U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
 
919 posts, read 1,864,347 times
Reputation: 772

Advertisements

I sleep on a matress on the floor with my head against the wall where electric wiring runs to the outlet. Does electric wiring give off sume currents or something that might be harmful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Reputation: 2035
If the wiring isn't faulty it should be o.k. and should not be emitting anything harmful.
If you're really concerned you can buy a meter and see for yourself.
I have one myself as i'm one of those people who is concerned about emf radiation.
This one is costly but it measures electric, magnetic and radio / microwave emissions.

Amazon.com: Trifield 100XE EMF Meter

Until you know for sure and if you're concerned you may want to rearrange your bedroom so that your head is not up against the wall and wiring that you are concerned about.

Some people think the concern is silly.
I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
I would be mostly concerned about accidentally stressing a plug in your sleep, partially pushing it out of the socket. Try running an extension cord from another outlet. As for a wall socket with nothing plugged into it, you can buy plastic covers very cheaply at any dollar store that will even render the sockets child-proof.

If there is nothing plugged into that outlet, then there is also no current running through the wires in the wall behind it, so even if there was any potential RF risk from nearby exposure, the wires are inert while not delivering current to any turned-on electrical device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would be mostly concerned about accidentally stressing a plug in your sleep, partially pushing it out of the socket. Try running an extension cord from another outlet. As for a wall socket with nothing plugged into it, you can buy plastic covers very cheaply at any dollar store that will even render the sockets child-proof.

If there is nothing plugged into that outlet, then there is also no current running through the wires in the wall behind it, so even if there was any potential RF risk from nearby exposure, the wires are inert while not delivering current to any turned-on electrical device.

Unless there's faulty wiring which, as i said, may be generating higher than usual EMF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Upper St. Clair
659 posts, read 954,064 times
Reputation: 354
I am also concerned about electromagnetcis as well...I think most people do not know of the dangers and the risks that we have in our lives on a daily basis...I think its an legimate concern. I have a friend who wont wear undrwires in her bra...I don't go that far, however she is much more educated than I am on the matter...I also try to just text with my cell...just to be safe. I grew up around many phone and electrical wires right outside my window...that concerns me too...still have them around me today...electromagnetics is not an very well know issue for most...I am doing more research myself on them lately. Have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Unless there's faulty wiring which, as i said, may be generating higher than usual EMF.
Even if the wiring is faulty, there is no current running through it if there no working appliance plugged into it and drawing current. It'll just be two inert dead-end wires. If there is current going through, it will be unimpeded and it will be blowing breakers.

The OP has not come back to explain whether anything is plugged into the nearby socket or not, and whether the device is turned on while sleeping. which seems to me to be a pretty relevant point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Reputation: 1080
Even if something is not plugged into the outlet, there might be current running through the wires if another outlet is drawing power further down the circuit. Example: if a wire goes from the breaker box, through the outlet at the OP's head, then to 4 other outlets, a device that is plugged into any of the other "downstream" outlets would draw current though the first outlet (assuming that the device is turned on.) If I am not mistaken, electrical outlets and lights are usually on different circuits, but I suppose it's possible for a light to be in the same circuit as an outlet.

That said, I would guess that the current going through a household outlet would be unlikely to cause harmful effects to a human head that's a few inches away from the outlet. I all modern homes, there are wires going through virtually every wall, floor, and ceiling. Most bed headboards are flush against a wall. I don't think this has caused much of a problem since electricity become popular in homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
 
3,252 posts, read 6,059,372 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Unless there's faulty wiring which, as i said, may be generating higher than usual EMF.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm, could you explain exactly what 'faulty wiring' will be generating higher-than-usual EMF?

If you have a high-voltage transmission line in your wall (like 50kV), you may want to have some concern.

The earth generates about a 500mG field, but granted that is a DC field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top