Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,815 times

Advertisements

Ok here is problem. my husband is on perm disabilty due to back and let injuries over 5 years ago,he's been seeing an orthopedic dr for some time now. he pretty much does nothing for him except prescribe pain meds(percs)the help somewhat but he has such bad nerve damage in his leg that its a constant pain and numbing feeling. so during summer he sent him for all kinds of tests.mri,nerve tests ect. dont know why. well he made follow up appt to go over tests and the dr never went over tests came in acted as if he was checking his blood pressure and his heart,five min later nurse came in with prescriptions and said he was done. now my husband is the type of guy who will not say anything just complain to me when he gets home.so he called back to ask about the results and they said they didnt have them in yet so he made an appt yet again. so the appt was made for 4 pm yesterday. i went with him so i can ask questions we get there and the rude girl at desk said it was for 2 pm and the dr cant see him. i was livid i know the appt was for 4 i was there when he made it. i heard him say 4 pm correct.. omg i was pissed. so anyway he does not want to go back to him. question is since its such chronic pain should he go to pain managment or ortho? he had medicade.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Neurontin is the drug of choice for nerve pain. In simple terms, it makes it harder for the nerve to transmit the pain signal to the brain. It can be quite sedating when you first start it (I fell asleep sitting up while talking to someone!) so you might want to start it at night. Over time, you can take it more frequently and at higher doses.

If you do change docs, ask for the records of the tests to be sent to the new one. They will send them for free but many docs charge to give you a copy.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
IMO there's no reason to put up with rudeness. It's kinda hard to follow what exactly you're getting at in your post. Is it that the ortho DR. is just writing scripts? Is your husband undermedicated?...sounds like it to me. Keep in mind there are D.O.s and Orthopedic Surgeons.

Don't know how it is in your state but if you go to pain management in FL you'll be written scripts by a D.O. , they're one and the same. Perhaps he needs a supplement to the percs like I take 10/325 Hydrocodones and 10 mg Valiums for the tingling, numbness, spasms in my nerves.

I try to stay out of Schedule 2 world as much as possible although I have been prescribed Dilaudids, but had to tell the Doc I don't want to be "Woodstocked" here, just keep me out of pain, now I wish I would've stayed on them because one builds a tolerance to meds after awhile.

Whatever you do I wouldn't get involved with the high mg oxycodones, there's a chronic shortage of them and I've seen them destroy a couple of people. I know a couple of people who get prescribed Morphine Sulphates and they seem to be happy with them. I'd get a differnet Dr. and also get the opinion of a Surgeon to see if he could help. I'm kinda in the same boat, here's your scripts , see ya next month, and yes there is an attitude sometimes.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Thank you so much for input, just confused as to if he should see an ortho doc or pain management

Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM

I would go to another ortho that specializes in backs. Maybe there is a surgery that would help (I've had both lower back and upper done and it helped a lot). Medical advances move quickly. Call your local medical society and ask who specializes in backs. Or ask for a referral to a major hospital somewhere near you. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Remember medicaid won't be accepted by every doc so you will have to first find out which doctors you/he can go see.
Then I would call the office of one or the other , explain your dilemma to the PA. They should be able to advise you if an orthopedist or pain management is right for you/him. It sounds like, with all the tests they did, there may be more an ortho could do for you but just speculating.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Thank you so much for input, just confused as to if he should see an ortho doc or pain management
Maybe both. He probably needs the pain management doctor for the meds, but don't expect the pain management doctor to actually have solutions. You need to have the doctor go over all test results with you and explain what is causing the pain. Then have him tell you what can be done about it. Once you've done that, show the results to the ortho for another opinion.

Sometimes surgery can help. Sometimes pain management is all that can be done. My husband has been dealing with this for over 25 years.

I agree that it's better not to take oxycodone if something else will help. Heat, stretches, ice, lifestyle changes, whatever is needed.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
if there's a neurologist on the list, go there.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM

we know what its from,he had an accident in 2001 broke his leg,swelling built up in calf and he had compartment syndrome and had to have fasciotomy and that destroyed all nerves in calf to the foot. he has no feeling at all just constant pins and needles like when your arm falls asleep. so thats when the pain meds do help. thats why we couldnt understand why the doc ordered all those tests. nothing can reverse or fix his problem. the nerves are shot.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Ah, so it's definitely time for a new doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness