for 9 hours a day and go home and sit at the tv for 4

and we wonder why we cant sleep?

my advice: exercise and community, you sound overly sensitive to your surroundings

btw what type of medication are you on? i would maybe guess seroquel or some other 'mood stabilizer' that is not an ssri?

this could be important

also intimate relations are good on a regular basis..gotta do normal things for your body to feel normal ...exercise, intimacy, community, etc are just what the doctor should prescribe..but can not afford to get his wife plastic surgery with advice eh?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Nope no problems with alcohol -- love me some red wine!

However, just about every doctor I've spoken with said alcohol actually interferes with sleep.

I've found this to be true as well. It helps me nod off easily enough -- but once it wears off (in the middle of the night), it can cause an adrenaline surge and actually force you to wake up.
repeat the process LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Well, there's always the option of a good indica strain.
It works very nicely with the homeopathic remedy that i recommended.
I'm in a state where medical marijuana is legal.
Are you?
And dry skin after a hot bath > a good body lotion or oil (sesame oil [organic, unrefined] is particularly warming and relaxing) does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness